Re: The HM Musicians' Thread

I try  smile
and yeah, I love when he pulls a solo out of his ass that just rips - he's really come into his own in the last 2 years or so.  Unfortunately I haven't been his drummer in that time aside from a few jams like those.

and z3r0c00l - when my roommate went "heavier" I picked up a double kick but never got it down - definitely takes some skill - nice work  smile

Funny stuff, Creech.  Reminds me when my buddy Brian and I would sit around with our guitars and just start goofing off, making joke songs and improvising parodies. lol

Nice instrumental, Zero.  That was some pretty good double-kick you had going on there!

z3r0c00l - check out this Chris Adler (Lamb of God) video where he shows how he does the double kick in 'Ruin' (@ 2:12) - it blows my mind.  LOL

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4fm9t … s-ad_music

LoudLon wrote:

Funny stuff, Creech.  Reminds me when my buddy Brian and I would sit around with our guitars and just start goofing off, making joke songs and improvising parodies. lol

Thanks, Lon!

deadhorse13 wrote:

z3r0c00l - check out this Chris Adler (Lamb of God) video where he shows how he does the double kick in 'Ruin' (@ 2:12) - it blows my mind.  LOL

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4fm9t … s-ad_music

You've probably already seen George Kollias but this guy takes double kick to a whole new level. Although I love Lamb of God a shit ton more that his band Nile. Anyway, Kollias uses the Swivel foot technique which is what I used (not anywhere near as well).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagspfIdhqk

I play guitar, and uhhhhh... sing? It's more screaming than singing, at least for the genres I'm in.

I have a good screaming voice for metal, which is my favorite genre. My singing voice is jazzy/bluesy. It is a sad reality one must face.

I actually have a couple of songs we recorded with my old band. Line6 Pod + Drumkit From Hell, so the quality isn't the greatest, but I think we did a pretty good job without spending any money at all on the recording process. Also, there is evidence of my terrible singing and awesome screaming.
http://www.myspace.com/babylonski

creature, hilarious stuff. i got that damn song stuck in my head.
i rock a gretsch electromatic on fender reverb amp. i like rockabilly/blues.

^ Thanks, shesaid? ! big_smile

Mr. FURRER, Mr. FURRER, MR. FURRER!

Bass playa' over here (I'll start in on guitars...someday)!!!

Drummer here, altho I am singing and playing guitar in a cover band now.  I've played in may coverbands and original acts over the years and have allot of studio experience as well recording a wide range of genres from metal to latin to gospel.

This thread needs new stuff. I don't want to see it die!

- On a side note.... I'm looking to get some gear for my ipad. Being in an apartment really limits my guitar playing since all I have for an amp is a '79 Peavy VT Deuce 120W all tube monster!

Up until about a month and a half ago I spent the last ten years playing through a tiny little 25 watt Rocktron amp.  When my uncle, who is a former professional musician, found out about it he insisted on lending me his Kustom HV-30 High Voltage amp with a dozen effects switches ranging from vibrato to "arena sound" to delay and all kinds of others.  Ever since he loaned it to me I've been spending upwards of three or four hours a day jamming on it. lol

^^Hell yeah!! Sounds nice!

Okay, all you guitar gods out there.  I need some help.

Normally I learn songs by ear; if I'm having trouble, I look up the tabs.  But I've been trying to learn a song called "No Fault" by the band Big Wreck for a long-ass time and just can't seem to figure it out.  A bit of a heads up, though: this band is notorious for using some eff'ed up tuning.  But I can't tell if this particular song is in one of those funky tunings or even something as simple as D-flat tuning (half a step down from standard, sixth string dropped another full step).  Take a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4NDgATlLSQ

If any of you guys can help me figure this one out, it'd be much appreciated.  I don't normally have many problems figuring a song out but this one's been a thorn in my side for quite a while now, and I can't find a tab for it. hmm

My fiance is an excellent guitar player big_smile
Likes Yngvie, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci.
But anyways.
I asked about that song and all he could figure out about it was F sharp minor tongue
I asked his guitar buddy who is a teacher. Maybe he can shed some light on that.
Just waiting for a reply.

Ooh, that helps some.  See, this band were all music majors in college so they get into these really odd tunings that I, as decent a player as I am, sometimes have trouble figuring out.  Tell your dude I said thanks!  Hopefully with the proper tuning I can start to piece this thing out...

^^also, with my experience, most of the time guitar players are known for those funky tunings they also love to use the capo. So, keep that in mind too. Good luck!

Yeah, this particular band tends to do a lot of stuff in open D, open C, they've even done some stuff in open D-flat minor.  But I'd tried all those tunings and still could never figure out that particular song, and not being able to has always been a pain because when you listen to the song it actually sounds pretty simple to play; a couple clean chord changes, then some heavily distorted palm muting, a few bends here and there.  But that damn alternate tuning... 

It doesn't help that I've never taken any lessons, don't know scales, don't know theories, all that.  I can play well, but if you were to ask me what a pentatonic scale or phrygian mode is, about the only response I'd have is "What the hell are those?" lol

My guy has a good ear smile
I asked his guitar buddy who is excellent.
He has 6 songs to learn for some band who needs his skills for recording.
But he would try to squeeze in some time to listen to it and he's get back to me.

Right on.  No rush; it's been ten years, a little longer won't kill me.  Whenever he gets the chance is fine.  Pass on my appreciation, would you? smile

Will do smile

WAH!  I figured it out!!!

It was nothing more than Drop D standard.  The fact that this damn band so often mixes up their tuning, I just assumed they were using some funky tuning on this one, too.  But not five minutes ago I'm sitting here strumming on my acoustic, playing along to an Audioslave song, and I hit a chord that sounded familiar and sure enough, I had the rest of the damn song figured out in five minutes flat.

Jesus Henry Christ.  Ten years, and it was just fuckin' Drop D standard all along.  I feel so stupid...

^
Dummy

@LoudLon ah, but now it's over. The wait is finally over lol