Topic: The New York Ripper - Uncut?

I am sure Sus knows for sure, so if you read this man, I need your guidance. Of course if anyone else knows I ask for your clarifcation as well.
I recently come across a cheap version of the Anchor Bay release of this film and I might go backto buy it on the condition that it is Uncut.
I know there are 3 versions, Anchor Bay's, Blue Underground's and BU's special edition. respecitvely their running times are said to be 85, 93, 85. I know the 93 minute version is said to be uncut, but are the other DVDs truly 85 min? I don't know if Amazon is wrong but I would like to know if all of these are uncut. Also is the Anchor Bay version worth it or shoudl I pay more for BU's new special edition release? I am not a huge fan of giallos, but for a good price and an uncut version I wouldn't mind trying it out.

So if anyone knows let me know!

Re: The New York Ripper - Uncut?

if my Anchor Bay print turns out to be actually cut I will be pissed LOL
AB claimed that what is known as "The Lucio Fulci Collection" are all uncut prints - NYR included. now if you have an AB copy that doesn't bare the "Collection" tag then I couldn't say for sure.
Blue Underground releases are fantastic though - I've double dipped on their behalf quite a few times.

haha ok that seems like an honest enough answer, thanks deady. This one did say The Lucio Fulci collection, I remember because I thought "well I might give this one last Fulci flick a try" because I haven't enjoyed his movies thus far. But if this is more along the lines of A Blade in the Dark (not Fulci I know, but a giallo that I actually didn't mind), but with more murders it might be worth it.
As for the BU release, do you know if the print is better than the AB one? Really I guess it doesn't matter because the only reason I became interested was because it is cheap so I will likely get this AB one anyway. Just curious though.

you'd have to be a real picky bastard to tell IMO.

I had both Vampyres and Daughters of Darkness from Anchor Bay and then upgraded when Blue Underground released them - the BU prints are a bit better, but only by a very slight margin - you really had to do a side by side comparison to really see it.  If the blood-n-guts are generally red and the tits-n-ass are flesh-colored then I'm pretty good to go.  LOL

the special features are normally what gets my attention in deciding

Haha, alright excellent. I guess I might go pick this one up then. Thanks a lot deady. Your respones are both informative and entertaining smile

oh, and Vamp....

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

I remember because I thought "well I might give this one last Fulci flick a try" because I haven't enjoyed his movies thus far.

....how dare you!!
Don't Torture A Duckling?  Zombie?  The Beyond?   really?
wink

The Anchor Bay version is uncut. I own the BU version and the AB version. Both are the same. All of the gore and nudity is intact.

I had the Anchor Bay version and currently the Blue Underground version. As far as I know, there is no difference.

I also have the Anchor Bay disk.  It is indeed uncut.

A shameless plug, anyone can check out my review on The New York Ripper over on my site, www.thegiallogoon.wordpress.com

MacheteMassacre wrote:

A shameless plug, anyone can check out my review on The New York Ripper over on my site, www.thegiallogoon.wordpress.com

I would recommend people to check it out.  It's a tad long, but it is good.

deadhorse13 wrote:

oh, and Vamp....

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

I remember because I thought "well I might give this one last Fulci flick a try" because I haven't enjoyed his movies thus far.

....how dare you!!
wink

Haha, I admit I haven't seen those ones, Zombie didn't interest me before because I hate worms more than anything except maggots and that picture on the cover is a zombie with fucking  worms in it's eye! Disgusting. Lol, that is seriously the reason I never saw it, but I should check it out, I am ashamed. The Beyond I never finished and just never went back to it, although I guess it wasn't too bad, and never saw Don't Torture a Duckling. Basically I hated Cat in the Brain, it was just too disgusting for me near the beginning, I don't know why I just felt too queasy and I could hardly eat anything that day. But I managed through the movie and other than the murders it is just too silly for me, silly music and characters. As for House by the Cemetery I guess it wasn't too bad, but still thought it was too silly, but I may revisit it since I actually liked another Giallo for the first time, as mentioned above, and I will at least try out Zombie, although I have pretty much already seen all of the gore scenes on youtube lol.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2011-07-28 06:38:16)

Also thanks Sus, Lon, Machete and Az, good to hear it from more people.
Machete, I started watching your video review and it had me laughing, but I had to stop it because after the ferry murder I haven't seen anything else in the movie and I don't want it spoiled, but it seems like good stuff, cool little site you have.

Vamp_Slayer wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

oh, and Vamp....

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

....how dare you!!
wink

Haha, I admit I haven't seen those ones, Zombie didn't interest me before because I hate worms more than anything except maggots and that picture on the cover is a zombie with fucking  worms in it's eye! Disgusting. Lol, that is seriously the reason I never saw it, but I should check it out, I am ashamed. The Beyond I never finished and just never went back to it, although I guess it wasn't too bad, and never saw Don't Torture a Duckling. Basically I hated Cat in the Brain, it was just too disgusting for me near the beginning, I don't know why I just felt too queasy and I could hardly eat anything that day. But I managed through the movie and other than the murders it is just too silly for me, silly music and characters. As for House by the Cemetery I guess it wasn't too bad, but still thought it was too silly, but I may revisit it since I actually liked another Giallo for the first time, as mentioned above, and I will at least try out Zombie, although I have pretty much already seen all of the gore scenes on youtube lol.

You got to finish The Beyond, it's one of my favorite horror movies, and the uncut version is gory as hell.

Makes me wonder what version I watched?  I guess it wouldn't matter much since I had a hard time getting into a movie where the killer talked like Donald Duck.  tongue
Just didn't do much for me.  I did however like the foot in the undies scene.  Nice ;D
And VS, I am not a big fan of Fulci either, hated Cat in the Brain, and thought that House by the Cemetary was just plain silly and featured quite possibly the most annoying kid (Bob) in the history of cinema, but you should finish the Beyond and check out Don't torture a Duckling, those would have to be my favorite movies of his that I have seen thus far.

MacheteMassacre wrote:

That's hell entertaining! I'm glad you pointed out the hilarious opening credits....

Vamp_Slayer wrote:
deadhorse13 wrote:

oh, and Vamp....

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

....how dare you!!
wink

Sounds like you have a pretty weak stomach for a horror fan, haha! IMO, most of Fulci's films are masterpieces in there own way. I suggest you check out The Beyond, Lizard in a Woman's Skin and definitely, even though you hate worms, Zombie...after all, aren't horror films supposed to be repulsive/terrifying/disgusting?

Nah not a weak stomach, there are just some things that get to me, like everyone. Worms happen to be one of em. Allow the me to lose my manliness and "yucky!" lol. 
As for Cat in the Brain, I dont know what it was, maybe it was cause I tried to eat the first time I watched it and it put me off. The stabbings and such didn't both me, it was the cat scratching at the "brain" matter and the steak made from the leg that grossed me out. At least in Hostel II they made the character eat it raw. Plus the movie was just too weird even after those moments past. I didn't get into it. But again different thigns get to different people for different reasons. Everyone is different.
I should check out Zombie...I means it's only that one zombie with worms in it's eye right? I've really only scene the wood splinter in the eye form that film and that made me almost watch it, but then I saw the worms in a photo and quit haha.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2011-08-09 12:02:49)

I have the AWE version which is uncut and it is specially restored so its picture quality and detail is far better than the other dvd versions . This is a dvd though, no Blu Ray version. It is also region 0 Pal. Here is a article about it.

http://www.horrordvds.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=652

I have the AB Lucio Fulci Collection DVD of New York Ripper.  I enjoy Fulci's movies,  I think I own most of them now.  The Beyond, Don't torture a duckling, and City of the living dead are my favorites.  smile   Vamp,   I understand your thing about the worms,  I have the same reaction with eyes.  Zombie has a scene with an eye piercing...Yuck!  But the Shark scene was awesome smile