Topic: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Well this looks..amazing. I'm glad they went with a darker route for the movie and I like how Peter Parker's powers are being looked at as more of a curse to some extent. Hopefully this saves itself from Raimi's lame excuse of a trilogy, however I still enjoyed SM2. One thing that irks me is Sally Field being cast as Aunt May, had me lost there. Ah well, at least they're sticking true to the comics and I hope Spidey will still be our favorite affable web-slinger! big_smile

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

wow i just can not agree there, being and old school fan i think most of the suit looks bad. and sally field in anything is a mistake lol

I'm open to a new Spider-Man flick (Raimi's last one was horrible) and Andrew Garfield certainly resembles Spidey physically more than Tobey Maguire (though he was great in the role), but the seemingly darker tone is more fitting to a Batman flick.  Spider-Man's a cut-up, a jokester with a smart mouth and a sarcastic streak a mile wide, but the trailer I saw looks like a filmic cousin to The Dark Knight.

I'll check it out anyway, I'm sure, because I've always wanted to see The Lizard in a Spidey movie.  But I'm with Surv on the new suit design.  Horrible, horrible, horrible.  I mean, racing stripes, scales and sneakers?  Come on, man...

i agree the kid doesnt look too bad. i liked the first and second movie, the 3rd was a complete emo clusterfuck. and this kid alreadly looks too mopey for my tastes.

I was excited when I heard Andrew Garfield was going to be starring.  I've liked him in everything I've seen him in.  But then the set photos started getting released, and talk about emo'd out...he even has the long sleeves with thumbnails cut into them.  Peter Parker was a picked-upon nerd -- not a whiny, moody Morrissey fan. hmm

lol i like morrissey, but ive never been emo. i just have such problems with the costumes these days in the new comic movies. they suck so bad usually.

And what Nels Van Adder appearing in the movie (he's also known as Proto-Goblin.). I wonder how they can work an ugly hulking goblin into the future movies without him looking like a fool.

survivalist wrote:

lol i like morrissey, but ive never been emo. i just have such problems with the costumes these days in the new comic movies. they suck so bad usually.

Honestly I'm a fan of Morrissey myself, but I used his name because it was more recognizable.  I had at first typed Sunny Day Real Estate but I wasn't sure if anyone would get the ref. lol

I hope Andrew Garfield doesn't get over exposed as an actor. It seems as if there's a new-age actor they'll put them in a big name movie for recognition but I hope that isn't the case because I have a lot of respect for Andrew and I hone his acting skills, especially in The Social Network. And on another note, I can't wait to see the Lizard! big_smile

Ugh...don't get me started, sick of "reboots". I'm disgusted that they are starting the series over again. I woulda been on board for another film along the continued storyline. Fuck this reboot hmm

LoudLon wrote:

Honestly I'm a fan of Morrissey myself, but I used his name because it was more recognizable.  I had at first typed Sunny Day Real Estate but I wasn't sure if anyone would get the ref. lol

now lon, you KNOW im cooler than that.

my favorite superhero costumes from the movies are still, the original superman, and captain americas suit from 1990.
iron-man wasnt bad really but i was hoping for the classic golden avenger suit myself.

How do you guys reckon the Lizard will turn out? I hope he isn't a CGI mess, but I also hope he's sympathetic because maybe his son could be a voice of reason to control his animalistic ego, just like in the Spectacular Spider-Man AS.

well according to rumors, lizard is in it but not the main villain, possibly more cameo length.
but the other big rumor is he will use something to turn a swat team into humanoid lizards as well for some epic fight scene at the end.

Yeah Nels Van Adder is going to be in it, he was a test subject for Norman Osborne that turned him into Proto-Goblin. But the guy playings Nels is Indian and Proto-Goblin has tuffish blonde hair streaking out and I hope Proto-Goblin doesn't look like a fool if he ever is used in future movies. What else villains would you like to see in future movies? I'd like to see Rocket Racer, but maybe just his alter ego Robert Farrell.

No, I believe Lizard is the main villain judging by articles I've been reading online.  I caught a snippet of some footage featuring Lizard shown at SDCC but it was bad cell phone video, and all I could make out was a glob of green and red.  And unfortunately, Lizard will be a CGI creation. hmm

As for villains, I'm old school.  I like the classic villains from the 60s, and some from the 80s.  Guys like Electro, Mysterio, Chameleon, Kraven the Hunter, Molten Man, Circus of Crime, Hobgoblin, Rhino, the Scorpion.  I've never liked Venom, completely despise Carnage and if I never see another "alien symbiote" storyline in a Spider-Man movie again I'll die a happy man.

I just don't want to see the Spider-Man franchise fall into the same rut that the Batmans have, villain-wise.  While The Dark Knight was a fantastic movie, it still used villains we'd already seen before in earlier Batman films, and The Dark Knight Returns is doing the same thing (both Bane and Catwoman have been in previous Bat-flicks).

There are so many great villains in Spidey's rogues gallery to choose from, they'd be stupid to keep using the same ones over.

They could always move on to the crime syndicate of Spider-Man's enemies. Spidey's known for having high-tech and monstrous villains but it would be cool to see Hammerhead, Silvermane, or Tombstone used. Kingpin's a Daredevil villain so I guess it wouldn't work for a sequel.

I could see Kingpin (who was a Spider-Man villain LONG before he moved on to DD) because that character has a seemingly unlimited amount of resources at his disposal.

Tombstone and Silvermane, though, would be pushing it, IMO.  A human-level thug with the face of a corpse and a 90 year old man in a cyborg body just don't seem like that big a threat, regardless of how the comic writers choose to tilt their stories in order to make them as such.

A few years ago I was actually working on a fan-fic screenplay for Spider-Man 4 involving Kraven the Hunter (as a Bear Grylls-like hunter/survivalist with his own reality show lol ) and Hobgoblin (who, like in the comics, would have been a criminal who stumbles upon a hidden Green Goblins weapon stash).  I never finished it, though, once I saw the joke Kraven had been made into via the Ultimate Spider-Man comics.  Which irritated me.

LoudLon wrote:

As for villains, I'm old school.  I like the classic villains from the 60s, and some from the 80s.  Guys like Electro, Mysterio, Chameleon, Kraven the Hunter, Molten Man, Circus of Crime, Hobgoblin, Rhino, the Scorpion.

+1 on that bro. id like to see a miniseries on cable to fully show kravens last hunt storyline.

i dont read the ultimates line, i just cant stand them.

Last edited by survivalist (2011-08-10 17:04:26)

^^^ I gave Ultimate Spider-Man a try, but just couldn't get into it.  I strenuously disliked the new take on the character, as well as the new takes on his classic villains.

I did like The Ultimates, though (the Ultimate Marvel version of The Avengers).  At least, the first two volumes, anyway.

im excited for this movie but im not sure why Proto-Goblin is gonna be in it!!!! hmm

i gave the ultimates a chance, sure there was a few good issues here and there but in total i think it was a bigger fail than the new universe idea in the 8os

Oh, man, New Universe was a travesty!  They had one title that was good -- The 'Nam -- but within the space of just a few issues even that one became a joke.

Did you guys hear about the new Spanish Spider-Man? Atleast they're bringing some diversity to the character though some people think otherwise.

Well, he's the new "Ultimate" Spider-Man, now that they've killed Ultimate Peter Parker off.

So long as they don't monkey around like that with the original Marvel Universe Spider-Man, they can make him sky-blue-pink for all I care. lol