Re: upcoming films your excited about?

LoudLon wrote:

Children?  I was 36 when I watched it and it even got to me. lol

i cant remember the last movie that scared me sad i mean there are often some that make me uneasy (ie i spit on your grave, last house on the left etc) but those are just for certain scenes that i dont think any normal human being would be able to tolerate without getting squeamish!

^ yea but there is a difference between being scared and grossed out, I'm not a big fan of the saw and hostel type movies cuz it's just too much gore for me, If you can genuinely scare the crap outta me without using a drop of blood I feel you are pretty darn talented.
But I am most looking forward to Red State, Kevin Smith is my favorite director of all time, I have everybook and movie of his, 11-11-11, and PA3..the last ones did a pretty god job of creeping me out so I hope they can really step it up a notch this time.

pinkzombieprincess wrote:

^ yea but there is a difference between being scared and grossed out, I'm not a big fan of the saw and hostel type movies cuz it's just too much gore for me, If you can genuinely scare the crap outta me without using a drop of blood I feel you are pretty darn talented.

Have you seen 'Insidious.'  Not well liked here, but I found it had a nice creepy atmosphere with some nice imagery.  And jump scares.  There were enough spring-loaded cats to fill a kennel.  edit- and no gore.  There may have been some blood during a fight scene.

And welcome to the Asylum.  big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-01 11:07:52)

^^ completely agree!!!!!
too often they go for the gross-out-factor, and there's just no real thought input in those anymore!
i think kevin smith will do a great job with horror, but i've heard a lot of people complain about it being a re-make? i'd never even heard about it until recently, and cant wait to see what hes come up with!

Pink -- I'm also a big fan of Kevin Smith.  I've said 'round here before that, interestingly enough, he's the only director who has yet to make a film I have not enjoyed.  I can't even say that about Kubrick, for Pete's sake. lol

As for Pan's Labyrinth, what makes that movie work so well is the fantasy element, the melodrama and the tremendous pathos.  While there are moments of graphic splatter, it's the story and characters which have the most impact.  It's a fairytale, but while it may concern a child it's very much geared toward a more mature audience.  Great flick, highly recommended.

I loved Insidious..creeped the bee-jesus outta me..When i went to sleep i would close my eyes and see the darth maul demon type thing haha

azathoth wrote:

Have you seen 'Insidious.'  Not well liked here, but I found it had a nice creepy atmosphere with some nice imagery.  And jump scares.  There were enough spring-loaded cats to fill a kennel. 

And welcome to the Asylum.  big_smile

i liked insidious right up until it got down to the "whys" of everything.
my biggest fear is something or someone uninvited in my house, so when the alarm was going off and the front door kept opening, i was quite literally on the edge of my seat. after that it was just a pile of poop!

I should write an article on atmospheric horror movies.  Let's see- Pulse (Japanese version), Session 9, Fear of the Dark, They.  Messengers wasn't bad.

More ideas?

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-01 11:14:20)

LOVED SESSION 9...for me it was one of those movies you find by accident and then you are so freaking glad you did! lol..ummm im trying to think of what else could be atmospheric..dawn of the dead, the mist, Halloween, trick r treat, something wicked this way comes..i dunno there is obv. lots more lol

Something Wicked would be a good one.  I'm trying to keep the list to scary atmosphere with minimal bloodshed (people can die, just no decapitations and such, otherwise Silent Hill would work).  Ghost Story would work if it wasn't so boring.  Hmm, maybe The Tunnel.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-01 11:26:28)

The tunnel for sure..that was a pretty good movie..except i cried at the end thats not supposed to happen in horror lol

oh and what about yellowbrickroad? pretty damn atmospheric if you ask me lol

Last edited by pinkzombieprincess (2011-09-01 11:33:29)

YellowBrickRoad- haven't seen, but from some descriptions looks promising.  I'll look into it.  Thanks.

The tunnel for sure..that was a pretty good movie..except i cried at the end thats not supposed to happen in horror lol

Why not?  The aim of any movie is to entertain (yes, being scared is being entertained) and, if possible, move you.  Stuff can be scary and sad at the same time.

Yea but it was kinda like watching The Passengers with Anne Hathaway..looked so creepy at frist then I spent the last 5 mins balling my eyes out..I am not sure why it is just weird to me to cry during what is suppossed a horror movie..it confuses my brain..lmao

Called adrenalin rush.  Your body gets so hyped up that you can lose control of your emotions.  Of course, they did *spoiler* see their friends just get killed. *end spoiler*

Fog, Sentinel, Changeling.  Thanks Lon.

Atmosphere? Anything by Mario Bava.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Too violent.

Hope you realize I'm reporting you as fast as you post.

azathoth wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

Too violent.

Huh? You must be think of Lamberto Bava LOL...I think Bava's older stuff hints at violence more than really depicting it. He's an amazing cinematographer!

^^
Ooops.

Looking forward to seeing a sudden spew of horror movies at the cinemas now on or coming up close including Apollo 18, A Lonely Place to Die, Red State, Kill List, Troll Hunter, The Thing, Final Dest 5, Suicide Kids, The Women etc

The Rob Zombie - Witch movie if it ever comes out.

Evade , gonna be cool , as the maker ; )

Unaware, Red State (which is d/l right now), Poltergiest remake, 11-11-11, The new addams family movie, blade 4, Cloverfield 2, devils rejects 2, The funhouse, oujia, PA 3, pet sematary, REC 3 and REC genesis, silent hill 2, the women in black, and Zombieland 2! There are more..but that's it for now haha