Topic: Film Scripts

Alright dudes, is there any of you that can give any advise on writing a film script because ive come up with a pretty cool and weird idea for a film, and i am going to try and write it up. I just need to know whats the best way to write it all down, like are you meant to write down the camera angles and all the dialogue and how much detail to go in etc?

Last edited by adamroddis (2007-07-21 12:52:25)

Re: Film Scripts

There are two kinds of scripts.  A spec script and a shooting script.  A spec script doesn't include camera angles, while a a shooting script does.  Usually, you write a spec script first, then once you are ready to shoot the script, you will re-write the spec script as a shooting script with the director.

Here's what I use when writing a screenplay:

1. Think of an idea
2. Write character bio's for the main characters
3. Write a beatsheet (short descriptions of main events)
4. Write an outline
5. Re-write beatsheet
6. Write treatment (http://www.simplyscripts.net/cgi-bin/Bl … 073084912/)
7. Re-write beatsheet
8. Write script
9. Self-edit
10. Submit for feedback
11. Note feedback
12. Re-write script

Formatting wise, you can go to www.celtx.com to download a FREE screenwriting software.  I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

Thanx alot dude!

Go out and download a program called Celtx.  It will help you out a lot in writing it and managing all your ideas.

I've just started hand writing a brief desciption of whats going to happen and then ive just added some more detail about what actaully goes on.

Is there a place where you can sell scipts when done?

adamroddis wrote:

Yeah Hollywood.  lol j/k

The thing is, is that if i let someone direct my script into a film then they might not do it how i had it in my head and so it might not be as good as it could be. I wouldnt be able to do it cos i have no idea about how to direct. Then i would have to get actors and all that shit lol. I would prob have to go and study film at UNI or summet if my script turns out good.

Best thing: If it is your script, get on as a producer.  And dont give your director final cut over the movie.  This way you have say in the creative process and if you dont like the cut of the film he produces or something you can make changes.

adamroddis wrote:

The thing is, is that if i let someone direct my script into a film then they might not do it how i had it in my head and so it might not be as good as it could be. I wouldnt be able to do it cos i have no idea about how to direct. Then i would have to get actors and all that shit lol. I would prob have to go and study film at UNI or summet if my script turns out good.

Well, YOU could always direct.  If you don't want to do that, then I suggest you meet with a director and get to know him.  That way, he can fully adapt your idea onto the big screen.

Good luck, man.

Make it with a group of your friends or at least people you trust. The camaraderie on a set is so much of the process.

For production experience, try working as a PA (production assistant) on *any* set ... commercial, industrial, infomercial ... ideally a TV show or film, but it doesn't matter.

For me, there's no better example of what it's like to make a low-budg first-time movie than Bruce Campbell writes about ("Evil Dead") in his book "If Chins Could Kill". Well worth the $15 or whatever it costs.

As far as the writing, I'd read a lot of scripts (most bookstores have bound versions of pop movie scripts, and you can get 'em online, too). For me, the best way to get familiar w/ the format and pacing is to read examples. To me, if you actually see it, it's easier to do. big_smile

Writing the script:
Check out these places for some great writing advice...
www.absolutewrite.com/forums (script writing)
www.simplyscripts.com Discussion board

If you haven't already, pick up a book called The Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier.  It's a must for anyone looking to get into screenwriting.

After you've written it:
If you want control over how it's filmed, the only choice you have is to make it yourself because if you sell the script, it's out of your hands.  The producer, director, cinematographer, actors -- all will add their own interpretations of your script once they get their hands on it.  This is just a given; a screenwriter retaining final control over his/her script happens about once every never.  Unless you're Tarantino, or someone with clout enough to do whatever you want.

Believe me; I made my first script sale last year and within a month, after a director had signed on, the script no longer resembled what I'd written.  It made me wonder if they liked my script enough to buy it, why would they want to change everything about it?  But, that's just how it goes.  When dealing with the film industry, you're dealing with a lot of egos and a lot of people wanting to add their own little things to your story. 

So they only way to have total control over it is, like I said, to make it yourself.  Just be sure to do your homework first.

Good luck.:)

Last edited by LoudLon (2007-07-31 11:34:19)

I also recommend www.simplyscripts.com.  You can submit your script there and recieve a lot of good feedback.

Definitely.  I've had a couple scripts posted there (though only one at the moment). 

Which reminds me, someone else mentioned earlier and I agree, actually READ SCRIPTS.  As many as you can.  The more you read, the better you'll understand format and structure.  So be sure to check out both the "movie scripts" and "unproduced scripts" links; they've got hundreds of each.

Yeah, reading scripts is probably the best way to learn proper format.  If you just want horror scripts, here's the place to get them:

www.horrorlair.com

adamroddis wrote:

I've just started hand writing a brief desciption of whats going to happen and then ive just added some more detail about what actaully goes on.

Mail a copy of the script to yourself before submitting to agents wink Also if you have anything similar to a Writers Guild join and get some pointers on intellectual property.

There's at least one agency in Hollywood that handle horror scripts, sorry don't have their details.

Be prepared for a lot of re-writes if someone options it, have a friend who scripts downunder and she spends most of her life re-writing scenes that the various Directors aren't happy with. She's currently helping me with a script and it's a lot of work to be honest for something which may never get onto the screen.

If you ever see a movie out of Downunder called SOLID ROCK then that's our one big_smile

I had just posted a lengthy reply to the question of there being a place to sell it once you're done, but honestly, selling it should be the last thing on your mind right now. 

Just focus on writing your script.  If you don't know how to write a script, study up and learn how.  Once you've got that down, bang out a first draft.  Just get it out of your mind and onto paper.  Don't worry about the spelling, the format, all that stuff; save that for the rewrites, of which there will be many.

It may seem as though I'm being rude, but I'm not.  Your script won't be any good if you focus more on selling it than writing it and if it isn't good, you won't sell it anyway.

One step at a time, my man.  Good luck.  Keep writing.  smile

Last edited by LoudLon (2007-08-02 03:33:21)

ye, i was getting ahead of myself lol

It happens.  wink