Topic: Edward Lee

In my opinion, Edward Lee is the nastiest author you will ever find in a bookstore. His books are filled with graphic sex and gore, but his prose and storytelling are on par with Laymon and King.  His Hell trilogy would make one of the greatest horror movies of all time, although I don't think anyone would ever try to put it on film. It would have to be XXX.  Is anyone else as big a fan as I? If you haven't read him, please do so asap. You won't be dissapointed.

Re: Edward Lee

You say the Hell trilogy, anything else that you'd recommend?  I'm always up for something new and disgusting!!!!

The Hell trilogy is:
Infernal Angel
City Infernal
House Infernal

I also recommend
Slither
Monstrosity
Flesh Gothic
The Backwoods

Its nasty stuff, but so well written.

Last edited by Bloodwave DVD (2008-12-21 03:59:58)

I'll have to check those you, thank you...the nastier the better!

His newest book is Brides Of The Impaler. Its not quite as graphic as some of his previous works but still fun. Its kind of a tribute to 70's Eurohorror. He actually acknowlodges Paul Naschy, Jean Rollin and Amando De Ossorio, in the forward as inspirations. A lot of street names and characters are from 70's horror like Laura Eastman and George Gemser. Only people like us would get that.

I am so excited to read these, it's been a while since I've been introduced to something new and exciting...like about 5 years ago when I found out about Jack Ketchum.  Thank you for all the info!

Haven't heard of him but it sounds like he writes like Laymon. I'll have to check it out.

I've heard of Edward Lee. I saw his book, I think it was City Infernal, in the book store and a quote on the cover made me pick it up. It said "Lee is the one who crosses the line". What a great endorsment for a horror writer.
But, I read a few pages and it didn't grab me. Though, I might give him a second chance now.

Another author to check out is Jack Ketchum. A friend of mine has a book called Triage where Jack Ketchum, Edward Lee, and Richard Laymon contribute short stories all based on the same premise. But, they take it in their own twisted directions.

I think these guys are known as Horror Punk authors. I heard that somewhere.

Ketchum is slowly becoming the best at what he does

Lee's books are really hard to find, at least around here, and a lot of them are out of print.  I've only found Slither and I really liked it; would like to read more.  Another good one is supposed to be Header; they made a movie but don't know if it's on dvd.  I'll have to look for his new one.  Ketchum is great and very addictive.

A lot of his books are being re-released. You can get them from amazon.com, or order them from your bookstore. Some of the older ones like Header and The Big Head (which is the one that gained him notoriety) are still very hard to find at a reasonable price. I haven't been able to find them myself. But a lot of his more recent stuff, (the ones I mentioned above) should be easy to find.

Thanks Bloodwave smile  I was just at Borders the other day and there was one book there, City Infernal.  I guess it's best to read them in a series so I would try to order all three.  I really want to read Header; guess we should always just keep looking and maybe get lucky.

I know this thread is a  little old, but I love Edward Lee.  I just finished reading The Black Train.  I'm trying to find a copy of The Bighead or The House.

My favorite of his is probably his early novella HEADER.

UndeadRockR wrote:

Another author to check out is Jack Ketchum. A friend of mine has a book called Triage where Jack Ketchum, Edward Lee, and Richard Laymon contribute short stories all based on the same premise. But, they take it in their own twisted directions.

Triage was a really good read and a neat idea to take the same premise and see how different Authors would write about it.

PzykoGore wrote:

I know this thread is a  little old, but I love Edward Lee.  I just finished reading The Black Train.  I'm trying to find a copy of The Bighead or The House.

Yeah this Thread is old, but did a search and was excited to see others that have actually read Edward.  I've read 10+ of his books, which was about all I could get.  Haven't read the ones in the above quote.

JN - Also haven't read Header, saw the movie.  These books were pretty hard to find.

Lee's bibliography from his official website.