Topic: Spaghetti Westerns

I've been a fan of the Sergio Leone 'Dollars' Trilogy for years and I've also seen 'Once Upon a Time in the West' and 'Django'.. Although I've been familiar with the genre for years, I haven't seen that many...

Just got 'The Big Silence' with Klaus Kinski.. I'm pretty excited to see it.. I love Klaus Kinski from all the films he did with Werner Herzog..

Could anyone please give me some other suggestions as to what spaghetti westerns i should watch next?

Re: Spaghetti Westerns

I've not seen a good many beyond the most notable and regularly named dropped
but I can say The Great Silence (1966), A Bullet For The General (1966) and Death Rides A Horse (1967) (great title, btw wink ) are all very enjoyable entries.
I think wolfman's the head honcho when it comes to westerns around these parts - I'm sure he could add some good suggestions as well

cooool thanks deadhorse.. I just rented 'Death Rides a Horse' but forgot to mention it.. Lee Van Cleef is a bad ass..

and yeah 'The Great Silence' is what i meant, not 'The Big Silence' haha..

Will definitely add 'A bullet for the General' to the list.. I looked it up and noticed it also has Klaus Kinski as well as Ramone from 'A Fisful of Dollars' in it too..

yup, as I think I've mentioned before - love me some Klaus!  smile

and Cleef is a bad ass.  he's a real whipper snapper in Sabata, too

Yep, Wolfy loves him some westerns.  Send him a PM for when he gets back from vacation.  There's someone else who is conversant in the genre (Wolfy & him were talking about them one night), but I forget who.  sad

That would be me. big_smile

But, like Deadie, there aren't many beyond the ones you typically hear about that I've seen.

One which does spring to mind, though, is a Hong Kong movie called Peace Hotel, which stars Chow Yun Fat as a reformed killer who runs a shelter for people seeking refuge from bandits and other villains.  Like just about any HK flick it has its bizarre moments, but it nevertheless carries a strong spaghetti western vibe. 

It also happens to be one of my favorite Chow Yun Fat flicks, so I recommend giving it a go.

Peace Hotel ay? is that more like a homage to the spaghetti western?

I found this list on 'the spaghetti western database' which i think i'll hit up:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index. … p_20_Films

Yeah, I'm still a spaghetti western virgin myself.

I LOVE Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy though. Classic flicks.
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly being my favorite of the three.

Takashi Miike's Sukiyaki Western Django (2007) is the director's homage to spaghetti westerns and features some input as well as an acting turn from Quentin Tarantino.  I thought it was very inventive, I'd suggest checking that out as well  smile

Ms45 wrote:

I found this list on 'the spaghetti western database' which i think i'll hit up:

great list there - there's a few near the bottom I haven't seen myself.

Ms45 wrote:

Peace Hotel ay? is that more like a homage to the spaghetti western?

An homage, sure.  Though I think it's less an homage and more a deliberate attempt to make  a spaghetti western, except with a Chinese cast.  Unlike most frenetic, high-energy HK period films, this is more a melodramatic character piece with the occasional action setpiece which ends, like most spaghetti westerns, with a stand-off between the hero and a whole gang of baddies. 

Some Chow fans complain that it doesn't meet the action standards of other classic Chow flicks (A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Hardboiled, etc.) but what they don't seem to realize is that those films are JOHN WOO films first and foremost, and that Chow is merely the star.  Chow co-wrote this flick, and while I believe Woo loaned some producorial assistance, he neither wrote nor directed it.

Just give it a look.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We'll surely check it out.. I love The Killer.. Cheers for the recommendation!

I thought El Condor was pretty rad. Not technically a spaghetti western, but it's got the vibe of one. It's worth watching just to see Lee Van Cleef play a more comedic part (rather well I might add) Plus Jim Brown is an eternal bad-ass

Cheswick the Magnificent was here!

Last edited by azathoth (2011-08-06 02:13:17)

see how ya are? LOL

What, just because I got lost?  Is that my fault?

Last edited by azathoth (2011-08-06 02:16:53)

Very much, I bet that was a gut buster!

They forgot the peanut butter.  What was I supposed to do?  All I had left was olive oil, and not even EVOO!

Last edited by azathoth (2011-08-06 02:39:55)

LoudLon wrote:

That would be me. big_smile

But, like Deadie, there aren't many beyond the ones you typically hear about that I've seen.

One which does spring to mind, though, is a Hong Kong movie called Peace Hotel, which stars Chow Yun Fat as a reformed killer who runs a shelter for people seeking refuge from bandits and other villains.  Like just about any HK flick it has its bizarre moments, but it nevertheless carries a strong spaghetti western vibe. 

It also happens to be one of my favorite Chow Yun Fat flicks, so I recommend giving it a go.

yes lonnie i did speak to you about SW'S and creature as well. good stuff .

hi MS 45! have you tried any of the Guilanno Gemma spaghetti westerns, they are pretty good aand he is one of my favourite  spaghetti western stars.  here's a few of the good ones.

A  Pistol For Ringo
The Return Of Ringo ( very good)
Day Of Anger ( with Lee Van Cleef)

another good one without gemma is "  A Bullet For Sandoval"

i must say i prefer the more serious ones i pretty much hate the comedy spaghetti westerns, they are too stupid.
hope that helps if you like those i have loads more i can tell you about smile

cool thanks! yeah i'm only really interested in the serious one.... i'll check these one out indeed.