Topic: Long Time Dead Zombie Short

We just got sent a short film called Long Time Dead which is an homage to our favorite director George Romero. Rather then tell you about it myself here is what the filmmaker says about his film.
What is Long Time Dead? Long Time Dead is a personal ...

Read More : Long Time Dead Zombie Short

Re: Long Time Dead Zombie Short

It's pretty pedestrian so far... I think I've seen that scene in just about EVERY Zombie flick I've ever seen.  The backstory sounds interesting, but I didn't see a hint of it in the film. Was that the whole thing?

The clip you see is pretty much all there is at the moment.  The back story was the original idea...there is another part being edited as we speak, LTD: Despair...another 4 minutes or so.  It is the 2nd part of the mini-film.  This is simply a tribute/homage to Romero.  Some of the footage we shot nearly 10 years ago was damaged and didn't transfer well from Super 8 to DV.  The original idea had two different stories contained in the film.  One of the guy fighting through the living dead to reach his love, the other part showing the fate of his love.  All throughout the story, the guy is fighting, risking his life, doing everything he can to reach his love.  Basically it is all in vain, because she falls victim very early.  The ending, on a much grander scale than the footage we shot, would come across very well on film.  Too bad we never got the chance nor will ever get the chance to tell the complete story.  Thank you for taking a look at the film and commenting...at least I know it is being seen.  Thanks again!

~Craig Schwickrath

No Probs, Craig.  Honestly, talk to Leif Jonker at 13th Dream Entertainment.    He's a buddy of mine and has had experience in the upscaling and cleanup of Super 8 film to a digital product that looks decent.  Plus you can even shoot in DV, and with software packages degrade the film to look like your original footage.  I really dig the concept and hope you can see it finished.

Yea I liked this short.. It seemed more like a music video but it was still pretty damn cool.. I really love home grown zombie stuff like this..

The second mini-film, Long Time Dead: Despair will be finished shortly.  Hopefully I will be able to post the video by the weekend.  I think it has a classic monster feel to it.

Looking forward to checking it out..

Sounds cool, man.  I enjoyed this one, so I'm looking forward to the next.  Keep up the good work.  wink

For anyone who is interested, I finally completed the second part of Long Time Dead, LTD: Despair.  I provided a link for you to check it out via youtube.  Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/Z8RTTMQs8eo

(Long Time Dead: Despair)

~Craig

If you like the film, please share it with you friends!  The link for the original short is below.  Thanks again for any support, comments!  ~Craig

http://youtu.be/NjTt4vPwfBc

LTD: Hope

http://youtu.be/Z8RTTMQs8eo

LTD: Despair

How did I miss this the first time around?  hmm
I will now check this out.

What did you think?

I don't know if you want me to review this.  I'm known for being brutally honest.

I am no Steven Spielberg...I'm assuming you are not Roger Ebert...

What did you think?  Good?  Bad?  Ugly?

A glowing review would increase my youtube hits by 10-20 views...a seething review may give me 15-30 hits!  wink

OK.  I liked the sepia tone filming.
The zombies reminded me of drunk frat boys in college moreso than zombies.  Pasty faces with eye black and sweatpants a zombie do not make.  The hammer FX was pretty good.  I'm not sure about the cemetery scene- I can't decide if it's an homage or rip-off.

My 2 biggest complaints:
1.5 minutes of credits at the beginning of a 5 minute vid.  I watched them out of respect.
The damn music was the worst part.  Shambling 'zombies' + thrashing music = cognitive dissonance.  Plus it wasn't very good music (but that is subjective).

I give you credit for putting these vids together, I can barely do a video movie review. 

My advice, if you want it-
If you keep the music, make your zombies fast.  If you keep the shambling zombies, go to more atmospheric music.  Try some new tricks for the zombie makeup.

There you go.

Honest critique!  I thank you for thoughts.

I keep changing the year this was originally filmed.  I say 1999...it could have been 1998 or 1999.  Regardless...it is over 12 years old.  We did this on zero budget...and it it shows wink

I like slow zombies and I understand the pacing in regards to the music used.  This is as good as it gets...I have no plans of filming anything else...I tried to piece together as much of a