Re: Captain America: The First Avenger (July, 2011)

One week away from opening night, and to celebrate here's a clip of Cap kicking major Nazi ass:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ … 9#comments

My wife & I are gonna see it at a theater next Fri. She's almost as excited as me about it. * My wife is soooo cool*

Yup, I'll be there opening night, as well.  I haven't been this excited for a comic book movie since Watchmen two years ago (loved it, by the way -- though the director's cut is even better).

the movie looks awesome, my only complaint is the helmet looks like crap. the best costume was captain america 1990ish had the wings and everything i think.
movie sucked as but costume was good.

I am glad to see that Tony Stark's father Howard Stark will be making an appearance if I believe. And I wonder what else Marvel-Universe references we will be getting.

Cannot wait to head to the theatre to see this! I may or may not be in the middle of moving when it's released, hoping I move after. Also, The Avengers trailer post-credits!

Make Mine Marvel!

Yeah, and I can't wait to see more of Hawkeye in The Avengers movie!

Hawkeye and Black Widow, they kick so much ass together

ok heres a question...WHY do the creators of comic book movies almost always mess up on the costumes for the sake of "realism"?

we supposed to accept that these people who climb walls, pop 12 inch metal claws from their forearm and FLY of all things are believable in the real world but having an accurate costume is just too much? yes they might look a little goofy in multicolor outfits, but so what?
those little details make the geek fans happy.

a leathery black ops costume doesnt impress me or pull me more into the movie. it does the opposite, its boring and bland.

cap is one of my all time favorites, so much so i even have the others on dvd lol.
but ive been awaiting a good cap movie for decades now. hey i can even overlook evans as cap im so excited to see a potentially good version of him.

Last edited by survivalist (2011-07-20 14:39:31)

A handful of advanced reviews are in.  Generally the reviews are glowing, praising Evans making the character believable, Hugo Weaving acting like he was born to play Red Skull and lots of positive stuff about the production design and their work in making the film seem period.  There are some complaints, but mostly they're from people who don't seem to be all that into comic book movies in the first place, in which case I ignore them. lol

At any rate, I'm still waiting for Roger Ebert's review.  Of all the professional critics out there he's the one I most respect, and whose views on film most accurately mirror my own.

Surv -- Cap's also my favorite comic book character, hands down, and I've been waiting for this flick since the very first time I picked up a Captain America comic -- #258, to be precise. 

To be even more precise, here's the cover to Cap #258 (from June of '81):

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070916191105/marveldatabase/images/thumb/b/bb/Captain_America_Vol_1_258.jpg/300px-Captain_America_Vol_1_258.jpg

I'm kinda dissapointed that Edward Norton won't be reprising his role as Bruce in The Avengers, but with Mark Ruffalo I'm sure he could be just as good.

I like Ed Norton as an actor but he's a diva in real life.  Dude insists on rewriting scripts he signs on for and according to reports likes to pretend he's not only acting, but directing also.  I've loved him in several movies, but Marvel films is a team atmosphere, and his egocentric attitude isn't conducive to how they work. 

But Mark Ruffalo is just as good an actor as Norton (actually, IMO, he's a BETTER actor than Norton) and is doing all his own motion capture -- the first actor to do that for the role.  Ang Lee did the motion capture himself for Hulk '03, and Norton contributed only facial expressions in Incredible Hulk.  So when we see Hulk in Avengers, it's going to be totally Ruffalo.

LoudLon wrote:

At any rate, I'm still waiting for Roger Ebert's review.  Of all the professional critics out there he's the one I most respect, and whose views on film most accurately mirror my own.

ebert? seriously? i think he is a pretentious scunt. and i know your taste in movies is better since its similar to MY own lol.

ill post this video of how those 2 shit all over horror later.

Well, Ebert shits all over BAD horror movies.  The good ones -- Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead 2, Re-Animator, The Exorcist, Halloween, etc. -- he gives more than their due props.

Siskel, on the other hand -- if horror films were black people, he was the most racist fuck on the planet. lol

here is the episode called "women in danger" basically with the exception of VERY few horror movies they seem to hate on it as it endorses and even encourages rape and abuse of women by men who have "issues" with the womens movement etc..

while i would occasionally agree with a review, after i hear them babbling on i usually thought these guys were elitist jerk offs.

http://c8ic8.wordpress.com/2010/01/24/a … and-ebert/

edit: wtf is up with cutting posts short?

Last edited by survivalist (2011-07-21 14:51:29)

Yeah, there's a snippet of it on Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film.  But I have an old Fangoria featuring an interview with the both of them, and while Siskel was hating on horror in general, Ebert took pains to explain his contempt was primarily targeted at slasher films, while he was open to and an actual fan of horror in general, so long as it offered something more than just gore.

Speaking of Ebert, he posted his review of Captain America today and while he only gave it 3 out of 4 stars, he nevertheless recommended that it, along with Iron Man, be the template by which all future comic book flicks should be made.

Can't wait till tomorrow!

^ "Can't wait till tomorrow!"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Same here!

Seriously, I hit the bank earlier today and took out twenty bucks.  Said twenty bucks is now on a stand by my front door, by my keys and my sunglasses, to be scooped up as I speed off at 3:45 pm tomorrow to catch the 4:30 matinee.  Route has been planned, gas tank is 3/4 full, tags are up to date and I still have two weeks until my next insurance payment, so nothing has been left to chance.

If I'm not in my theater seat munchin' ridiculously expensive popcorn and sippin' equally ridiculously expensive soda by a quarter after four tomorrow it's because the fuckin' world came to an end. lol

I'm looking forward to it too! My favorite run on Captain America was the ones written and drawn by Roger Stern and John Byrne. They only did nine issues, 247-255, but they were great. I don't know if it was behind the scenes politics or they just decided their workload was too heavy, but I wish they had stuck with it longer.  There was also a four issue mini-series in the early 90's that retold Cap's origin which was really good.

I was a little worried about Chris Evans because I didn't care for him in the Fantastic Four movies, but from everything I've seen, it looks like he ended up being the perfect choice. It's getting mixed reviews among legacy critics, but the comic fan ones, like on Aint It Cool, love it.

I always loved watching Siskel and Ebert back in the day, even if I disagreed with them, I enjoyed hearing their opinions. I especially like Ebert's written reviews, even if I don't agree with him, he's fun to read. As far as horror movies, the way I looked at it, they were from a different generation, of course they weren't really going to get a lot of the modern horror. Although, Ebert was more open to it sometimes, he even gave a good review to The Devil's Rejects. His review of that is really worth looking up on his site and reading, it's really funny. He warns his readers that he's explained why many of them won't like it, even if he did, so don't send him emails complaining if they go anyway, lol.

I loved the Stern/Byrne run, particularly the issues which had Cap and Union Jack fighting Baron Blood (Cap decapitated him with his shield).

But I'm a big fan of anything Byrne did for Marvel in the 80s.

You're so sexy when you talk superhero comics tongue

I get that a lot.  Not quite sure why, but I get that a lot. hmm

it's all proliferation of the fantasy  LOL

lol

Just got home from watching CA:TFA and am still giddy.

What a great flick.  Though it's an origin story it has the feel of an old-school adventure flick, with WWII as the backdrop.  Plenty of action for the attention-span deprived, and enough story and characterization for those of us who want some substance.

Anyone who doubted Chris Evans as Captain America can rest assured.  He nailed it.  His performance as pre-serum Steve Rogers (achieved with some of the most consistently flawless CGI alteration I've ever seen) draws you in and gets you rooting for this 98-pound underdog, and he retains that personality even after he's given the body of an Adonis, the strength of a lion and the speed and grace of a gazelle.  Like Robert Downey Jr.'s performance in Iron Man, you'll never be able to visualize anyone in the role of Captain America again.

Hugo Weaving has a grand ol' time as the Werner Herzog-accented Johann Schmidt/Red Skull.  He's what a movie villain is supposed to be -- sinister, sneering and menacing.  I think he's the most effective villain in a Marvel movie to date.

My only complaints are minor.  I would have liked to have seen more interaction between Steve and Peggy Carter (the GORGEOUS Hayley Atwell), Bucky Barnes' death isn't given the gravitas it should have had, and the final fight between Cap and Skull is a bit too short.  But on the other hand, the fact that I wanted more also means I couldn't get enough.

It's not a perfect movie, but as far as Marvel movies go it's much better than Thor, and about on par with the first Iron Man, which also seemed to rush its action scenes.  The good news is that the middle sequences of CA:TFA take place over the course of a few years, with him destroying various Hydra weapons plants and going on missions, so there's still plenty of WWII-era stories which can be told in future installments were they to choose to go that route. 

Unlike most Marvel movies, however, this one doesn't feel like just another step on the way to next year's The Avengers.  It's its own movie, with its own beginning, middle and end.  And come the finale, which takes place in modern times and finds Cap waking up to a world some 70 years beyond the one he knew, his last line in the film isn't about how strange things are now, but hearken back to the one thing he wanted but never got in his own time.

Also, as is the usual with Marvel movies, if you choose to go see this one don't you dare leave before the credits are over.

Great movie.  As a lifelong Cap fan, I couldn't be more satisfied.