Topic: Cloverfield suddenly hits hype overload.....

Yeah I know horror fans have been aware of this movie for quite sometime, but suddenly general movie sites are getting all excited. This tends to piss me off to be honest, as the hype goes into overload, and then when results don't match horror comes under further attacks. Same happened with SOAP.

To general movie fans and sites, please keep up with developments, the movie is going to be good will hook the core market but doesn't look like a $100 million plus breakout.

BTW horror sites have been reporting for quite sometime, general movie sites now reporting with some teaser sites going up. Yes I know horrordom only has one genre to keep an eye on, but surely general movie sites could perhaps have their finger on the pulse here.

Re: Cloverfield suddenly hits hype overload.....

you can always count on the mainstream to pick up on films.. especially when there is big money involved. Get pissed off when the studio ignores the horror sites like us to talk to the big corporate non horror entities. that ticks me off.

Reminds me of the hype created for Snakes on a Plane.  That just took off on all movie websites and was the big internet sensation......then it came out and majorly tanked for a movie with such huge buzz.  Lets hope Cloverfield or whatever is chooses to be called can at least live up to the hype, as most movies usually dont.

SOAP began feeding off its own hype and people began to believe it.. I think with that film people were really mocking it. Not taking it seriously and really had no interest in seeing the film. They just thought it had a dumb name and started to play on that..

I see Cloverfield as a totally different thing..

I definitely agree on that about the whole hype with SOAP. But how i see between SOAP and the Untitled monster movie, it will be 10x's better and more enjoyable at that. And i'm not calling it Cloverfield or 1-18-08 b/c there isn't a title out there that has been released for the movie.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

I definitely agree on that about the whole hype with SOAP. But how i see between SOAP and the Untitled monster movie, it will be 10x's better and more enjoyable at that. And i'm not calling it Cloverfield or 1-18-08 b/c there isn't a title out there that has been released for the movie.

BDD we all know the "Untitled Monster Movie" is going to be a hell of a lot better than SOAP (the name should have given that one away, "B" grade), wont necessarily translate into Box Office figures end of day. Actually picking the new one to do around $25 million considering the Jan release date ... notably happy dumbing ground for contractual movies.

However the one thing 1408 proved is the genre can have a hit outside normal release windows for horror.

Just waiting on the normal "it didn't do as well as expected, but it's just a horror movie after all" to start happening late Jan 2008. End of day, low budget, will make a profit, can the same be said about all the big tent poles?

As Meh says, the general sites need to start talking to horrordom and not rely on hype and Studio spokes-muffins. We're all still waiting on the big grossing horror flicks of the year, result thus far disappointing for a number of movies, but predictions being hit for a lot of others, with 1408 proving to be a "real" sleeper. Check general sites, that doesn't rate a mention.