Re: Captain America: The First Avenger (July, 2011)

I can not wait to see it!

Seriously, when the cylinder Evans is placed in cracks open to reveal his newly buffed body, every female in the cinema collectively gasped.  I even heard several man say stuff like "holy shit."  I, on the other hand, said to myself, "Damn, I wish I was him." lol

I like the CGI in making him look small. Amazing!

If I'd never seen Chris Evans in a movie before I would have assumed he really was that frail, and they took a year off during shooting for him to buff up. lol  Seriously, it's that realistic.

The way they accomplished it, though, was in some scenes it's actually Evans completely "shrunk" via CGI, and in others it's an actual body double (I forget the scrawny double's name,  but I read about it a couple days ago) with Evan's head copied onto it. 

Regardless, it's completely flawless.  They did an amazing job with Skinny Steve.

They sure did based on the trailers I seen. I almost thought it was a different person.  I am going to see it  Saturday morning. Has to be better than Harry Potter

Well, this won't mean much to anyone but Marvel movie fans -- but it's easily one of the best films based on a Marvel character to date.  I'd put it on par with the first Iron Man and Spider-Man 2.

Hell, I may even run out tomorrow and watch it again.  Unless I find a decent cam rip first. big_smile

I am excited. I am soooo going to see this!

Wasn't able to make it to the theater  sad because of unpredictable circumstance ( step kids dad didn't show to pick up his kids) and am now planning on seeing it Sun. I will take your word on how well this one was done, Lon. Looking forward to Sun now!

I just got back from it and it is awesome!  love the Stark references, Love Hugo's role, love the CGI in making the dude look small. I just loved it!

I didn't ever read the comics but we studied it last year briefly in my English - American Culture class so I knew a bit behind the politics of the character. But anyway, saw this last night and I though it was excellent, you are right Lon, one of the best since Spidy 2. Captain America is one of the most likable super heroes ever invented, not that others are not, but he is a super hero with a truly human soul.

I thought it was great and I did like the Thor reference as well as Howard Stark appearing. Bring on the Avengers!

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

I didn't ever read the comics but we studied it last year briefly in my English - American Culture class so I knew a bit behind the politics of the character.

This being the case, you may be interested to know that once the comic reached a certain level of popularity in the 40s, stage shows actually were put on with performers dressing as Cap and selling war bonds.  In the movie, it's Cap himself doing that.

Also, there really was a serial back in the day featuring Captain America.  In the  movie, it's Cap himself appearing in the serials.

So as you can see, the writers really went all out to reference Cap's influence on real-world America during WWII.  And the character was indeed very influential; soldiers would actually receive, courtesy of the US Government, copies of his comics to help keep them motivated.  So while only a comic book character he did indeed have a very real effect on the war.

He is such a likeable superhero too!  I felt bad for him having to wear that goofy outfit in the above mentioned activity

I think Chris Evan portraying CC was redemption 'cuz that saved him from his bad role as the Human Torch in FF.

Just got back from it, it was great! Chris Evans was the perfect choice, I can't see anyone else in the role now. You really needed someone you could see Robert Downey Jr.'r Iron Man taking orders from, and based on what I knew about Evans, I wasn't sold on that. I am now, again, great job.

I would say it's probably the best superhero movie since the first Iron Man, which is second to my all time fave, the 1978 Superman. So this is up there with those for sure. I like how they worked Bucky in, and I think we haven't seen the last of him in this film series. It seems like I remember reading awhile back that the Invaders were going to be included somehow, I didn't see them, so I guess they must have changed their minds.

The only problem I had was that I thought it ended a bit too abruptly, I would have liked to have seen more of his reaction to the modern world. Not to mention a reunion with an elderly Peggy Carter, that would have been touching. But those are just minor quibbles, it was a great, fun movie that has me ready for more!

There's a nod to the Invaders early on, when Steve and Bucky are at the World Expo.  It shows a red suit in a glass case:  that was the suit worn by the original Human Torch (not the FF Human Torch) who was one of the Invaders.

Yeah, I did see that. I was just hoping the team would be introduced so that they might spin them off into their own movie set in WWII.

Just got back from watching this (finally) at the theatre. Damn that was a good movie! Im crazy over anything Marvel or WWII, so this was most excellent for me. Thought the Avengers trailer was gonna be a little better though.

I wonder how Steve in the Avengers will stand his place against a technologically advanced industrialist, a raging brute, and a Thunder God. I mean, they're more advanced than Cap in terms of powers but I wonder how he'll stand his place with the team.

His confidence definantly seemed boosted by the end of the film, but definantly not on par with Thor, Stark or Banner. Although he did shoot alotta Nazi's in the face, and thats always good for the ego.

Yeah and I remember Chris Hemworth briefly mentioning in an interview that the Avengers will have a brief clash/fight. But I see Hulk and Thor fighting for sure because they do have a rivalry. And I'm sure the fight scene will be not as cheesy as the one in The Incredible Hulk series. tongue

Hulk and Thor together are comedy gold. I loved the way they played off eachother in the new Avengers cartoon. Super excited about this Avengers movie, but I think even more so over the recently announced short films about Agent Coulson. That guy cracks me up.