Topic: 2 Moons in the sky

August 27 the planet Mars will be very bright in the sky, it will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will come 34.65m miles from earth, it will look like the earth has two moons. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Re: 2 Moons in the sky

that is very cool.. is the apocalypse coming at the same time?

That's very awesome as hell. I'm going to have to make sure i keep an eye out for it. I thought our apocalypse has been happening to us for years already. Just look at everything that has happened to us over the years and decades.

i'll keep a look out for the 2 moons big_smile
and the apocalypse is coming, its the end of the world!!!  *runs for the hills* oh wait, if its the end of the world, isnt it the end of the hills, too?

But i thought it was already the end of the world b/c of all the snob, stuck up, talentless, no good, alcoholic, drug addict celebs.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

But i thought it was already the end of the world b/c of all the snob, stuck up, talentless, no good, alcoholic, drug addict celebs.

Ummmm.....they have been around for decades.....this only happens once every 300 years or so(that we know of).  lol  The apocalypse it just may be.....

thats pretty cool,

jmh314 wrote:
BlackDeathDamien wrote:

Ummmm.....they have been around for decades.....this only happens once every 300 years or so(that we know of).  lol  The apocalypse it just may be.....

Oh no i know and understand about that this only happens every 300 years. It's just like Hailey's Comet. I was just messing with the whole celeb things. But i don't know if any of you heard this, but i actually did hear a while back that there is actually an astroid that is heading our way. I'm dead serious. And there is also many signs that earth is actually going to be gone in no time. If you look at all the signs and everything what has been happening here. It all adds up to in years to come, earth will be gone.

Cool news!  I hope for clear skys...  It can't be the end of the world; the Myan calendar goes to 2012!

Very cool.  Thanks for the heads up, Daph.  wink

I am an apocalyptic expert.  (putting on a jacket with suede elbows, shoes with no socks).  And I say that it is in the nature of humanity to predict and to fear the apocalypse.  It is easier to comprehend leaving this world en masse than it is to consider a lonely and personal death. 

oh i could go on for hours.

Hey Dead.... sorry to say but thats a fake email which was circulated in 2003 and now it seems to be back again. Mars did make a close aproach on August 27 2003 but nothing like what that email said. What the email forgot to mention was that if viewed through a telescope at 75 times power then it would look the size of the moon.
I remember this from that year.

Check out Snopes Urban Legends

I heard that rumour too and I was fooled for a moment but after some research it was all clear.

To the end of the world subject, I don't really care if it ends. There's nothing I can do about it. I think you should worry more about the "Larde Hadron Collider", theoricists can't settle wether it's gonna create a black hole or not. I don't think it's gonna destroy us all but who knows?!?! tongue

DemonToSome wrote:

Hey Dead.... sorry to say but thats a fake email which was circulated in 2003 and now it seems to be back again. Mars did make a close aproach on August 27 2003 but nothing like what that email said. What the email forgot to mention was that if viewed through a telescope at 75 times power then it would look the size of the moon.

bummer my sister emailed me, figured she knew what she was talking about lol..thanks:) hey I would have been out there with my telescope and binocs lol..
at least I still can watch the Monarch's fly past to Mexico.

You can look at Rosie O'Donnell's fat ass and get 2 moons also.:lol:

thedeadshallrule wrote:
DemonToSome wrote:

bummer my sister emailed me, figured she knew what she was talking about lol..thanks:) hey I would have been out there with my telescope and binocs lol..
at least I still can watch the Monarch's fly past to Mexico.

It's easy to be fooled by that. What made me remember about it was that it stated that Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. I have a telescope too and I get a kick out of star gazing and checking out the nebulas, planets and galaxies so I knew that was an impossiblity seeing Mars that huge without a telescope.

RIP wrote:

You can look at Rosie O'Donnell's fat ass and get 2 moons also.:lol:

lol lol

Incredible meteor shower to light up the sky tonight in UK

Astronomers are promising a spectacular meteor shower tonight.

Multi-coloured shooting stars will race toward the Earth at the rate of more than one a minute.

Clear skies and the weak light of a new moon are set to make the Perseid shower one of the most dramatic in recent years.

It is expected to be most visible from 11pm on Sunday to 2am on Monday.

Dr Robert Massey, of the Royal Astronomical Society, said: "If you have never seen a meteor shower, this is a really nice opportunity to watch one.

"It is a very easy piece of astronomy and it can be quite spectacular.

"The nice thing about it is that it is really easy to watch. You just have to get out of bed and look toward the east.

"Even if you just watch for just a minute or two, you should see quite a few meteors."

The month-long shower can be seen for another week after this Sunday's peak.

Those seeking the best view should choose a location with as little background light as possible.

Neil Bone, a meteor expert from the British Astronomical Association, said: "Circumstances of the shower could hardly be more favourable for the UK for 2007.

"Observers should make the most of this opportunity - moonlight will severely restrict viewing in 2008."

The annual meteor shower starts when the Earth's orbit takes it across the tail of the Swift-Tuttle comet.

The comet's trail of dusty debris burns up in our atmosphere in the form of meteors that resemble streaks of light.

The shooting stars travel at around 135,000mph - 18 times the re- entry speed of Nasa's Space Shuttle.

Meteor showers are named after the constellation from which they appear to radiate. In the case of the Perseid shower, this is Perseus, which lies in the eastern sky.

The meteor shower should be visible across all parts of Britain, except where there is excessive light pollution.

It is also known as the Tears of St Lawrence because the saint's feast day - on August 10 - falls in the middle of the extended light show.

Perseid, which was first recorded 2,000 years ago, also produces so-called earthgrazers.

These are meteors that approach from the horizon and skim the atmosphere overhead like a stone skipping on the surface of a pond.

From Daily Mail newpaper in the UK.

I never seen metor shower and i not going miss this!

I was out looking last nite, too close to the city with the lights drat!!

its not till later in the month anyways tongue, i marked it on my callender

Tonight is the peak of meteor showers.

really, kool. im gonna be sittin outside then... hopefully outside with my gf so we can talk about some stuff... but if not, its ok too...

The best sighting time is like from 10pm and the most will be something like 2am to dawn tomorrow morning..... so have a fun all nighter with your gf smile

i wont have too much fun tongue