Topic: Best Movies of the year so far... (2011)

Before the blockbusters hit and the fantastic fall season hits lets reflect on the year so far. What have been your favorite films of 2011?? Update if you will when you see something that needs to go on this list.

My Top 5 Movies of 2011 (as of May 12):
1. Hobo With A Shotgun
2. Scre4m
3. Drive Angry 3D
4. Kaboom
5. Rubber

with the exeption of Hobo I highly doubt these will make it onto my end of the year list. Maybe Scre4m (Because I feel this is ahead of it's time and people dont understand what gem Wes and Kevin unleashed with this).

Re: Best Movies of the year so far... (2011)

Hobo is one of my faves as well.  Loved the harpooning to the ceiling - that was awesome.
I have a copy of Rubber, but still haven't given it a watch.
Drive Angry is on my to-do list - mainly thanks to Christa Campbell LOL

Hobo would be my favorite so far...I also really liked Drive Angry. Rubber was alright but, a little forgetable.

I don't think i've seen any films that were released this year to be honest,  i've been meaning to check out rubber for some time as it's written and directed by Mr Oizo who's a french electronic artist i really enjoy, he's also done another film called Steak which i have but there are no subtitles unfortunately.
And been meaning to check out Hobo and Insidious just haven't got around to it, oh and Troll Hunter, okay so there's a few from this year I need to see.

till today for me i liked Blood Out movie oh wao what a great movie to watch. i really like this movie.great action movie to watch.

"Rubber" out "The Bang Bang Club" in!

I'm yet to actually see any 2011 movies (that or I'm not paying attention to dates).  Huge titles coming up, though.  I can't wait

Damn Hobo with a shotgun hasn't been released in Australia yet.. i really wanna see that.

Hasn't been much strictly genre wise.

Insidious was pretty good. Really the only true genre movie from 2011 I've seen.

Hobo was awesome, one of the best of the year for sure.

Sucker Punch would be my fave flick of the year overall so far. SO underrated. The critics scared people away with their closed minded assery, and once it hits DVD, people will kick themselves for not seeing it earlier.

Unknown was solid. It was pretty much a rehash of Bourne Identity, but Liam Neeson was awesome, so it worked.

Hanna was fantastic. It felt a little unfinished at points, but overall, twas a great ride.

Fast Five was pretty mindless. Since it's pretty much Ocean's 11 meets Italian Job, it was good for what it was. Pointless action, shitty dialogue and camp acting.

Battle L.A. was okay. Better than I was expecting. I figured it would go the cheese disaster flick route, but they kept towards the more "serious" side, and it kinda worked.

That's pretty much all the 2011 releases I've seen this year. Not much left at this point either, since EVERYTHING and it's brother is in $D, er, 3D. Cowboys vs Aliens I'll check out (mostly since it's not in 3D). Cabin In The Woods in Oct and Apollo 18 in Aug are musts. Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark should be good, and The Tunnel is a given (since it's free.... until I buy the DVD down the road). Oh, and Troll Hunter, if it EVER gets some kind of legit release. Probably a few others I'm either forgetting or haven't been announced yet.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

Sucker Punch would be my fave flick of the year overall so far. SO underrated. The critics scared people away with their closed minded assery, and once it hits DVD, people will kick themselves for not seeing it earlier.

The only reason this will be true is because it will be the extended cut. SP was one of the biggest disappointments in years!! The reason because Snyder bent down and sucked the dick of the studio to make it PG-13. Hopefully the extra 18 min will be back to form in the R world. The film could have been so much but shy'd away from everything. If you want to talk about an underrated film that the critics scared people from lets talk about Speed Racer! But SP deserved the harsh criticisms; because the critics and the fans both knew this was some more studio cut bullshit!

I did enjoy Sucker Punch...forgot about that one. Also seen Fast Five...stupid, yet entertaining. I also saw I Am Number Four which was better than I expected but still not really my thing.

robertthunder wrote:
Zed_Chuva wrote:

The only reason this will be true is because it will be the extended cut. SP was one of the biggest disappointments in years!! The reason because Snyder bent down and sucked the dick of the studio to make it PG-13. Hopefully the extra 18 min will be back to form in the R world. The film could have been so much but shy'd away from everything. If you want to talk about an underrated film that the critics scared people from lets talk about Speed Racer! But SP deserved the harsh criticisms; because the critics and the fans both knew this was some more studio cut bullshit!

I also wish SP woulda been rated R...coulda been pretty bad ass but I couldn't hate it for that...still thought it was original and fun.

ChainSaW80 wrote:
robertthunder wrote:
Zed_Chuva wrote:

I also wish SP woulda been rated R...coulda been pretty bad ass but I couldn't hate it for that...still thought it was original and fun.

See thats one of the problems. It wasn't suposeto be fun. There was touches of sheer brilliance with that ending and It should have been taken even further and to an even darker place. How Snyder announced this at comic-con was a balls to the wall adventure unlike anything you have ever seen. He promised a dark R rated film not a light hearted fun PG-13 washed down studio cut!

Top 10 (as of June 27):

1. Tree of Life
2. Hobo With a Shotgun
3. Super 8
4. X-Men First Class
5. Scre4m
6. Drive Angry 3D
7. The Bang Bang Club
8. Kaboom
9. Midnight in Paris
10. The Ward (which I feel I need to give another chance to)

The Bang Bang Club and Kaboom are 2010 films... other than that, it is impossible for me to make a list yet. I will say Kaboom is one of the more interesting gay films I saw and ranks with Hedwig and the Angry Inch in my personal list of hilarious gay movies that even straight people should enjoy or learn something from. And maybe I only saw The Bang Bang Club early because I have friends in Germany and dated a girl from South Africa.

Hobo with a Shotgun is great. X Men First Class surprised me with how good it was. A lot of mentioned movies were so-so in my opinion. Unfortunately I have yet to see Tree of Life or Midnight in Paris.

Doctor_Pepper wrote:

The Bang Bang Club and Kaboom are 2010 films...

Yes; but the actual full release dates were in 2011 for both films... (I also seen both last year; but at festivals so it doesn't count)

I enjoyed Scream 4

did you now?  dammit!  now that means I might have to watch it.

Hobo with a Shotgun is my favorite of 2011 so far. Rubber and Scream 4 are right behind it. Super Punch had potential to be amazing, but they pussed out so it's just OK. Such a shame.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2011-06-28 22:41:31)

Zed_Chuva wrote:

AGREED. My Favourite non-genre film so far this year for sure. Saw it on release date, then bought it and watched it yesterday and then again today.

i just saw transformers dark of the moon and it was awesome. Michael bay i forgive you for revenge of the fallen. Everyone should go and see it.

well i just watched super 8 this week. i was expecting something else, but it was still good for what it was. it was just like watching the goonies.

2011 hasn't been the best year for the film industry but so far if I had to choose I'd have to say...

Insidious
Scream 4
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

I loved scream 4 it was one of my faves from the series

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Also seen Fast Five...stupid, yet entertaining.

Kinda sad that this has become a decent standard for me.  Just to be entertained.  So many movies now I am just glad if I found them entertaining and didn't watch the clock for them to be over.

If I take away The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series, and I Saw the Devil, I really have not seen many movies recently I felt were good.