Topic: Cannibal Ferox Re-Released on DVD

Hey guys it looks like Grindhouse Releasing have a thing for Cannibal films. They are gonna re-release the long out of print Cannibal Ferox on DVD.. Check it out..

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6576.html

Re: Cannibal Ferox Re-Released on DVD

A perfect example of a movie I won't be buying. Exploitation films are what bring the horror genre down in my opinion and this one takes the cake. That and Cannibal Holocaust.

Flipping sweet.  Been looking for this for a long time.

Man I love exploitation films.. There are alot of horror fans who live for this stuff.. I think the stuff that brings the horror genre down is crappy PG-13 teeny bopper movies like The Covenant..

Lol. Yeah, I'd rather see an exploitation film over some corny film like the covenant. Still, what i hate about exploitation films is that they lack plot and character development and substitute it by filming numerous shock and gore scenes. I understand that some people love them though. I personally just don't like them and would rather see some more in-depth movies like The Thing(which had both gore and plot)and Dawn of the Dead.

I like watching these kinds of films to look into a black eye as it were for horror.  I mean, Cannibal Holocaust is an excellent film but there is no excuse for really killing animals.  Also, the cannibal sub genre has only about 12 maybe 20 tops *at least that I know of* so its a dead sub genre with probably the smallest count of movies.

I also like old exploit films.  I even find corny fun in Jess Franco's movies.

Your right about that. They took Cannibal Holocaust way too far with the animals. They even slaughtered a live sea turtle on camera. I'm not quite sure what was running through their minds when they decided that would be a good thing to film.

Actually all of the cannibal films I know of have real animal cruelty.  And I gotta agree with you Leon of what was going through their minds.  One of those things interviews with Deodato (director of Holocaust) and Lenzi (Ferox) never seem to be clear on.

I read that somewhere actually. Saying that they seem to always avoid that question of why they used real animals to perform those scenes.

Can't blame them.  And I wonder what would happen if PETA ever found out about these films?  Or if they already knew?  Lord, they would have a field day and try to get the video nasty era back in full force against this sub-genre.

I'm sure PETA is aware of it, but theres not much they can do now. The movie has been available over here in the U.S. too long for them to take any action now. It would just be like beating a dead dog.

Yeah...unless someone does another cannibal film.  But uses fake animals...but bars PETA from set and make them go bonkers.  That imo would more or less funny as hell.

I'm sure it would be. Now imagine an exploitation film focused solely on animal murder. That my friend would cause quite a stir among the ranks of PETA.

Aw, man I hate to bring the mood down.  I hated Cannibal Ferox.  I thought it was one of the most boring films ever to be put into my dvd player.  I will pass on this re-release.  I will pass on watching this film again.

I have never seen Cannibal Ferox and I'm still curious about it. I mean I think Cannibal Holocaust is a great film.
Those animals that were killed were eaten by the actors and crew. It just so happened that they filmed those people killing them.
If you have ever hunted before then those scenes are nothing. They didn't just kill them for the sake of killing. It was food. I know they did exploit it, and it didn't have to be in the movie but that was to show their true characters.
Even if it wasn't in the film they still have to eat.
I don't mean to come off as cruel because I'm not a cruel person. This debate is not new and has been going on since this flick came out.

I read a recent interview with Deodato about the animal killing and he said if he could go back he wouldn't have done it.. So he definetly feels remorseful about it. I mean back in the day they did stuff on the fly for movies and they wasn't a real big deal made out of it..

Are you kidding? Do you really think if they were filming a movie that they wouldn't have prepared food earlier? No matter how low a budget they had, they would have had enough to feed the actors and crew. No, those animals were used purely for exploitation. No where in any commentary or in any article was it stated that those animals were used for anything other than filming purposes.

He probably regrets it only cause of all the flak he has gotten over the years.
No I'm not kidding. For one thing they even ate it in the movie. Somewhere it was mentioned about feeding the crew but I don't know where it is at the moment.

In the interview he talks about how he was young when he made the film and how just killing the animals for his film was something he would never do now. Hes gotten older and he realizes how stupid it was to do at the time.. I looked for the interview but I can't seem to find it.. It was on Fangoria..

As far as feeding the crew, maybe they did but they killed that thing specifically for the movie.. Maybe later they decided to eat it but that wasn't the intent..

I watched part of my Cannibal Holocaust DVD and I think he mentioned that the natives just ate the animals that were killed. 

But...back then Deodato was young and you could get away with a lot back then.  Nowadays, age and wisedom has probably set in.

Still..when I can I'm gonna buy Ferox.

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-09-26 22:57:32)

I dunno, to me Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox are different.  I loved Holocaust and hated Ferox.  I think it was the whole mood of Ferox just bored me.  The animal killings really didnt make me upset at all.  It was hard to watch though which impressed me.  And no, I'm not an animal hater.