Topic: Trying to Identify Horror Collection from mid-70's

When I was a kid, I got a book of scary stories for kids as a Christmas gift (probably 1976-77).  That book scared the bejeezus out of me; I finally had to give it back to my mom, insisting she get rid of it.

I've been trying to find either the stories or the book for years since then. I don't remember all the stories well, but I can remember a couple that particularly scared me. Hopefully they'll ring a bell with someone:

One story featured a family with kids moving into a country house with a creepy old tree outside. Each night, the son sees the shadow of the tree getting closer and closer to the house. One night the shadow reaches the house, gets in, and comes alive, attacking the family. I don't remember how the story ends.

The other story I can recall had two kids, a boy and a girl, maybe brother and sister, who were messing around with alchemy or some book of transmutation. The girl (named Miriam, I remember that) gets turned into a horrible, small flying beetle creature, and the boy ends up squashing her. After she's dead, her remains are clearly those of a miniature human.

There was also a story about a haunted school bus, I think, but that is a very vague recollection. If you know the book, or the stories, that I'm talking about, please let me know! Thanks very much.

Re: Trying to Identify Horror Collection from mid-70's

Sweetlock, all those stories sounds excellent/creepy with just a twist of Lovecraft:)
dunno what the book is though, I hope you find out...once freaked always freaked lol

"once freaked always freaked"
thats how I've live my life and thanks to the mothers freak out album that showed me the way to my salvation...

I was looking for this book as well, but only remembered the tree story. I think I remember that there was some murderer buried under it or that there was blood spilled on the tree during some bad event that turned the tree bad.

I can also add that I read a lot of those types of books under the Alfred Hitchcock presents banner, but couldn't swear this was one of them.

The first movie with the tree was Poltergeist

the Guardian ?