Topic: DVD Extinction?

Okay, this is on a different forum, but I wanna hear what you think. According to some people, Movies will go completely Digital and nobody will own DVDs anymore. Opinions?

Re: DVD Extinction?

I would buy that.  Personally I have over 500 DVDs that I've been strongly considering selling, since over the last year I've been watching more and more movies on my computer.

Besides, the simple fact is that technology's advancing faster and faster every day.  It took us, what, twenty years to advance from VHS to DVD, less than ten years to advance from DVD to Blu-Ray, and while that was going on we also advanced to renting streaming movies online.  So it's completely reasonable to assume that at some point in the next ten or so years, films won't be sold "physically" anymore at all.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-08-23 01:43:48)

It's depressing to think about honestly. I know that whether you're watching it on a computer screen, or a tv screen, its the same thing. But, just having the physical DVD itself is so satisfying. And even though VHS isn't the "big" thing anymore, its still around. VHS didn't completely dissapear. So, neither will DVD.

I'm also an avid VHS collector, so I know what you're talking about.  They may not ever fully go away, but at some point they will stop being sold. 

Companies stopped producing VHS tapes in '05 (I think the Cronenberg flick A History of Violence was literally the last film ever to be released to VHS).  It's completely reasonable to assume the same will happen with DVDs and Blu-Ray -- that they will always be around among collectors and nostalgia lovers, but at some point will stop being produced in favor of yet another format -- which from the looks of things will be, as you said, fully digital.

I agree, they may stop being sold, but how long until that happens? And I'm sure many DVD collectors won't stand for DVDs to go out from under the radar. I know I won't. I love DVDs and I don't want movies to go completely digital.

Physical media will probably go away, but not for a long time.  Broadband penetration is nowhere near the level it would need to be to drop DVDs.  Even with a fast cable connection, it take a good bit of time to DL a film.  After that you drop down to DSL and finally dial-up.

While I still buy DVDs and rip them to my computer system, most of my TV shows I download. And I buy my TV shows too.

I just rip and store my DVDs elsewhere.

I view it all on my xbmc media system that currently has about 4TB of storage but needs more at some point.

All of this is sent to my TV screen.

I don't see why I would want shelves full of clutter when I can just store it on a PC.

Now, if the PC crashes, I still will have my physical media and can rewatch and rerip to another media center.

I too think the day will come, not sure when, but hopefully it is a while from now. I love my collection and I completely understand what you mean about having the physical thing. I love having the box and art and people even buy some DVDs with certain art and boxes, like steelbooks. I think lots of people will always enjoy having the physical thing. Where would we go to get cheaper used movies or find hidden gems. All the fun will be taken out of movie buying lol!

tarrbot wrote:

While I still buy DVDs and rip them to my computer system, most of my TV shows I download. And I buy my TV shows too.

I view it all on my xbmc media system that currently has about 4TB of storage but needs more at some point.

I don't see why I would want shelves full of clutter when I can just store it on a PC.

Now, if the PC crashes, I still will have my physical media and can rewatch and rerip to another media center.

But if you still have the physical thing to back it up then would your shelves still not be full anyway? Lol

I personally feel there will always be a market for physical media, but with Apple TV and netflix there is no denying that they are taking a chunk out of dvd/blu-ray sales/rentals, why drive to the store and rent a movie when you can pretty much watch whatever you want with the push of a button or the click of a mouse.

There will always be those people who want to have the box with the art work and the physical disc, it gives a sense of ownership unlike digital media.

Last edited by morguex (2011-08-23 06:45:39)

tarrbot brings up a good point- hard drives fail.  And unless you're running a RAID setup or are fastidious in your backups, without the physical media you are talking about a good bit of time re-DLing, and that's even if the original supplier lets you DL again.

@Wifey_Slayer- He could always just box them up and stick them in a closet.

@Morguey- You touch on a good point about the extras.  Perhaps we'll see an increase in liner notes, cool & unique cases (I love my squishy Necronomicon Evil Dead DVD), and other things (like numbered editions).  People like to collect stuff that is different, and especially if it is limited (like my numbered Army of Darkness set- sucker is going for almost $200 now).

I just recently got a turntable and started purchasing vinyl again Az, there really is something cool about looking at the album cover and reading the liner notes that digital media cannot do and to be honest after listening to vinyl for the month or so, I haven't even turned on my cd player, cd/dvd/blu-ray just don't have that natural warm sound that vinyl offers, so again there will always be those people who want the physical media instead of just a bunch of 1's and 0's stored on a little disc or a hard drive.

^^
True dat.  No matter how much you ramp up your sampling rate, a true analog signal will always win.  There is also something 'nice' in hearing the imperfections in an LP.  There is such a thing as 'too perfect' when it comes to music.  Personal example- I got the Les Miserable CD (perfect studio cut) before I saw the show.  Sure, during the show the people running around added to it, but the raw vocals just punches right into you (not to mention the orchestra).  No fancy equalization, no retakes.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-08-23 07:18:54)

Vamp_Slayer wrote:
tarrbot wrote:

But if you still have the physical thing to back it up then would your shelves still not be full anyway? Lol

No, because they are in boxes down in the basement. smile

This makes a good case for streaming video but the problem I see with streaming is the current lack of truly high speed connections in the U.S.

Which means my 1080p netflix doesn't look quite as good as my 1080p locally stored ISO image of my DVD (BluRay technically since DVD isn't 1080p). Also, it doesn't have the extras nor does it have the interface on the DVD with easter eggs.

Another reason to either own the DVD itself or to have it ripped locally and stored on a server.

I show some of my interface in xbmc in the other thread located here

A quick image of my DVD interface for reference...
http://www.tarrbot.net/images/xbmc/xbmc_movies_001.png

Last edited by tarrbot (2011-08-23 10:46:12)

Ronemara wrote:

I agree, they may stop being sold, but how long until that happens? And I'm sure many DVD collectors won't stand for DVDs to go out from under the radar. I know I won't. I love DVDs and I don't want movies to go completely digital.

i agree Rone mara i love my dvd's and i very rarely watch films on my computer, about the only time i do now is on movie nights when i don't own the film. the screen is far too small!

DVD's and Blu Rays are better because you get artwork, Special editions, extras (including trailers, interviews, commentaries etc). Maybe that is not so important if you are watching a film that is not your favourite but if it is a film that you really love (like Aliens for me) i think, at least it is very important to have those extras and a physical copy you can keep forever. People say very similar things about downloading music.