Topic: Ringu DVD releases

Hi Guys. Could you help me with a problem.

I have recently bought Ringu 1 from HMV with the Tartan Cinema label on it across the top inside a cardboard sleeve but the picture is really dark (literally black blocks of colour in places ) and there is dust and scratches. It also however says 2011 Palisades Tartan in smaller print at the bottom so i assumed it would be the best and latest release by the Tartan studio.
I tried to look u for reviews on it on Amazon and similar sites but could not find the same dvd version with the same covert art. The dark colours and dust and scratches added a certain element which i liked but on closer research i found that there are several other releases by Tartan and other studious, one of which is by Dreamworks, which i think is only available as Region 1. As a result the whole thing has confused me greatly and so i don't know what release is best.

What do you guys think is the best DVD release available on any Region, preferably 2 or is the DVD release I bought fine.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-08-20 19:24:40)

Re: Ringu DVD releases

Sounds to me like you got a VCD -- which are notorious for their low quality.

I have a different Tartan DVD release myself, and the film, while watchable, is also dark and grainy.  Of all the versions I've seen, the Dreamworks DVD release, having been remastered, is the best version out there as far as video quality goes.

^

What does VCD mean and what Tartan release do you have - The triple pack?  Also isn't the Dreamworks version not available on Region 2

I feel really annoyed and ripped off now by buying this dvd Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-08-20 19:22:28)

This is what my DVD cover looks like:

http://www.cinemasie.com/visuels/jaqsdvd/jaq350.jpg

However, there are no quotes, no star rating or any other text at all on the front cover, aside from "Tartan DVD," "Ring," and a small W in the bottom left corner.  The details on the back show MPEG2, DVD-9 single-side Doule Layers.  The movie's in Japanese with English subs.

Mine, too, appears to have been duped from a VCD.

As for region, give me a minute and check your PMs. smile

^

Does yours have the following extras -

Star and Director Filmographies
Scene selection
Stills Gallery
Mark Kermode Film notes
Original trailers
Press Quotes.

Nope.  No extras on mine; just the movie and scene selections.

The thing is i think the dust and scratching and colour tones kind of does actually add to the feel to the film in a positive way (like in Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

I do know a website where they have proper dvd quality links to the Dream-works version so i can check it out if i want to. The thing is i also bought Tales of Two sisters with the same Tartan Cinema label on the top so i don't know how that will look.

I haven't tried that one, but my copy of Ringu is all the lesson I need not to trust Tartan anymore.

Its really confusing though because ive researched other various Tartan releases and ive found about 6 different looking front covers for either single, three or four disc sets, all mentioned or available on different websites. Some remastered or not, which i dont know. Very confusing.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-08-20 20:30:16)

Do you have an XBox?  I read somewhere that it will play Region 1 discs & auto-convert to PAL.  The post is few years old, so I don't know if that is still true.

Here is one of the threads I found.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-08-21 00:18:25)

^
Unfortunately i do not have an Xbox, i just use my MacBook Pro to watch movies using VLC.