Topic: Stag Night

Finally got around to seeing this Ghost Series entry. Not bad, but it just doesn't quite deliver the goods needed to compare with the films that clearly inspired it.

STAG NIGHT is quite obviously a remake of RAW MEAT (Brit. '72), right down to location, ad campaign, and design of the cannibals, their eyes, hair, outfits, the whole frickin' box'n dice. In a more contemporary comparison, however, the film is kind of like  THE HILLS HAVE EYES in a subway... minus everything that made HILLS such a shuddering good view.

Weak Points

The soundtrack.
In a horror film, a great soundtrack is often as important as character portrayals, and worth investing some serious coin into. Even in a crap film like CARVER, a really cool and catchy version of Turkey in The Straw, sent it out of the starting gate like a bullet laced with 100-percent pure attitude and mood.  Alas.. in Stage Night there is not a single stretch, beat, or chord of music that strikes you at any time. It's a totally mundane and forgettable score that adds nothing at any point.

Camera work / action editing
You know... I've just about had it with that hand-held, jittery & shifting side to side camera work that is suppose to..... I don't know... create spontaneity and a verte' feel to action?? IT DOESN'T!!!
I can't wait until filmmakers go back to actually thinking out shots and framing them with the skill of photographers who frame scenes and people for photographs. 

The Cannibals
Though derivative of those in Raw Meat, they lacked any sort of individualism. Looked the same (the one or two times they weren't in darkness), dressed the same, used the same weapons, killed the same, grunted the same, and ran the same to that fluttering jerky camerawork. And was it me or did the lead cannibal look like Rob Zombie with David Lee Roth make-up from the Eat'm and Smile LP cover??

The Good Points.

Gore
is decent though too often masked in group slaughter scenes by faux found-footage style camera wonkiness that is further laboured by grain.

Acting
It's okay, and the character portrayals satisfactory. In fact, at times some are quite well drawn and tied together in the end (for the main character especially), but alas such character elements are often not heard and not assimilated because the characters spend so much of the film jogging from one underground locale to the next, so what they say on the run tends not to register.

Environments.
Really authentic, oozing with atmosphere.

Action / Killing scenes.
While some are traditional and happen in typical order, not everyone dies when you think they will, or how you think they will.

Pacing
Not breakneck, but it does move at a reasonable clip to keep you watching.

Overall.. worth a viewing not a purchase.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2011-07-27 21:35:09)

Re: Stag Night

I'm a big fan of Raw Meat.  Pleasence is quite the quirky one in that film, too.
For this reason alone I'm curious to give this a watch.  Thanks for the heads up.

I'm also a fan of Raw Meat, haven't seen this one yet. I'll check it out.

It is worth a watch, if you don't have anything better to do, but it is certainly nothing to write home about.  Raw Meat trumps this one any day.

alien25 wrote:

It is worth a watch, if you don't have anything better to do, but it is certainly nothing to write home about.  Raw Meat trumps this one any day.

Yes.. I think everyone basically got that from my review.

Bunshinsaba wrote:
alien25 wrote:

Gee sorry, I didn't know that no one else was allowed to share their opinion. wink

Last edited by alien25 (2011-07-28 21:52:28)

Ive seen it ..  a cross between Escape from New York/CHUD/Hills Have Eyes set in the sewers.. it was a'rite

Bunshinsaba wrote:
alien25 wrote:

now now.. dont break your arm patting yourself on the back there Bunshinsaba..

lol

MistressOf Horror wrote:
Bunshinsaba wrote:
alien25 wrote:

lol

Hey... I'm all about opinions and encourage them to the max.  tongue   It's just a pet peeve when folks don't elaborate or justify their exclamations.  Nothing wrong with saying a movie is "rubbish", or "amazing" for that matter.... but why not provide a few details, personal thoughts, proof of your opinion, etc...or comparisons as Mistress did.  After all, knowing  "why" someone holds an certain opinion on a subject, is the foundation of conversation; it's what fuels interest and further discussion and opinion on the topic.   My two schillings.

Bunshinsaba wrote:
MistressOf Horror wrote:
Bunshinsaba wrote:

lol

Hey... I'm all about opinions and encourage them to the max.  tongue   It's just a pet peeve when folks don't elaborate or justify their exclamations.  Nothing wrong with saying a movie is "rubbish", or "amazing" for that matter.... but why not provide a few details, personal thoughts, proof of your opinion, etc...or comparisons as Mistress did.  After all, knowing  "why" someone holds an certain opinion on a subject, is the foundation of conversation; it's what fuels interest and further discussion and opinion on the topic.   My two schillings.

Well perhaps had I been the creator of said thread, then I would have felt obligated to provide greater detail about my opinion.  But since I really only chimed in to agree with your assertion, I did not feel the need to go into alot of detail, and being pressed for time, I kept my comments to a minimum.  Besides, you already had all of that covered anyways, didn't you? wink

I like monkeys.

^Me too!

^^
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1238512403_dancing_chimps.gif

(yes, I am completely insane)

Last edited by azathoth (2011-07-29 12:07:36)

I like monkeys too !  smile

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/upload/monkey2112008.jpg

MistressOf Horror wrote:

Well perhaps had I been the creator of said thread, then I would have felt obligated to provide greater detail about my opinion.  But since I really only chimed in to agree with your assertion, I did not feel the need to go into alot of detail, and being pressed for time, I kept my comments to a minimum.  Besides, you already had all of that covered anyways, didn't you? wink

It wasn't you to whom I was referring. You chimed in, agreed, and even chucked in a few film titles to add some color. No probs with that at all. Decent response. It was the other entry.

btw: hate monkeys. vile, ugly-ass, cannibalistic primates stuck on the going-nowhere wheel of evolution.

Bunshinsaba wrote:

btw: hate monkeys. vile, ugly-ass, cannibalistic primates stuck on the going-nowhere wheel of evolution.

So much for that whole 'respect' credo Meh espouses.

azathoth wrote:
Bunshinsaba wrote:

So much for that whole 'respect' credo Meh espouses.

Clearly Az, there are those amongst us who don't feel that it apply's to them.
Did I tell you that I like monkey's by the way.

^^
That is because you are a fine, fine alien!  big_smile

^And you sir, are a fine example of why the primates have taken over the world. smile

Rule #1: Respect.  Feel free to disagree, as spiritedly as you'd like, but don't make things personal.

A friendly reminder from yours truly. smile

^ jeez, you'd think he's like a mod now or something tongue

Rule #2:
Here monkeys are our friends, you can agree to disagree, but you'll still be wrong  wink

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.6378942.1.sticker,375x360.manic-monkey-with-4-thumbs-up-v1.png

Alien has been around here a while and has recommended some dam good movies to me.  He doesn't need to always go into a dissertation on why he likes a movie.  Sometimes a simple nod from him is all it takes.  I value his opinion a lot more than some.

Just cuz someone creates a Thread it does not make them - The Decider of the Appropriate Response.  All people on the forum can chime in how they see fit as long as it's respectful.  That's what makes it a forum. 

I like monkeys.

Ah, you guys/gals are great.  big_smile

Both Monkey and Xenomorph approved!! big_smile