Topic: The Thing Prequel trailer

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= … xjm94GnrPA

This looks more like a remake to me...of course the same basic premise could very well apply to a prequel I suppose. Although this looks to have the "someone is not what they seem" type of theme going like Carpenter's version. This looks like it could be okay though, as long as they can keep the atmosphere and add some new stuff. It may be pretty good.

What do you guys think?

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1OpwEu7luk

It's a prequel, as in they actually find The Thing and thaw it.  It's also a remake of "The Thing from Another Planet."

But yeah, looks like "The Thing" pretty much.  Should be good, methinks.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

I'm still undecided.  I would have been all for a sequel, but a prequel -- we already know how it's going to end.  Plus, prequel or not, it looks just like Carpenter's The Thing, except with a chick.

I dunno.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

^^^
Well, you see how badly the 'Star Wars' prequels screwed up all kinds of things, so who knows what they're going to do with this one?  They might just have Trogdor fly in and burninate the Thing.  big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2011-07-24 20:20:48)

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

I actually think Carpenters version sets up a prequel nicely. It would be kinda cool to see what happens at that foreign station...although as a said im sure its similar to the Carpenter version. It would still be cool if this one ends with a helicopter crash!

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

harryden007 wrote:

I like to spank my beaver and my favorite horror movie is Snoop Dog's Hood of Horror

I have an unnatural attraction to my mommy's tushy, and these are my favorite websites-
Fuzzy Beaver World of Warcraft Guild
I Love Fancy Pants

Well, aren't you just so special!  big_smile
(sad part is it was either a spambot or a moron drive-by that will never see my art.  sad )

Last edited by azathoth (2011-07-25 03:25:30)

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

Looks visually dedicated to the Carpenter version. I'm just a little worried about overdone and unnecessary CGI "Thinging". Horrors/scifi today seem to think pushing the envelope means visual overload in effects and bad camera placement. Not that I see this in the trailer... save that one horrible shot of the snow plow plunging downward into an ice cavern.. and the camera shooting up from the bottom.  Ughhhh!!!  Would have had much more visual and audible impact to just see the plow plunging into darkness and hearing the horrors of it (and the crew's) dark decent to death.  Other than that.. it looks cool.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

andersion wrote:

A recipe and a picture will be the topic for the recipe contest opening on March 21, with the Spring Season. We want your favorite recipe and a picture with it.

Cute monkeys

And we want you to shut up

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

I would like to see this movie.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

So much of this trailer seems like a direct copy of Carpenter's. I guess we'll see if that's good or bad. I really hope it delivers.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

^ does look much like a direct remake...but ya gotta consider a prequel would most likely have the same setting and the same creature, like JC's version. I think if they get the creature effects right and they are well done then this could be a good one!

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

im still not sold on this. i will still check it out of curiosity.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

ChainSaW80 wrote:

^ does look much like a direct remake...but ya gotta consider a prequel would most likely have the same setting and the same creature, like JC's version. I think if they get the creature effects right and they are well done then this could be a good one!

The only difference will be them actually discovering the Thing.  I just hope that the CGI isn't bad.  One of the best things about JC's Thing was the practical FX.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

I'm not the expert on The Thing like some people here are.  Gotta say this prequel, at least from the preview, has so many scenes that seem to be very similar to one in the original.  Like, so similar they look almost the same.  I'm not a huge fan of prequels anyway cuz obviously you have a pretty good idea how it will end.

With that written, this one looks pretty dam good.  Glad it's an October release.

Az - What you think about trying to arrange a Halloween movie night for a new release in a Theater!  big_smile

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

Ghostseeker wrote:

Az - What you think about trying to arrange a Halloween movie night for a new release in a Theater!  big_smile

Not sure what you mean by this.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

I'm not sure what to think of this either. The trailer looks OK, but it does look more like a remake then a prequel. The camp has pretty much the exact same look as in JC's The Thing, and they even have the same breed of dogs in an exact replica cage that was in Carpenter's flick too.

Adding a woman into the cast may be interesting though. Trailer looks alright, and it may be good. It's a wait and see type of thing I guess.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

azathoth wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

Az - What you think about trying to arrange a Halloween movie night for a new release in a Theater!  big_smile

Not sure what you mean by this.

Az it was a joke.  Was suggesting we could do a movie night like normal, but one where we coordinate to do it from different Theaters at the same time through out the world.  So we would all go to a showing of The Thing prequel, and sit on Skype.  Hence the joke part, because this is unrealistic for a number of reasons.

I seriously need to just stick to talking to my stuffed animals.  They get my humor.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

^^^
That's OK, the whole movie night started off with me trying to coordinate people to come to the same physical location to watch movies.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

Dude I remember!  That stemmed from a conversation WE were having!  Bet you don't remember what Thread it was do you?  I do.  smile

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

The Creature wrote:

I'm not sure what to think of this either. The trailer looks OK, but it does look more like a remake then a prequel. The camp has pretty much the exact same look as in JC's The Thing, and they even have the same breed of dogs in an exact replica cage that was in Carpenter's flick too.

Adding a woman into the cast may be interesting though. Trailer looks alright, and it may be good. It's a wait and see type of thing I guess.

Ah, but remember the one particular dog came from the compound that originally discovered "the thing". They are trying to shoot it from the helicopter in JC's version. smile

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

Ghostseeker wrote:

Dude I remember!  That stemmed from a conversation WE were having!  Bet you don't remember what Thread it was do you?  I do.  smile

Was that you?  Sorry, I've been doing so much Movie Night discussions the past few months they're blending together!  I guess that's a good thing?  Oy, what a weekend.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

So this is a 'Premake' then? Why the hell are they calling it THE THING. It looks more like a remake of Howard Hawks original THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, so its sort of a remake, yet its using the flash absorbing beastie from carpenters film and dealing with Norwegians, so its a Prequel too. Very strange. Im in tho, it looks like theyre resepcting Carpenters vision, but we all know that trailers can be very misleading. It'll most likely have CGI 'things' and explosions aplenty, but Im a glutton for punishment, and will definitly see this.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

azathoth wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

Dude I remember!  That stemmed from a conversation WE were having!  Bet you don't remember what Thread it was do you?  I do.  smile

Was that you?  Sorry, I've been doing so much Movie Night discussions the past few months they're blending together!  I guess that's a good thing?  Oy, what a weekend.

hey Az, sorry Ive not been in touch. My PC suffered a horrific fate and is still in needd of ressurection. Ive been working on my website via dodgy laptop.
(Hopefully when its reborn, skype will finaqlly work)

Anyway...back to the topic.....:P

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

Going under a new name? 
You still have 9 days til the next Movie Night to fix your stuff.
Though that does remind me, I need to backup since I just upgrade my OS.  Hope you get it fixed in time.  Got some classics next weekend.

Re: The Thing Prequel trailer

Looks very similar to the original in content expect for it looks like the first ecnouter with the Thing which would suggest it's about the people who discover it first before it comes to the US camp in the first movie smile