Topic: HM's Horror Movie Night Date Announced & Details

Hello my fine fellow members,

The date for our real-time viewing is Saturday, May 7th, at 10PM US Eastern time.  Here is a time zone converter.  I know this places our British friends at 3AM.  This is the problem(?) of having a worldwide popular site.  (Besides, don't you have a TARDIS?)

The movie will be our own AceofSpades' Gun Town.  If you have not yet purchased GT (shame on you!), you can order it there.  Ace was nice enough to drop the price.  You still have time to order it to participate!

[edit- it has been pointed out to me that on GT's website you can watch it on YouTube for a mere $0.99.]

We will be using the free audio/chat program Ventrilo.  Several of us have tested it, and it works well.  Askani even participated using his smartphone. 

I have placed Doc_Notter's setup specs on my website so you don't have to keep scrolling around to find his post.

We will run another test on Saturday, April 30th, at 10PM US Eastern for those who want to test out their setup.  Doc_Notter and I can help if you are having problems with the software.  There will probably be another test run on Thursday, May 5th, or Friday, May 6th for any late comers.  The tests are just about 15 minutes making sure everyone can use the software, and if needed troubleshoot.

So far there have been 6 people indicating they will participate, and Ace himself said he may drop in.  Excellent chance to real time talk with the maker himself as we watch.

There are some rules:

1) Be nice.  Remember Meh's 1st rule- Respect each other.

2) Have FUN!  The whole reason for this is to try to get members together.  We're so spread out getting together in one physical place is pretty impossible, so I figured this is the next best thing.

3) Try to stay mostly on topic.  Movie comparisons are OK.  Talking about your laundry, not so much.

4) Ummm, bring your own popcorn?

I want this to be a positive experience for HM.ca.  If the thing tanks, so be it, we tried.  If it works, we could try it again.

I, for one, am looking forward to talking with as many of you that are interested.

-Azathoth

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-26 07:41:13)

Re: HM's Horror Movie Night Date Announced & Details

Im down for this !  smile

doc_nutter?

Topic is now a sticky wink

doc_notter wrote:

doc_nutter?

what ???  I always thought that was his name....

azathoth wrote:

3) Try to stay mostly on topic.  Movie comparisons are OK.  Talking about your laundry, not so much.

How dare you ask such a thing of us?  Do you even read these forums?  Do you even know the people you're saying this to?  You ask too much.  How dare you, sir?

doc_notter wrote:

doc_nutter?

Sorry!
Monkee no speel so goood

Cap Howdy wrote:

Topic is now a sticky wink

Thanks hoss.

LoudLon wrote:
azathoth wrote:

How dare you ask such a thing of us?  Do you even read these forums?  Do you even know the people you're saying this to?  You ask too much.  How dare you, sir?

<<------
I dare because I travel the paths were even angels fear to tread. 
And I'm insane. 
And a monkey lord.

big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2011-04-23 22:59:19)

azathoth wrote:

I dare because I travel the paths were even angels fear to tread.

Works for me.  Dare away!

Ghosty- date has been announced.

Wolfster- any interest in attending the shindig?  I know the time sucks for you, and you hate my guts and all....

tongue

Countdown-   13 days to movie night

Wait what is this? I don't get it?

Baby_Firefly wrote:

Wait what is this? I don't get it?

Did you see my first post in the thread?

On May 7th, those who want will play Gun Town at the same time while doing audio/typing chat.  Kind of a dispersed get together watching a movie.  Idea is we watch movie together and chat (or type) as it goes along.

Not sure of your exact location, but you would be somewhere in the 11AM-1PM Sunday local time for you.  If you want to join in and have more questions, let me know!  We want people to have fun with this.

Thanks Az...appreciate all the work setting this up.  Of course...being the control freak you are, that was really the only option...still nice of you!  smile  Really though, thanks.

I've tried to get back in there a few times and Ventrilo has this in the start up box:

? MSG: Contacting Server

When I go to connect nothing changes.  Could this be cuz we don't have access right now, or is something screwed up for me again?  Doc?

Access shouldn't be an issue, we invite people in all the time, and have for years, honestly sounds like more of a firewall,  or some similar issue.

Sounds fun. It's a shame I won't be able to join you. I'm going to go ahead and download the program. Sooner or later I might be able to join you guys one night.

Ghostseeker wrote:

I've tried to get back in there a few times and Ventrilo has this in the start up box:

? MSG: Contacting Server

I can't get into Ventrilo.  Still have the above issue.  I have looked on-line and this is a fairly common problem.  People have spent a lot of time and have not been able to figure out why it is happening.  I have tried many things too.  So...unless an IP or Port number has changed, and I assume it hasn't, then it seems I will not be able to get in there.  Jut FYI Az, prob one less person for movie night.  I'll try to work on it though.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Thanks Az...appreciate all the work setting this up.  Of course...being the control freak you are, that was really the only option...still nice of you!  smile  Really though, thanks.

It's not so much that I'm a control freak, but rather someone has to make the decision and pull the trigger.  And since this is the first time, that I know of, that this has been tried on HM, well I had to pick something. 

I'd be more than happy to pass the (if it happens) next movie night to someone else to coordinate.  So much harder than I anticipated. 

I hope you can figure out your problem, it would suck to not have you there since you were backing this the entire way.  sad

I may have found the problem.  I ran nmap on port 27642, and it came back as "closed/unknown".

Doc, can you check to see if the port has been changed?  Thanks.

Looks like it is ventrilo's problem, i cant get in either, i will contact the owner tomorrow and have him reset it, happens occasionally, but normally easy to fix.

This will make Ghosty happy.  Poor guy.

13 days....

Excellent!