Re: editted

Found this in a pile of current comics at the swap meet last weekend. It’s from 1974 great vintage artwork and pretty good stories. I love the ads in old comics too, I wonder if any kids actually got any of those prizes selling greeting cards or learned kung fu by a mail order booklet? It’s pretty tattered but for fifty cents I was stoked.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/swollenguy78/wwt.jpg

OOOOOOOHHHHH  what a find !!!!!!  im soooooooo jealous

PunBB bbcode test

House of Mystery was my favourite as a kid, any issue I got scared me but I bought them anyway. smile

It wasn't a comic in its own right, but Bernie Wrightson's "Freaks", serialized in Heavy Metal, was probably the best classic horror comic I can recall. Fortunately, the episodes were later collected into a single edition, which may still be available today.

I dabbled in horror comics back in the day -- I've read Faust (Avatar Press/Rebel Studios) which was a black and white comic from the early 90s which featured heavy gore and explicit sex.  A couple old issues of Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing (DC Comics).  I  have a 4-issue limited series from the 80s of Demon (DC) somewhere in one of my two old long-boxes of comics.  And I've checked out a few other titles from various independent presses and what-not.

I just never really got heavily into horror comics in general, though.  I always preferred my horror in book or film form.  That said, I'd love to get my hands on some of the old EC comics, which were already hard to find even when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s.

Back when I was a kid I read some of those cheap horror comics.  My mom even bought some of them for me.  Cool mom.  Then I crashed her car (different story).  I wonder if I have any of those still stashed away somewhere?

RE Reading the beginning of Locke and Key comics and The Stand...don't have them all bummer

I have a pop up book of Stephen Kings The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, its pretty kewl

I love horror comics, i've always been a comic fan in general,but when I saw horror comics, my love for comics got even bigger, I love all the classic EC comics, there stories were amazing and the covers were some of the best covers ever! they were so unique and edgy unlike some of today's covers...but I think the best comic series that is out has to be personally for me The Walking Dead i've been hooked since issue #1 and i'm a fan of anything zombie related so! big_smile

I was a Marvel kid growing up, and stuck almost exclusively with superheroes, but if there wasn't anything new out when we were at the store, I would sometimes pick up a copy of Weird War Tales. That was really good, I wish I had added that to my regular list back then. Then again, it was my parents buying them, so maybe it's best I didn't push my luck, lol.

sleazydinosaur wrote:

I was a Marvel kid growing up, and stuck almost exclusively with superheroes, but if there wasn't anything new out when we were at the store, I would sometimes pick up a copy of Weird War Tales. That was really good, I wish I had added that to my regular list back then. Then again, it was my parents buying them, so maybe it's best I didn't push my luck, lol.

I still have some issues of the Weird Ware Tales, I found them a few months ago, I never even knew I had them honestly haha, they really have a old Tales From The Crypt feel, which I like alot.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

I remember loving Horror comics growing up. Back when you could get a comic for under a buck.
I used to collect Mystery, The Unexpected, The Witching Hour, The many ghosts of Dr Graves
AH gone are the days when mothers would happily buy their kids comics filled with ghosts, zombies, blood and murder...sold on the same rack right next to Archie and Spiderman

The best part of the comics was the cover art.

since this site keeps fucking up my posts ill try and recap what my original post here was...

always been a fan of horror comics since i learned to read, especially the EC comics. i used to buy them in the dollar stores in pre-mixed bags to restore the ones i had lost as a kid.

have you checked out the essential reprints by marvel? there is also a subset of those called essential horror now.  also DC has similar reprints called showcase i believe.

and one of my favorite gifts of all time was when Maven gave me a hardcover set of EC comics several years ago. very kick ass set.