Topic: Netflix???

Let me be the first to brag about netflix and how much this awesome program changed my life. I've seen movies that I never would have picked up at the video store. I love it! It's the best thing to happen to movies since..... Nevermind that but I'm stuck, my queue is running low and I don't know what movies I should add to it. So suggest some top flicks that I might might or ones I shouldn't have seen, your best bet post as many as you can because I've seen a ton. It doesn't matter which ones, I watch them all. Horror, drama, comedy, action, no Twilight of High School Musical BS either. So post away smile

Re: Netflix???

Seeing as how you're a Russo student you may be interested in a flick called Effects (1980), starring Joe Pilato and Tom Savini and made by a bunch of guys who used to work for Romero back in the day.  Pretty decent little flick -- and clever too -- about a film crew who may or may not be making a snuff film.

I'll be sticking with Netflix despite the  price increase.

They have some nice foreign horror films on there.

Some I've watched on Netflix Instant que recently that were good:

I Saw The Devil
Oldboy
Dumplings
Ichi the Killer
Frontiers
The Horde
Them (2007)
Infection
Mutants
Dead Snow

And The Fighter was a good drama movie:)

Last edited by IckiMikki (2011-07-26 16:02:49)

yeah I was a Netflix member for about 3 years - I found it invaluable - especially when it came to foreign horror titles I had been wanting to see forever.
Now with a stack of about roughly 200 films on my to-do list, I haven't found the need yet to reinstate my membership, but I'm sure it will come.

^I have sung the praises of Netflix since I became a member in 2008, but with the new pricing come September, and the alienation of their disc customers, I don't know that I will continue to do so.  They have pretty much stopped adding titles on disc, and they are not adding titles to their streaming line up fast enough to make up for it.  They actually used to have a cool feature where you had "Friends" that you could see what they have watched and what they have saved in their queue.  But of couse they did away with that feature over a year ago. 
Unfortunately, there is really nothing else that compares to Netflix out there.  Redbox only carries newer titles, and Blockbuster will not carry unrated or NC-17 films, plus they don't have the selection of foreign and older stuff like Netflix.  And depending on the distributor, some titles are censored.
So I don't know, I will probably stay with Netflix, but I am definitely going to change my plan.  And I plan on supplementing it with alternate sources.
Oh, and as for your question SF, check the Last Horror Movie you watched thread, I find it very helpful in finding new flicks, and also check you the morguespaces of members whose tastes are similar to yours.

I think their horror selection has gotten better over the past year. I have so many movies on my queue, I can hardly keep up with it, as soon as I watch em, I add tons more.

We're going to drop the mail disc part & just keep the streaming.  There are things that are mail-only, but there is so much streaming stuff available we really don't care.

wow, yeah the "friends" feature was cool.

I haven't been a member in about 2 years and I've stumbled upon some websites that keep me furthering my stockpiling of films to watch so I'm set up at the moment.  I don't care for streaming films because I'd be relegated to watching them on my comp. screen; however, when I can stream directly to my TV then that's when they'll probably get some business out of me again.

Fun fact, Netflix streaming already consumes 20% of America's broadband.  Imagine what it will be like if they force everyone into streaming?
The streaming is okay, the quality can be an issue, especially with movies that tend to be dark, take the Keep for example.  But I also miss the special features that the discs have, particularly on indies.

Last edited by alien25 (2011-07-26 16:23:09)

deadhorse13 wrote:

I haven't been a member in about 2 years and I've stumbled upon some websites that keep me furthering my stockpiling of films to watch so I'm set up at the moment.  I don't care for streaming films because I'd be relegated to watching them on my comp. screen; however, when I can stream directly to my TV then that's when they'll probably get some business out of me again.

Medium priced Blu-ray players generally having a Netflix feature.  Or you could just get a Roku player (I think it comes with a DVR function now, too).  $100-$200 or so.  And if you hook them up to your computer network, you can watch your computer stuff on your TV.

If you have an Xbox, Playstation or a Wii, you can stream Netflix on any of them too.  They also added an app to stream movies on your smartphone.

unfortunately, as I mentioned in some other thread a few days ago - my gaming capabilities firmly end with Sega's Dreamcast.  LOL
I'll be moving here really soon and plan on rewarding myself with a new TV and when I do I'll then be set up for streaming  smile

azathoth wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

Medium priced Blu-ray players generally having a Netflix feature.  Or you could just get a Roku player (I think it comes with a DVR function now, too).  $100-$200 or so.  And if you hook them up to your computer network, you can watch your computer stuff on your TV.

I own a Roku player and love it.
MLB has a package for about $100 for a season where you can watch any team.

Oh, forgot to mention, of the top 100 Netflix titles, only 5 are available to stream.

I hate the Netflix interface on PS3 now.

MacheteMassacre wrote:

Ditto

I hate the interface so much, I called Netflix, who told me that it was Sony's decision to make it more 'stream lined' (yes she actually had that tone in her voice), but the woman connected me to Sony's hotline, who then told me that they get thousands of calls a day about people complaining and we would 'have to get used to it'. Wow great customer service.

I like Netflix, but as soon as the they stop sending out the disc, forcing you to stream, I'm cancelling my membership. I'm not going to pay for something I can do for free.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2011-07-26 21:57:27)

you think that's bad, I've been on hold about my Genesis console troubles for what seems like years now

MacheteMassacre wrote:

I can't stand it on the PS3 either. I just use my 360 when I'm streaming. That or my phone.

MacheteMassacre wrote:

I hate the interface so much, I called Netflix, who told me that it was Sony's decision to make it more 'stream lined' (yes she actually had that tone in her voice), but the woman connected me to Sony's hotline, who then told me that they get thousands of calls a day about people complaining and we would 'have to get used to it'. Wow great customer service.

Loose the Sony, never had any problems with the Xbox or the Wii, not to mention never having the network hacked.  Sorry, but not a fan of anything that Sony does.

deadhorse13 wrote:

you think that's bad, I've been on hold about my Genesis console troubles for what seems like years now

Awesome!  big_smile

I actually thought about starting a Thread like this.  Then I realized, like any other Thread I've started there would be no responses.

The problem with the - Last Horror Movie You Watched - Thread, is that there are so many movies on there I don't know how to see.  A what you've seen on Netflix is a great idea for people like me.  I don't get the torrent thing and don't do it.  Last time I tried that my computer got so many viruses I had to use a condom just to shut it off.

I will probably get rid of the DVD part of Netflix.  I woulda like to keep it but so expensive.  Personally, wouldn't care if they got rid of it if they increased the streaming.  I have had a lot of problems streaming on my XBox though.  I get kicked out, and can't figure out if it's Netflix or XBox Live, but it rarely happens unless I'm in Netflix.  Maybe I'll try it on the Dreamcast.

Ghosty- you can try streaming on your computer to see if it works OK there, too.

GS, the problem is probably your internet connection speed.  If you are using a wireless network it could be worse.  In my case, I stream movies on the Wii in the main room and have our Mac hooked in the Kitchen/dinning room.  My son is on Xbox live and streams movies on it too.  So, since the modem/router is in his room, if he is playing games online or streaming movies, I have a hard time watching movies in the main room, not to mention the interference with the wireless.  The problem would likely be solved by upping our internet speed, I just haven't done so yet.