Topic: Midnight Movie: The Killer Cut

Hey Horror Geeks,
Here's a fresh slasher film that you should see, and it comes to DVD on amazon tomorrow. I'm pretty pumped for this, and wanted to spread the word. I had a chance to check out the original

Re: Midnight Movie: The Killer Cut

Original release, 2008, 84 minutes.  Supposedly a 'Limited Edition.'  No mention of extra features.

New release, 2011, 82 minutes.  This says it has a bunch of extra features.

So what are we getting here?

^ Weird. hmm

Midnight Movie is a fun flick. Def. one of my favorite horror movies for the 2000's.

I've heard the Killer Cut has better gore effects, and they've went through and added some more in. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyways, this kind of pisses me off. Fans have already went out and paid for the movie once and now they release a supposedly better cut of it? They should have made those changes the first time around instead of doing this shit.

And the thing is, the new one is 2 minutes shorter, so if they added some stuff in, what did they take out?  Amazon has no info detailing it, so ya got me.

The original was okay, nothing special.  I can't imagine that the new cut could make it any better, especially if it is shorter than the original.

There isn’t a filmmaker out there that looks back at their movies and doesn’t see a better way to do things. Look at Spielberg and Lucas – they have retouched classic films. Hindsight is always 20/20, even with cinematic geniuses that had pretty good budgets to work with at the time.

With Midnight Movie, many of the limitations to my original vision were purely budgetary. The ideas were there, just not the means to execute them. So when Bigfoot gave me the opportunity to overcome some of those limitations, I jumped at the chance.

I’ve seen a lot of director’s cuts that weren’t better versions of the movie. They were longer, yes, but not better. So when I started The Killer Cut, I didn’t want to make the same mistake. I didn’t want to shove in a bunch of scenes that didn’t belong there in the first place. My goal was to enhance an experience that people already liked. That meant a lot more than just re-cutting the film.

From the start of the original production, I made sure that every penny of our limited budget made it onto the screen – and I think it shows. But there were a few things in the original version that just fell a little flat for me because of those budgetary limitations. The biggest was Radford himself.

I had a lot of ideas on how Radford should move through his environment, but they just weren’t within our budget. With The Killer Cut, we were able to utilize a lot of those original ideas to go back and make Radford a much more menacing villain. Believe me, the visual effects in The Killer Cut help create a totally different mood and feel for the film.

The other goal of The Killer Cut was to streamline a few areas that I felt just weren’t as tight as they could be. So I took the editing room scalpel to the film and made a lot of changes that you won’t notice, but the feel of those areas will be a lot better. And I made a lot of cuts. Even though we added several minutes of new material, the running time of the two films is about the same.

Much of the new footage we added was shot specifically for this version of the film. It was designed to fill in a few holes that myself, and the fans of the original, felt were missing. We really made an effort to enhance the mythology of Radford with the new footage. And the scenes that we extended with footage from the original shoot were enhanced with the new visual effects, making them a completely new experience.

Really, The Killer Cut is a totally different movie - much closer to my original vision. So if you haven’t seen the movie before, this is the version to watch. And if you think you have already seen Midnight Movie, I guarantee that you haven’t seen it like this.

jmessitt wrote:

There isn’t a filmmaker out there that looks back at their movies and doesn’t see a better way to do things. Look at Spielberg and Lucas – they have retouched classic films. Hindsight is always 20/20, even with cinematic geniuses that had pretty good budgets to work with at the time.

With Midnight Movie, many of the limitations to my original vision were purely budgetary. The ideas were there, just not the means to execute them. So when Bigfoot gave me the opportunity to overcome some of those limitations, I jumped at the chance.

I’ve seen a lot of director’s cuts that weren’t better versions of the movie. They were longer, yes, but not better. So when I started The Killer Cut, I didn’t want to make the same mistake. I didn’t want to shove in a bunch of scenes that didn’t belong there in the first place. My goal was to enhance an experience that people already liked. That meant a lot more than just re-cutting the film.

From the start of the original production, I made sure that every penny of our limited budget made it onto the screen – and I think it shows. But there were a few things in the original version that just fell a little flat for me because of those budgetary limitations. The biggest was Radford himself.

I had a lot of ideas on how Radford should move through his environment, but they just weren’t within our budget. With The Killer Cut, we were able to utilize a lot of those original ideas to go back and make Radford a much more menacing villain. Believe me, the visual effects in The Killer Cut help create a totally different mood and feel for the film.

The other goal of The Killer Cut was to streamline a few areas that I felt just weren’t as tight as they could be. So I took the editing room scalpel to the film and made a lot of changes that you won’t notice, but the feel of those areas will be a lot better. And I made a lot of cuts. Even though we added several minutes of new material, the running time of the two films is about the same.

Much of the new footage we added was shot specifically for this version of the film. It was designed to fill in a few holes that myself, and the fans of the original, felt were missing. We really made an effort to enhance the mythology of Radford with the new footage. And the scenes that we extended with footage from the original shoot were enhanced with the new visual effects, making them a completely new experience.

Really, The Killer Cut is a totally different movie - much closer to my original vision. So if you haven’t seen the movie before, this is the version to watch. And if you think you have already seen Midnight Movie, I guarantee that you haven’t seen it like this.

I am a fan of your original version and I have to admit you got me curious. Sounds like it will be worth checking out.

jmessit-
I will assume you are the actual director of this film. 
Now, this is the type of insight I like, explaining why things were changed.  If that was your boy who started this thread, let him know that info works better than hype, especially when calling it 'fresh' as opposed to a new cut.

If you read the thread, people liked the film.  Your post would have been a much better intro.  Just some constructive criticism.  I'll be checking out the new version.

Take care.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-06-14 00:13:07)

Yes, for better or worse, I am the actual director of the film.

No idea who posted the first entry, but I'm happy to hear that you will be checking out The Killer Cut.

I look forward to hearing what you all think of it...

jmessitt wrote:

I’ve seen a lot of director’s cuts that weren’t better versions of the movie. They were longer, yes, but not better. So when I started The Killer Cut, I didn’t want to make the same mistake. Look at Spielberg and Lucas – they have retouched classic films.

If you haven’t read this quote before, this is the version to read.  LOL

funnin' aside, I dug MM for what it was (originally) and this retooling definitely sounds watch-worthy, too
cool

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-06-14 00:37:00)

Thanks! And yes, I'm laughing at and totally agree with that revised quote too...

jmessitt wrote:

No idea who posted the first entry, but I'm happy to hear that you will be checking out The Killer Cut.

It will be a while for me (boss man here has me busy right now), but check up on the front page of HM.ca and The Tomb for others' reviews.  Give it about a week and there will probably be at least a few.

jmessitt wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and give us a heads up.  And like our primate friend mentioned, it is nice to have an explanation, especially when it is coming from the film maker.  I have always liked to watch the special features on discs, especially indies and smaller productions, to find out what went into making the film.  So to hear that you are going back to based on your vision and feedback from the fans, I am very interesting to see the result.  So I will be checking it out as soon as I can get my hands on it.

jmessitt wrote:

i thought the movie was great and will check out the new cut if you think its that much better!!

Hi jmessitt,   I already own midnight movie but I will definitely check out the new cut.  Thanks for posting. smile