Topic: Rituals

Has anybody purchased this Italian DVD release of the Canadian film, RITUALS?

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/ghostcinderella/Picture1-1.png

It's available on EBay from an Italian seller. The film has never seen domestic DVD release (though an uncut, new print version has been promised and promised and promised by an American distributor that has yet to deliver).

I already have two DVD-R copies of two different versions, but both transferred from video so they are not exactly clean and pristine.

Anyway... if anybody has intel on this DVD, I'd love to hear about it.

Re: Rituals

I don't own the Italian DVD, but I own a DVD-R. I've been waiting for the official dvd release but it doesn't look like it's coming out anytime soon. Pretty cool slasher type film though.

yeah I dig it as well, I recently grabbed a print online to give it another needed looksy just this past week.
Weird it's suddenly brought up. LOL

Well I figured it was too obscure a release for anyone to know, so I've gone ahead and bid on it via EBay Italy (I often bid on the actually International sites as they have the coolest stuff) . And yes... this film deserves a full restoration and God damn Blu-ray release. This dark, Deliverance-style film is one of the best Canadian horror films ever made.

Just an update... the CodeRed release (April 19) is FANTASTIC considering the age and scarcity of prints.... and no negative. 

The print was culled from the family of the (late) director Peter Carter and is easily the best seen since the film's initial release.

A couple of notes.

While the print is a major galaxy leap over anything previously released, it is still, during reel changes laden with scratches et el.... But as the film is pretty bleak, dark, and depressing, these scratches actually serve it well, reflecting nicely the film's atmosphere.

The film during end sequence in the killer's shack was - according to a CodeRed on-screen announcement - damaged by the processing studio in 1976, so it's less than stellar appearance is unavoidable. I however, didn't find the processing damage to be all that bad, and in fact, had I not been told, I might not have cared enough to raise questions. It looks okay to me... just a tad dark, but Carl Fullerton's Creeper make-up comes off beautifully as does the clarity of the blown off hand.

There is only one point in the film (print) that I found not to be up-to-snuff.  It occurs about 18 minutes in. For those who have seen the film, it's when the doctors are drunk and start dancing in a circle around their campfire at night, chanting "Put me back together again. Put me back together again." At this point the camera pans amidst a sudden thong of music to the woods where we see a shadow of the Creeper watching nearby. Or I should say..  Should see a shadow of....  In this print, that shot is too dark to see the Creeper, which is a mystery because in most other very inferior, darker, soft focus, and poorly transferred versions... some semblance of the Creeper is still seen. Hmmm????

Anyway... we'ez happy as SH*T that this film - the 2nd greatest Canadian survival horror ever - has finally been given its well deserved and proper DVD release. Xmas has come early, baby !!!

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2011-04-23 08:12:53)

I can't find this new release anywhere, not even online. Hopefully I makes an appearance before it goes oop :s which I something I always fear now haha.

I am looking forward to seeing this again.  It has been eons, but the hand scene still sticks with me!  I remember thinking, for the longest time, that it was a sequel to, or in some way related to Deliverance, which of course it is not.

alien25 wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing this again.  It has been eons, but the hand scene still sticks with me!  I remember thinking, for the longest time, that it was a sequel to, or in some way related to Deliverance, which of course it is not.

To be honest and frank.... this film is grizzlier than Deliverance, and on a human emotion level, significantly deeper. As you may well remember, the guys in Rituals are not just friends, as in Deliverance, but also doctors/colleagues, two are brothers, one is gay. The sheer number of issues, personal, professional, and ethical, that they touch on is staggering, and the drama is intense because of it. Rituals is truly one film that LITERALLY  does not waste a single solitary line of dialogue. It achieves what few films I have seen can: the characters are as real as can be, almost cinema verte; the dialogue extremely organic, and the resulting drama is still compelling on every level as a horror/survival B-film. These doctors debate, argue, philosophize, and spew issues about their profession, ethics, and personal demons, and it doesn't matter that WE are just viewers and they are doctors and the film is 35 years old.... what they say is so real on every level , so compelling to hear and be a part of, that you are brought into it and feel everything.
Deliverance is fun (have the Blu ray).... but it's not Rituals.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2011-05-07 16:27:39)

This is the flick aka The Creeper, co-starring Hal Holbrook, right?  I've heard of it but have yet to see it.  Avoided it because of the Deliverance comparisons.  Not that I'm not a fan of Deliverance, I'm just not a fan of rip-offs -- which up to this point I'd always heard Rituals was.

Might have to give this a go after all.

Bunshinsaba wrote:
alien25 wrote:

To be honest and frank.... this film is grizzlier than Deliverance, and on a human emotion level, significantly deeper. As you may well remember, the guys in Rituals are not just friends, as in Deliverance, but also doctors/colleagues, two are brothers, one is gay. The sheer number of issues, personal, professional, and ethical, that they touch on is staggering, and the drama is intense because of it. Rituals is truly one film that LITERALLY  does not waste a single solitary line of dialogue. It achieves what few films I have seen can: the characters are as real as can be, almost cinema verte; the dialogue extremely organic, and the resulting drama is still compelling on every level as a horror/survival B-film. These doctors debate, argue, philosophize, and spew issues about their profession, ethics, and personal demons, and it doesn't matter that WE are just viewers and they are doctors and the film is 35 years old.... what they say is so real on every level , so compelling to hear and be a part of, that you are brought into it and feel everything.
Deliverance is fun (have the Blu ray).... but it's not Rituals.

I know, I have seen them both.  I simply made the comment because it is a common misconception that the films are somehow related, which they aren't.

LoudLon wrote:

This is the flick aka The Creeper, co-starring Hal Holbrook, right?  I've heard of it but have yet to see it.  Avoided it because of the Deliverance comparisons.  Not that I'm not a fan of Deliverance, I'm just not a fan of rip-offs -- which up to this point I'd always heard Rituals was.

Might have to give this a go after all.

And Stars Wars is a rip off of Star Trek?