Re: I need some help choosing Genres for movies

^^
Cool.  I always have my Gmail open, though I may not be around the computer when you try to ring in.  DG, Garden, & I had a fun time last night going through some weird flicks during the Afterparty.

As for the subs- the list is looking pretty good.  There may be some outliers, but I think what you have now should cover 99% easily.  (And start the countdown til someone thinks of something weird....) big_smile

Uh!  Dude!  Once you dozed off I didn't think there was going to be an After Party so I took off.

Dammit...

Yeah Lon, Where were you hon?

I added some more subs today....

cult, shock and mystery

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2011-06-05 18:22:36)

i think we want to be sure when adding subgenres we can fill them. We also want to be sure they do not overlap to much because as much as we want to cover the subgenres we do not want to get to a point where people are looking at subgenres with 20 films only on it.

For example I agree with the subgenre Mystery but what differentiates that from a psychological thriller? For example Identity is listed as psychological, and thriller and could also be tagged a Mystery but do we really need a mystery genre?

This is all open debate and I am FULLY prepared to be corrected and proven wrong in my thoughts so weigh in and share your opinions.

Sounds good Meh,  it was a suggested category but I can always delete them.  there is a lot of over lap because most Giallos are mystery as well.  S do we really need Mystery?
I have enlisted lots of help from experts on the forum.  Thanks to everyone that has helped me tag some of the more obscure movies  smile  I like the Cult category.  What would be some suggested movies for it?

cult i think is a good subgenre but again can be somewhat subjective. I think a good subgenre would be b-movies but I would not be capable of tagging them as I am not a guru of that sub-genre.

Key with any sub genre is we want to be sure we can easily popular it with films so we never have a sub-genre that has 20 films in it. Obviously as we build the subgenres we might have that issue but so long as we can be sure the sub genre will be full and of value to the community i think that is key!

A true mystery movie will most likely not be a horror film, so thriller (along with giallo) would easily cover those films.  Miss Marples is a mystery, Mindhunters is a thriller.

azathoth wrote:

A true mystery movie will most likely not be a horror film, so thriller (along with giallo) would easily cover those films.  Miss Marples is a mystery, Mindhunters is a thriller.

Yeah. That makes sense azz. I think I will delete that category.

so Az and DG do we agree that Mystery as a sub-genre is already covered under Giallo and thriller?

Also i gotta say 'The king' to me is not a sub genre. If we in future want to add a lookup by director that would be a possibility but I had no clue what that sub genre was about ( I thought it was Bruce Campbell ). Directors are not genres in my books smile

Yeah. Sounds good meh. I will delete those two.  I think a look up by director is an awesome idea!

Meh wrote:

so Az and DG do we agree that Mystery as a sub-genre is already covered under Giallo and thriller?

Also i gotta say 'The king' to me is not a sub genre. If we in future want to add a lookup by director that would be a possibility but I had no clue what that sub genre was about ( I thought it was Bruce Campbell ). Directors are not genres in my books smile

My fault on "The King."  I made a joke to DG when we were discussing The Tomb the other night about making a sub for Stephen King since he has so many movies.  (I didn't think you were going to take me seriously, DG!  lol )  And yes, Giallo and thriller should cover mystery well.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Yeah. Sounds good meh. I will delete those two.  I think a look up by director is an awesome idea!

It would be a good idea as a separate entity, not with the sub-genre listings.  You would need to set a minimum # of movies, say at least 5, or it's just a re-listing of IMDb.

Oh so it was all your fault!  Haha. Actually it was impressive that there were 34 movies in that list!

Wow, I was guessing mid-20s.

its ok we knew it was yer fault Az smile I added you on Google Talk fyi.