Topic: Cannibal Holocaust: Shameless Directors Edition

Is this worth getting. I looked it up on Amazon but several reviewers said that due to the fact that 1 animal killing scene amounting to 15 seconds "At 18 minutes - Remove sight of man killing small mammal with a knife. Cut required from 0:18:21 - 0:18:35." was removed from this release version the strong overall impact of the film is lost and it is better to buy a fully uncut version instead. What do you guys think.

The extras on Shameless's version are
x2 Films: 1- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 2- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, 1ST EVER DIRECTOR’S RE-EDIT • x2 Presentations by the director Ruggero Deodato • x2 Exclusive Shameless Programmes: 1- “FILM AND BE DAMNED”: shocking revelations about the film by its participants 2- “THE LONG ROAD BACK FROM HELL”: in-depth reappraisal by leading critics • Theatrical trailer • Shameless trailer park.
^
2 film versions as 1 is a version with no animal killings whatsoever (Directors personal new edit) or the film with just that 1 animal killing removed (BBFC edit)

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-09 19:09:25)

Re: Cannibal Holocaust: Shameless Directors Edition

Not trying to poke a hornet's nest but simply put, if they had to resort to actually killing animals why would I put money into their coffers?

I wouldn't care if it was "authentic" or not...

Vasquez, I want to make clear that I am not attacking you. Just opening up a discussion on that particular topic.

I wish they hadn't killed that turtle in the movie, but given a choice, I would buy the fully uncut version. I do plan on buying an uncut copy too, if I can ever have enough moneys on me when I find it for a good price. What is it with Cannibal Holocaust always being so expensive? But yea, I am totally against killing animals, and wouldn't buy any other movie that would use those tactics. Cannibal Holocaust is just such a notorious film, and everything about it is great, just that one damn scene sucks!

And tarrbot knows whats up, Detroit IS Racoon City!

Before we go off on the animal killing thing again, put those thoughts here-
http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … 16#p275916
An entire thread about animals' torture/death in horror films.

Let's leave this thread to whether the film version is worth getting.

I didn't realize there was already a discussion on it.

Not that it surprises me, mind you. wink

I wasn't trying to get anything started. Just put out a thought process about this topic.

I can get into other issues like this elsewhere if I wanted and not clutter this forum up. smile

Oh, feel free to get stuff stirred up, much fun arises from that.  I was just pointing out a thread where it has been discussed (and can still be discussed, it's not going away), so it would fit better there rather than derailing Vas's thread.

Not trying to stifle what you want to say.

Another thing to consider is despite the fact 1 animal killing is removed the disc comes with some nice extras. Still not sure about it though. Need your opinions.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-04 09:05:56)

Oh, yeah, back on topic, heh.  Sorry, I have not seen this version.

^
I assume you have seen the fully uncut version though.  Recalling your experience of it do you think the removal of even just 1 animal killing would ruin it (specifically "At 18 minutes - Remove sight of man killing small mammal with a knife. Cut required from 0:18:21 - 0:18:35."

Taking out one animal killing?  Nah, it has enough violence that just removing 14 seconds really shouldn't make much of a difference.  There is plenty of viciousness to go around.

Thanx for your opinion, i didn't think it would make a difference but some reviewers on Amazon strongly think so. I was actually thinking of getting the american Grindhouse version, since as you know im planning to get an external DVD drive) but i believe its old and expensive to get hold of now. What kind of extras were on that release. The extras on Shameless's version are

x2 Films: 1st- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST  2nd- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, 1ST EVER DIRECTOR’S RE-EDIT • x2 Presentations by the director Ruggero Deodato • x2 Exclusive Shameless Programmes: 1- “FILM AND BE DAMNED”: shocking revelations about the film by its participants 2- “THE LONG ROAD BACK FROM HELL”: in-depth reappraisal by leading critics • Theatrical trailer • Shameless trailer park

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-04 09:46:43)

^
2 film versions as 1 is a version with no animal killings whatsoever (Directors personal new edit) or the film with just that 1 animal killing removed (BBFC edit)

I'd take a look at it for the extras, but I've no interest in seeing the film itself again.  Gratuitous animal killings aside, I just didn't think it was all that good a movie. 

Beautiful cinematography, though.

At this point I have no idea- I don't even own the film, I have to go off of reading the specs for the various versions.  There is a problem with the Amazon reviews, though- the various versions of a movie will all be put into the review section.  So reviews for "CH original", "CH director's cut", and "CH very messy cut" will all be mixed together, and it's hard to tell them apart a lot of times.  Maybe wait to see if someone else pops in that has this particular version.

^
Yeah i really hate that about amazon. You would have though they would have sorted out the issue by now. Lazy idiots. LOL - makes it especially hard when it seems there 7 different versions or instead different front cover graphics for the same Tartan film on DVD e.g Tales of Two sisters or The Ring on amazon and across other various websites.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-04 10:28:34)

It should have been banned based solely on the fact it was a shitty movie. Boring, horribly acted... shitte.

And I'm positive I read an interview, or saw and interview with the director who said all their budget went into FX, including FAKING the animal deaths. I know it's long rumor that they were real, but I'm positive he said everything was fake/effects.

And real or not, I just watched a show about some UK dude who took 2 years to walk across the Amazon Rainforest, and they showed, full detail, them killing and eating a female turtle. Chopped off the under shell, took out the eggs. Reminded me of the flick. My, how times have changed eh?

^
I thought this was popular and acclaimed movie among horror fans but judging by everyone's comments its utter rubbish! LOL

You haven't seen it, Vasquez?

You're in for a treat.  Arguable "social commentary" (token at best), graphic violence, rape, misoginy, horrendous acting, hacking up animals.  Just a mean, nasty, vulgar flick with no real redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Note, this is just my opinion.  Lord knows I don't want to twist the panties of the movie's legion of fans, who are just as rabid in their support as I am in my condemnation.

^
I have wanted to get a proper dvd version rather than watching it online and since the only UNCUT Region 2 dvd's available before this release were around 30 pounds i didn't bother. Now this is coming out i think i may now buy it to watch and form my own opinion.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-04 17:07:01)

Another thing to consider is Shameless's  awesome Graphic Design on their DVD's/BluRays

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-09 19:07:15)

I freaking love Cannibal Holocaust - animal killings and all  LOL

It surely won't suffer minus one scene, but as a purist I'd be looking for a completely uncut print were it me.  And the turtle scene was not effects, btw.
Deodato has expressed his regret about the animal stuff, but one must take into account that the Italian film-making climate and what was acceptable was different then.
Extremely influential film.

Thx for your opinions.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-09 19:05:18)

I think the movie rocks! As Lon said " it's mean, nasty, vulgar flick with no real redeeming qualities whatsoever." As for seeing the directors shameless version? I haven't, but would like to.

REVISED

Sry guys ill post my question with all the info now. I keep on messing up the question
^
Thanks for your opinion Underdog(I didnt mean you didnt understand the question i just didnt include the specific time of the scene)

What do you other guys of whether this particular version is worth it though. Again
I looked it up on Amazon but several reviewers said that due to the fact that 1 animal killing scene "At 18 minutes - Remove sight of man killing small mammal with a knife. Cut required from 0:18:21 - 0:18:35.", amounting to 15 seconds was removed from this release version the strong overall impact of the film is lost and it is better to buy a fully uncut version instead. What do you guys think.
The extras on Shameless's version are
x2 Films: 1- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 2- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, 1ST EVER DIRECTOR’S RE-EDIT • x2 Presentations by the director Ruggero Deodato • x2 Exclusive Shameless Programmes: 1- “FILM AND BE DAMNED”: shocking revelations about the film by its participants 2- “THE LONG ROAD BACK FROM HELL”: in-depth reappraisal by leading critics • Theatrical trailer • Shameless trailer park.
^
2 film versions as 1 is a version with no animal killings whatsoever (Directors personal new edit) or the film with just that 1 animal killing removed (BBFC edit).

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-09 19:10:48)

Vasquez wrote:

^
I should have said. The scene removed is "At 18 minutes - Remove sight of man killing small mammal with a knife. Cut required from 0:18:21 - 0:18:35."

You know even with cuts it is still a cool film, i currently own the Vipco version which had most animal killing cut except the spider & one other i think but it also cut some of the other stuff, all the BBFC cuts are listed in a book i have called Eaten Alive: Italian Cannibal & Zombie Movies by Jay Slater & this is as the Vipco one.

I would like to know if this new one has the animal stuff cut but not the other stuff but i doubt it if it's Region 2 cause the BBFC don't let rape stuff through ie: I Spit on Your Grave & Last House on the Left without cuts. I
It sounds good for the extras cause mine has zilch.