Topic: Last Documentary You Watched?

Did a quick search on the site and didn't see anything like this on here (of course I'm not the most observant person either).

I'm an avid lover of documentaries, pretty much about anything so I thought this would be a good idea for a thread.

I just watched The most hated Family in America: IN CRISIS.

It's about the infamous Westboro Baptist Church. If you don't know who they are google it, you'll be very pissed off.

It amazes me how utterly insane these people are.

There is a website with a TON of documentaries to watch online for free so I'll link to this one if you want to watch it.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/americas … in-crisis/

Re: Last Documentary You Watched?

Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide (part 3 - The Dropped 33).

I've been looking for that documentary, Lon. I recently watched Cropsey.

@Lon is that one hard to find?

@MM I saw that one a few months ago. I thought it was REALLY good IMO.

It's worth the effort, MM.  Very good doc -- and long.  One disk is feature-length, one's over three hours, one's over four hours.  All kinds of Video Nasty goodness.

Just got my hands on a copy of the documentary Superheroes (2011), about real people who dress up as superheroes and go on patrol to stop crimes.  Will be watching it tonight.

The last documentary I watched was Fear of the Unknown: H.P. Lovecraft

Or a title that was close to that...agh, bad memory. But it was really good, very insightful look into the man's life. I never knew Lovecraft was racist until I watched this doc, and it made me want to get more into his stories.

You're almost right.  It was H.P. Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown.  Just watched that last week, myself.  Good doc.

Uhhhhhhh...im thinking maybe it was Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide

I think I just found the Video Nasties doc on a torrent site.

the last doc I watched was 'Graphic Sexual Horror' chronicling the now defunct real sex and torture website Insex.com

I found it highly compelling.  go figure  wink

MacheteMassacre wrote:

I think I just found the Video Nasties doc on a torrent site.

I was going to suggest that, but refrained so as not to appear as though I endorse such a thing.

Ahem.

^
I'd try to find it at your local retailer and stuff it into your pants, scream bloody murder, and bolt for the door.  It's that cool.  Just sayin  smile

Why not buy it
its well worth the price. I treasure my limited edition

^^I'd love to buy it but don't have the extra $$ right now. This is def something I will purchase though.

I don't think the VN doc is readily available to buy here in the states...I always look to buy before I dl anything.

Oh i see. So it costs extra cos you have to ship it over

Vasquez wrote:

Oh i see. So it costs extra cos you have to ship it over

I found it on ebay but I don't have a PAL ready DVD player and don't want to spend $50 before shipping on it.

Yeah, im sure its on amazon.uk and ebay but its gonna cost an arm & a leg with international shipping plus its region 2. Just dl lol

The Making of Creepshow.

Took me two days to download that damn thing only to find it was merely "eh."

There is no Dog
About the dyslexic atheist movement.

^  Heh.  Reminds me, oddly enough, of an old Benny Hill skit.

Postman walks up to a fence.  Sign says "Beware of God."  He walks into the gate.  BAM!  Bolt of lightning. lol

Benny Hill, that was good TV.

Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide, Part 3: The Final 39

Right before that I watched Superheroes (2011), a documentary about Real Life Superheroes.  A couple I was already aware of -- Thanatos and Z-Man -- but the rest were all new to me.  A bit disappointed that at times the filmmakers took the opportunity to show some of these people as buffoons -- which, yeah, they are, for the most part -- but don't really go into why some people dress up and go out on patrols and what-not. 

Some of these folks wear their costumes to draw attention to work they do in their community, such as feeding the homeless and providing them necessities, operating toy drives, things like that.  That's how I came to hear of Z-Man and Thanatos, and there's another one who calls himself Life, and while they may wear garish costumes their hearts and heads are in the right place -- they just endeavor to help socially, raising awareness and helping out the poor and homeless.

Then you have the straight-up psychos who go out looking to bait criminals into attacking them.  And most of these guys -- no training at all.  As in, NONE.  Just a dude or chick decides to put on a costume and go out and get into shit.  Most of these folks are people with behavioral disorders.  Loners.  Losers.  And one makes it painfully obvious he's a raging alcoholic, with delusions of grandeur.

Far more interesting to me were brief moments with a psychologist who discusses the reasoning some people use to justify why they put on a costume and go out looking for trouble.  Their hearts may be in the right place, but somewhere along the line they failed to realise that criminals carry guns and knives, and not a one of these Real Life Superheroes wears a bullet proof or stab vest. 

I tend to side with one of the NYPD detectives who's interviewed, and who says (paraphrasing) it's commendable that people want to help clean up the streets, but they act out of passion and not common sense, which could just as soon get someone else killed as themselves.

An interesting doc, but I think the filmmakers at many points use things out of context to paint some of these people as even bigger and sadder losers than they are, to the point where it actually feels like the camera is ridiculing.  Documentaries are supposed to be objective and show their subject as it is, without condoning or condemning.  This particular filmmaker dropped that ball.

LoudLon wrote:

Documentaries are supposed to be objective and show their subject as it is, without condoning or condemning.

Gotta say Lon, I watch a lot of documentaries.  One of my favorite type of film / show.  I rarely see one that fits with this.  They almost always have an agenda.  I'm not saying that is right or wrong, just is.  IMHO anyway.

That said, the Superheroes one sounds good.  Haven't seen it.

Well, that's just my take.  The key word in a documentary is "document" -- which is to record information based on fact.  When a documentary film-maker infuses a personal agenda or bias onto the subject he's documenting, it ceases to be fact, and becomes farce.

This is my problem with Michael Moore, for instance.  While his documentaries tend to present certain truths, it's his way of presenting them -- his own, subjective way -- which makes me question the veracity of what I'm seeing. 

In a rare exception, Moore's documentary Sicko actually does present facts which outrage us not because of Moore's blatant attempt to make them do so, but because the facts themselves are so strong that we can see them through Moore's agenda.

Anyhoo.  That's my take.