Topic: Countdown To Zero

Anyone heard about this documentary? The documentary charts the history of the atomic bomb and is working to phase out nuclear weapons. The documentary hits limited UK theatres on June 24th. I have always been fascinated by nuclear weapons and power stations, but I have never been for them. I'm sure with many of you growing up in certain decades, for me the 80's with Chernobyl was a shock with the fear of fallout drifting so far.

More so for those of you in the 50's and 60's if there are any? big_smile I think it's insane the massive stockpile of nuclear arms just simply laying around. These are not just bombs, these are weapons of global destruction. If things are not stopped now, what does the future hold for our children. Hell, what about in ten years time, England is planning on opening a few nuclear power stations while Germany and some other places in Europe are shutting them down.

More recently the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan. these places are not stable, instead of spending trillions of pounds or dollars on nuclear energy spend that time and money on green, reusable energy. I'm droning on about here, I'm sorry, I'm just thinking a nuclear war is no longer fiction like in movies, it is inevitable.

Anyway, I think the documentary looks pretty cool, if you want to know more, hit up their official website; http://countdowntozerofilm.com/

Re: Countdown To Zero

I hope I get to see this when it hits DVD, I watched a documentary on Hiroshima not too long ago and it was very interesting, crazy how something can cause so much destruction.

It's horrible and it's the destruction what is left afterwards with all the radiation sickness and countless numbers of people with cancers and birth defects. Why do our governments still see the need in making nuclear weapons?

Deth_Banger wrote:

It's horrible and it's the destruction what is left afterwards with all the radiation sickness and countless numbers of people with cancers and birth defects. Why do our governments still see the need in making nuclear weapons?

I guess incase the chance of nuclear warfare that will be how they respond:/ crazy world we live in. I'm worried about my my Childs children are going to have to deal with.

^Yeah, it is not a nice thought at all, and with terrorism at all new high it's scary as to what could happen in the early future. What's even more bizarre, is the government has no where to put used fuel rods and the like, so what are they planning to do and some are doing... Let's bury them underground where that area will be contaminated (underground of course) for something like 1000 years, until the radiation wears off.

Last edited by Deth_Banger (2011-06-22 15:03:18)

And of course the govt will never tell us the truth about anything:/ but I do have to say, I read an article about older people in Japan were willing to volunteer and work at the nuclear plant so other people wouldn't have to deal with the death sentence of radiation, how comendable is that:)

^Yeah! I read about that too! It's really sad, but they are true hero's, not only did they save a younger generation, they pretty much prevented a nuclear meltdown. Of course, hero's like this will never be known, same as soldiers... It's a shame the news is full about some celebrity fling or something like that.
My partner's dad was one of the people called up to help with the Chernobyl incident back in 1986, along with many other men, who was given barely any protection to wear. He know has sever problems with his legs, unfortunately he doesn't receive any state benefit. Soon fossil fuels will run out, it will be nuclear or a green alternative, at the moment wind turbines and water turbines produce something like 2% power where as coal, oil and nuclear produce 50% plus, so it's an unfortunate obvious choice.

I know! That's why I hate watching the news, idgaf about an actress and who she is dating, news stations are such bs, they never show what's really going on. And wow, he did all that and doesn't even have benefits:/ that's sad, really is.

^It is absolutely bizarre, and thanks very much for the chat btw. big_smile

Here's the breakdown, and there is still plenty of coal.  If people would take the money spent on developing wasteful energy, like wind and solar, and apply it to new cleaner coal technologies, not only would that put thousands of people to work in the US, but use a source of fuel we are in now way lacking.  JMO

http://www.american.com/graphics/2007/may-june-2007/q-a/Chart%202.JPG

^ Very true. My worry is, what will happen when we eventually run out of these fossil fuels? Will it come to something as adventurous as say mining a planet in our solar system or is that just a little bit too far fetched? big_smile Saying that, I believe Denmark has the biggest off shore wind turbines which provides the country with something like 18.9% electricity. The only problem is, they are expensive to install and you probably will not see a profit for many years.