Re: Last Documentary You Watched?

^
Thx very much

I seen a trailer for a doc called Machete Maidens Unleashed about exploitation movies filmed in the phillipines. It looked really interesting.

Anyone seen it?

I haven't seen that one. Sounds pretty interesting though.

I've heard of it and have been looking for it, but every torrent I find it's 0 seeds, or REALLY slow DL speed. hmm

Yeah Lon, for whatever reason we just don't get each other.  smile  I can totally see why you thought I meant the sarcasm though when I thought bout it.  I sincerely just meant I wasn't going to debate it, and meant the smiley as my way of saying no big deal and wasn't upset.  Not sure if you have been to any of the WM3 forums, but it is ridiculous on both sides the way people go off and talk to each other.  Not that that isn't common on other forums too.

Anyway, just saw The most hated Family in America: IN CRISIS. Thanks for posting that link z3r!  That was very interesting.

I'm confused by all the "Video Nasties."  Are those different documentaries?  Something else?  I don't get it.

"Video Nasties" was a list of films which, according to England's Obscene Publications Act of 1959, were deemed by censors to be either too violent, gory or excessive for general release and were thereby banned.  There was a huge uproar in the 80s, when the home video boom hit, because so many of them found their way onto rental shelves.  It actually got to the point where video store owners could be arrested and sentenced to jail for renting out any film on the DPP's (Director of Public Prosecution) Video Nasties list.

Really interesting stuff, once you get into it.

That's right.  So are there a bunch of documentaries on it?  Just one?

Ghostseeker wrote:

Yeah Lon, for whatever reason we just don't get each other.  smile  I can totally see why you thought I meant the sarcasm though when I thought bout it.  I sincerely just meant I wasn't going to debate it, and meant the smiley as my way of saying no big deal and wasn't upset.  Not sure if you have been to any of the WM3 forums, but it is ridiculous on both sides the way people go off and talk to each other.  Not that that isn't common on other forums too.

No, I've never been to a WM3 forum.  I figured such a forum would be chock full of rabid assholes who show up only to flame and troll rather than engage in an honest, civil discussion (as such forums which deal with touchy subjects generally do), so I never bothered. 

I've pretty much followed the case on my own since seeing the PL docs.  But I don't endeavor to discuss it really unless it happens to pop up in a conversation, as it did earlier.

Ghostseeker wrote:

That's right.  So are there a bunch of documentaries on it?  Just one?

Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide and, now, Ban the Sadist Videos, are the only two I'm aware of.  I'm sure there are more, though.

I've been watching the Video nasties: The definitive guide but like Lon said it's REALLY long, but well worth it. I'm half-way through the second part The Final 39. I'll watch the Ban the Sadist doc as soon as I finish this one.

Odd thing about Ban the Sadist Videos.  I watched it last night and when I got to the end it said "coming up in part 2" (or words to that effect).

I didn't know there was a part 2?

^^That's odd. I never saw anything for a part 2 when I found that one. I wonder if it just never happened or what?

I've always subscribed to the notion that if a movie looks too violent and grotesque, I don't have to watch it -- but I don't want that choice taken away from me by someone with no purpose in their mind other than to curry favor by milking popular opinion for their own advancement or sense of self-righteousness.

Uptight pricks.

Couldnt have said it better myself. I mean i get that it is wrong to allow a ten year old to watch, say Cannibal Holocaust but as a grown adult you should have that choice. I mean this is the 21st century we are talking about. People who denounce these films as evil have never watched the whole films anyway so they have no right to judge.
Its like sentencing someone without seeing the entire evidence. I have actually done a presentation on Video Nasties for my Graphic Communication course exploring how it was the suggestively perverse movie titles e.g
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
GESTAPO's LAST ORGY
HUMAN EXPERIMENTs
THE BURNING
SS LOVE CAMP ETC
and video cover artwork that fanned the flames of anti "video nasty" rhetoric rather than the films contents as i found it very interesting as someone studying this subject. I mean what the hell is someone gonna think of "Cannibal Holocaust" if they have never watched a horror film before and see the gruesome cover art (Despite the fact that the content of many of these video nasties did not live up to the gruesome covers and many were actually quite bad films). First you got Cannibal and then Holocaust - I assume many would then think of the extermination of the Jews by the Nazis. The cover art of many video nasties reminds me of examples from 50s monster films - that was sensationalist to persuade people to watch the film, albeit less gruesome and the content certainly didn't live up to it due to Special FX limitations.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-08-21 09:25:46)

Vasquez wrote:

I mean this is the 21st century we are talking about. People who denounce these films as evil have never watched the whole films anyway so they have no right to judge.

This is what I find the funniest thing about the whole early 80s Video Nasties uproar.  The woman who spear-headed the scandal, Mary Whitehouse -- a conservative commentator and endorser of old-school Christian beliefs -- once said during an interview she'd never actually seen a Video Nasty.  When the interviewer asked her how she could condemn a movie she's never seen, her reply was that she didn't have to watch one to know what was in it.

This is the same mentality of those who accused Marilyn Manson and horror movies of being what rotted the brains of the boys who committed the Columbine shootings.  Always quick to blame something with a questionable reputation, but without having the first damn clue about that particular something.

Ridiculous.

The Whistleblower

Amazing film, I can't even begin to imagine the hell these poor girls go through, once again it just shows the lengths some people will go through line their pockets.

You Weren't There: A History of Chicago Punk Rock (1977- 1984)  cool

Teenage Paparazzo

"Human, All Too Human"

Documentary on Friedrich Nietzsche. Fascinating dude. smile

The U.S. Vs. John Lennon.

Good stuff.

Sex In '69: A Sexual Revolution In America

Dario Argento: An Eye For Horror (2000).

Bill Maher "Religulous"

Seen it three times now. Not counting times I put it on for background noise. Highly recommend.

Finished the entire Video Nasties doc.
Ban the Sadist Videos (@Lon I saw the part at the end that said something about part 2, did you ever find anything about that)

Snuff: A Documentary About Killing on Film (Was a rough watch)

Nope, I never found anything further on a part 2 for Ban the Sadist Videos.  Sorry. hmm

Snuff: ADAKOF was the first documentary I'd seen in a long time that actually had me turning my head away from the screen.  Very fascinating doc, but as you said, hard to watch at times.