Topic: HM Movie Night 3 Finalized (Saturday, May 21, 2010)

Hello my horror friends!

After an extensive test last night (9 hours!!!), we think we have the Skype situation under control.  Also, since 'Halloween' and 'Dawn of the Dead' (the originals) were tied, those who were chatting went with 'Dawn.'  The version we will be (officially) using will be the 'Unrated Directors Cut.'  I'm not conversant with all the versions, so if you have a different one, you should be OK, you may just need to adjust your sync.

Info-
Saturday, May 21st, at 5PM US Eastern time.  Brit time is 10PM.
Voice/chat software will be the free program Skype.
The movie will be Dawn of the Dead (1978).

This event will be recorded for a podcast, so don't say anything you may regret later!  There will also most likely be an 'after party' chat, which can go anywhere.  This will also be recorded; I have now satisfied my legal obligations.

Please check this link on HM to check for Skype screen names on our members.  It seems random people will try to call you on Skype.  If you don't recognize the name, ignore it or reject the request.  Once you check against the list or with the testers, you can always add the person later.

A mic is not required, but it does make it more fun than typing everything.  For those with Macs, double check to make sure it works with Macs, they have a different input from PCs, unless you're using an USB mic. 

I'll be getting on Skype early on Saturday so I can try and host the chat.  We're still trying to work out some kinks in Skype (hey, we can't be experts in everything!).  But we muddled through pretty well last night on our test.

Again, some rules (and yes Lon, these apply to you, too):
1- Meh's #1 Rule- Respect each other
2- Don't break any laws, please.
3- Try to keep your pets from eating the microphone (looking at you, Pam)
4- Have fun!
[Edit:  #5- Wolfy must say 'Bollocks' at least 3 times throughout the night.]

If you need any info or help, post it here; there are several people that can help.  Unless it has to do with a mic, in which case avoid Lon; the last time he tried to use one he plugged it into a lightbulb socket. 

The more the merrier.  And more chaotic, which is how we like it!  Any new people, don't be shy.  Post your Skype name in the other thread and say 'Hi' here.  Most of us don't bite. big_smile

See you Saturday!
-Azzy "Monkey with a Nuclear Knife" Boy

Last edited by azathoth (2011-05-15 11:46:46)

Re: HM Movie Night 3 Finalized (Saturday, May 21, 2010)

Fantastic. I'm there! big_smile

Yes, but will you leave.....
mwahhahhaahaa!

hell, I'd love to join in, but we'll be filming some extra scenes for Lashman all weekend.

aceofspades70 wrote:

hell, I'd love to join in, but we'll be filming some extra scenes for Lashman all weekend.

Excuses, excuses!

Yea Monkey Man, I have a question, are we supposed to be watching this off of our DVD's?  Or is there a link for that particular version?

I know you like your linkies, Possum, but I'm doing it off my own DVD (when it comes).  I neither recommend, condone or condemn how you get your movie.  Just telling you which version it is.

I will be attending, but may be a bit late.

azathoth wrote:

I know you like your linkies, Possum, but I'm doing it off my own DVD (when it comes).  I neither recommend, condone or condemn how you get your movie.  Just telling you which version it is.

I merely inquire as to the correct version, Sir Monkey Tosser!

Romero's long stated the theatrical version IS the unrated director's cut.  It's the exact version of the film he wanted released.  It's also hands down the best version of the film, no ifs, ands or buts.

There's an extended version which features mostly extra gore footage (badly executed, thus its exclusion from Romero's theatrical version) and the European cut, which was edited by Dario Argento.  This version omits some scenes from the theatrical version and features alternate scenes not included in the theatrical version, as well as a different soundtrack and a shorter running time.

floridapossum wrote:
aceofspades70 wrote:

Excuses, excuses!

now lookie here.....

lol

LoudLon wrote:

Romero's long stated the theatrical version IS the unrated director's cut.  It's the exact version of the film he wanted released.  It's also hands down the best version of the film, no ifs, ands or buts.

There's an extended version which features mostly extra gore footage (badly executed, thus its exclusion from Romero's theatrical version) and the European cut, which was edited by Dario Argento.  This version omits some scenes from the theatrical version and features alternate scenes not included in the theatrical version, as well as a different soundtrack and a shorter running time.

I really dug the european version...I don't think I have seen the extended directors cut but I do have the ultimate edition so I need to check it out...

So what all do I need to do to join in on this guys? Lil help...

floridapossum wrote:
azathoth wrote:

I merely inquire as to the correct version, Sir Monkey Tosser!

Me bad.  The 'Unrated Director's Cut.'  Not the 'extended' version, not the 'European' version, not the 'R rated' version.

Sincerely,
Tosser of Monkeys  (It's like the Three Mothers, only dumber and with more poo)

Last edited by azathoth (2011-05-15 22:26:43)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

So what all do I need to do to join in on this guys? Lil help...

1.  Download Skype.  It's free.
2.  Once you have it installed, go to this thread and post your Skype handle.  This way we'll know you're not some random tosser trying to join our conversation.
3.  Make sure you have some type of access to the movie.
4.  It helps if you have a mic, but not required.  You'll still be able to type chat if you have no mic. <Insert Lon joke>
5.  On Saturday (21st), log on to Skype and search for any of the people listed on the Skype name thread.  I'm azathoth1945, and I'll be on early.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-05-15 22:22:19)

I got a new recorder program that can mix more than 2 channels of audio at once.  Free trial for a month, so I'm going to try it out on Saturday.  See if I can mix in additional audio besides just the talking. 

One option is to have the movie audio as a soft background.  Another is to put in background music when there are breaks.  I'm still reading the manual, but it seems very flexible, including post-recording audio level adjustments.

I also might just have an overlay loop of Wolfy saying "Bollocks" the entire time.  Or have it as a push button effect.  And there is always my talking monkey.  We'll see.  big_smile

Just some update info.

[edit- this is kind of fun now that we've smoothed out (most of) the problems.]

Last edited by azathoth (2011-05-16 02:52:56)

i'll be there..........wine, cheese and hopefully a headset! big_smile

^^^
http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.6378942.1.sticker,375x360.manic-monkey-with-4-thumbs-up-v1.png

twistedsista wrote:

Kirsty i'll be there with  my wine like i was last time and you can throw me some cheese. perhaps we can say a synchronized " Bollocks" or you could say " Bollocks " in welsh! wink

wolfman1959 wrote:
twistedsista wrote:

Kirsty i'll be there with  my wine like i was last time and you can throw me some cheese. perhaps we can say a synchronized " Bollocks" or you could say " Bollocks " in welsh! wink

Yeah, we could call you the "Cheese & Bollocks" crowd.  big_smile

azathoth wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:
twistedsista wrote:

Yeah, we could call you the "Cheese & Bollocks" crowd.  big_smile

cheese and bollocks? that sounds like some strange crime fighting duo!! LOL

i always share my cheese with you wolfie! wink

'Cheese & Bollocks'
'Pinky & the Brain'
'Batman & Robin'
'Starsky & Hutch'
'Cagney & Lacey'
'Lon & the Microphone'

azzy and vampy smile

wolfman1959 wrote:

azzy and vampy smile

D'oh!
http://www.ericas.com/sewing/patterns/31241b.jpg

OK, back on track here.  (Doncha love how I hijack my own threads? big_smile )
So far we have 8 'Yes's' to attend.  8.5 if you include me (Vampy said she's skipping this one).  A good number;  a couple more wouldn't hurt.  You can go here to hear the podcast of the 'Gun Town' night.  'Dawn of the Dead' night should be more lively since we got the hang of it now, plus it has a bit more action in it.

No entrance fee, though you need to bring your own popcorn.  (Or wine and cheese if you're in Britain, apparently)

I will not be home until late that night,  if anyone is still on I will join in  smile