Topic: Dark Tower Movie Update!

Last we heard about the planned multi platform adaptation of Stephen King's Dark Tower series was that the lead role of The Gunslinger, Roland Deshcain, was offered to Javier Bardem. Now although we haven't heard anything official from the man himself, producer Brian Glazer tells MTV that he really wants to play the part.

"'Dark Tower,' Javier Bardem, that's what we're hoping. We're in the process of trying to put that together. Will that make you happy? Will that make MTV happy?"

MTV said yes, it would! Then asked for an update. Has he signed on officially?

"He's locked in psychologically, He really wants to do it, so we're absolutely rooting for him to do it."

No, I'm not 100% sure what that means either. But long story short, he's interested! I admit I wasn't behind this choice when I first heard it, but Bardem is growing on me!

PunBB bbcode test

Last edited by thefinalsolution (2011-03-04 13:19:58)

Re: Dark Tower Movie Update!

Man, so reported.

I am a little hesitant on all this. I'm not sure a movie or a TV series could even scratch the surface of the world that King created for this. I'm wondering how they will show things like the Plaster Man or the Prancers... oh wait... CGI. Bardem seems like a good choice, though.

Yeah, King's stuff rarely translates well without an extended running time.  Especially with the Dark Tower, that ran, what 2500 pages?

I am shocked at how well they adapted The Stand. For a book that took me ages to get through, it was done pretty nicely.

Xtro wrote:

I am shocked at how well they adapted The Stand. For a book that took me ages to get through, it was done pretty nicely.

Well, with 8 hours for a 800 page book (the miniseries was based on the original, not the new uncut version), that's about 100 page/hour, which isn't too far off the screenplay standard of 1 page = 1 minute.  And since King is very deep into detail, and a picture = 1000 words, it works out.

I like it, too.  It aired during a vacation when I went down with my college buddies to Ocean City, NJ.  We'd go to the beach, eat dinner, watch the show, and then do.... other things.

I was skeptical at first because the book really tugged on my emotional strings and when the TV show ended, I almost cried at how the three main characters were killed. I'd have to say The Stand is King's magnum opus.

I agree on everything....the show/movies will work if king is heavily involved.  Just curious who they would get to p lay the wizard/man in black. I think this project will be amazing.

If done correctly.

I'm not sure I would have pictured him in this role, but yeah, now I think he could do it.  Really looking forward to this finally hitting the screen.

Deadline is reporting that writer Mark Verheiden, currently a showrunner on TNT's Falling Skies, will be co-writing with Akiva Goldsman the TV portion of NBC's adaptation.

Writes Deadline: "This marks Verheiden's return to NBC and UMS following his turn as a supervising producer on Heroes. He also was a writer/co-exec producer on the NBCU series Battlestar Galactica, which ran on Syfy. He most recently served as a co-executive producer of TNT's upcoming sci-fi series Falling Skies, from DreamWorks TV."

I can't believe this crazy concept of crossing TV and film is actually going to happen!

Last edited by thefinalsolution (2011-04-13 03:01:14)

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

The more I hear about this the more I can't wait to see how it turns out. I kinda wanna see how they will translate all those creatures to TV.

Javier Bardem Is Roland Deschain In The Dark Tower!!!

The New York Times reports:

"Javier Bardem has officially signed an epic deal to star in the movie and TV adaptations of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" book series. The Oscar-winning actor will play Roland Deschain in the eagerly awaited Ron Howard and Brian Grazer adaptation of King's beloved seven-novel saga.

It's a momentous deal because each of the three movies in the series is to be followed by a TV miniseries. A well-placed source confirmed to Page Six, "Bardem has signed on to the first movie and the miniseries, but the intention is that he will star in all three movies and each of the TV series. It's an enormous deal for any actor, but Bardem was always the first choice."

I'm so stoked for this choice. Just watch 'No Country For Old Men", slap a cowboy on him and imagine him relentlessly hunting down the Man In Black and gunning down slow mutants. Awesome!

PunBB bbcode test

Last edited by thefinalsolution (2011-04-27 15:57:17)

Javier Bardem's IMDB page.

I am skeptical that they can pull it off without rewriting the story given it is sooooo long and so strange of a series. I jut started book 4.

Lucky you! Wizard and Glass was my favorite. I've read it a few times. Have you read the comic series? They started with the 4th book and went chronologically from there filling in gaps that King left out. Its pretty good.

PunBB bbcode test

thought i read somewhere that this was cancelled.  Can't find where tho.

The studio got scared of Ron Howard's proposed budget. It was up in limbo for a couple days, but they have agreed on a lower budget. Rewrites to reflect the new budget are being done now, which will push back the September start date. Hopefully Javier Bardem sticks around.

PunBB bbcode test

Last edited by thefinalsolution (2011-05-21 02:26:21)

Xtro wrote:

I am a little hesitant on all this. I'm not sure a movie or a TV series could even scratch the surface of the world that King created for this. I'm wondering how they will show things like the Plaster Man or the Prancers... oh wait... CGI. Bardem seems like a good choice, though.

I'm somewhat skeptical too.  Maybe because I found the story so great.  Although I breezed through the others, it's been two years and I still didn't even finish the the last one yet, The Dark Tower.  In fact, let me get back to it now.

They better not screw this up. Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to be optimistic.

So very excited, and so very hesitant. I know I'll watch it regardless, so here's hoping its done well. I really need to go read the books again, and throw them comics into the reading order also.

Xtro wrote:

The more I hear about this the more I can't wait to see how it turns out. I kinda wanna see how they will translate all those creatures to TV.

I agree with that,I kinda curious how they  should do that.

Im eager to see this movie! Javier Bardem is a great pick to play Roland! wow.....*fingers crossed*