Topic: The Ward coming to DVD/Blu-ray

August 16th 2011 is the DVD and Blu-Ray release date for John Carpenter's return to the director's chair. I know the movie split many, some were very disappointed and others saw the best in it. I'm one of the latter. I was a tad disappointed, but after letting it sink in I enjoyed it a lot more than I felt about it right after viewing it. Plus Amber Heard is a huge plus to me! I will be picking this one up come August.

Amazon Canada has the release date Here
And Amazon.com has the same release date Here

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2011-06-27 20:35:01)

Re: The Ward coming to DVD/Blu-ray

Eh.  Saw it a few weeks back.  Not as bad as the rest of his post-In the Mouth of Madness stuff, but not even close to being his best.

Yah, not what I was expecting, I didn't find it tense, but I found something very likable (other than Amber Heard) about it. I thought it was sort of moody and spooky.

Oh, I'll likely pick it up because for better or worse, I'm a Carpenter completist.  Same goes for Romero -- no matter how bad their most recent films are, I must own them. lol

LoudLon wrote:

Eh.  Saw it a few weeks back.  Not as bad as the rest of his post-In the Mouth of Madness stuff, but not even close to being his best.

So what did you think of that ending Lon?

You mean the ending I saw coming half an hour into the flick? lol

To avoid spoilers, I'll finish this post with hidden text.  Left-click and drag over the space below for further comments.

SPOILER ALERT:

What really gave it away for me was the fact that nobody -- the doctor, nurse, orderlies, nobody -- made any attempt whatsoever to locate any of the girls after they went missing.  People don't just disappear from a mental ward without there being a full-scale response from the staff.  When the girl with glasses was killed by the "ghost" and vanished and no one raised a stink, that only cemented my suspicions.

END SPOILER ALERT

So, while the flick was technically well made -- as most Carpenter flicks are because from a directorial standpoint the dude's a master craftsman -- the story was far too weak.  I'd like to see Carp get his hands on a GOOD script and do his thing, because he hasn't had one in a very long time.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-06-27 21:05:03)

Yeah,  I loved the movie up until that ending!  I just wow thought wow how unoriginal!   That being said,  I liked all the different characters and how they interacted, which is so typical Carpenter smile
I would like to see him do another movie with a better storyline.  BTW... Amber Heard was stunning in person.  Beautiful girl smile

She was cute.  But me being a brunette junkie, I was more into the chick with the glasses -- who was also in Kick-Ass, by the way.  Katie Deuxma, I think was her name.

I admit Heard is about the only reason I'm interested in seeing the flick, especially now after reading both of your thoughts on it LOL
She first caught my eye in Mandy Lane and I must concur - stunning.
I'd probably be arrested if I actually saw her in person   wink

brunettes, redheads, blondes, hell, purple hair - I ain't picky LOL

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2011-06-27 21:18:44)

Oh, I'm not saying I'm exclusive.  Brunettes are a preference, but then I dated a chick with a magenta dye job before so, when it comes right down to it, it's all good. lol

I loved the title All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, but I avoided it because the story sounded kind of stock.  Any good?

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-06-27 21:20:52)

After the premeire all the girls came out on stage for Q&A.   It's been a while,  but I think your little brunette was a genre fan  smile

The Ward - coming to my hard drive via bit torrent right now. Then I'll decide whether or not I want to pre order a movie by someone who hasn't really made anything good in 2 decades.

DirtyGirl wrote:

After the premeire all the girls came out on stage for Q&A.   It's been a while,  but I think your little brunette was a genre fan  smile

And you didn't get me her number because...?

By the way, I just remembered, Katie Deuxma was her CHARACTER in Kick-Ass.   Her actual name is Lyndsy Fonseca.

<--- I'm with stupid.

I enjoyed Mandy Lane - it surprised me actually.  It has a twist, and I sort of figured one was coming, but it worked well.  It's worth a watch.

I'll add it to my ever-expanding list of movies to watch.  I think I'm up to around 60 or so right now. lol

LoudLon wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

And you didn't get me her number because...?

By the way, I just remembered, Katie Deuxma was her CHARACTER in Kick-Ass.   Her actual name is Lyndsy Fonseca.

<--- I'm with stupid.

Next time I will try and get that for ya  wink 

Here is my video I took of the Q&A,  sorry it is terrible quality on my old blackberry...

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/TIFF%202010/th_VID00047.jpg

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/TIFF%202010/th_VID00048.jpg

Cool!  I'll check 'em out. smile

As someone familiar with being in institutions of all sorts I am going to say this is one of the worst depictions of a psychiatric ward I've ever seen. Despite our main character always having lipstick, eye liner, and mascara on... each character outside of Dr. Stinger? is more unreal than the rest. I may have to write an actual review of the film I am so disappointed at this time. And I only watched the first 35 minutes so far.