Topic: That Film(s) Which Got You Into Horror

Another question. Name that film (or films) which got you into Horror.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-06 16:31:59)

Re: That Film(s) Which Got You Into Horror

Halloween (1978) nuff' said.

Nightmare on Em Street!

Dracula
The Wolf Man
Frankenstein
Creature From The Black Lagoon
Godzilla

Started with the classics. I absolutely loved monster movies as a kid. Although these were followed by Friday the 13th, My Bloody Valentine and Evil Dead by the time that I was about 10 or 11 to get me really hooked.

The Exorcist: I had never been scared like that before from watching a movie. After seeing it I was hooked on horror!

Jurassic Park, obviously.

I was a casual genre viewer as a kid, mostly just the Universal classics and Godzilla flicks.  But I spent the weekend at my best friend's house in 9th grade, and he was a massive horror fan, and treated me to a horror movie marathon.  From that weekend on, I was hooked.  I don't remember every movie we watched that weekend but some were:

Terror Train
The Toxic Avenger
Suspiria
Friday the 13th Part 2
Blood Diner
Street Trash
Evil Dead II

And there were several more, though they escape me at the moment.  But I'd say it was those which cemented me as a horror nerd.

It was probably Scooby Doo. But then Dawn of the Dead.

Universal flicks were always a fave, but watching Hammer films in my pre-teen years really got me 'hooked' on the genre.

also The Shining and Salem's Lot left big-time impressions on me as a youngster.
ie: they scared the bejeezus out of me  smile

Alien and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

When I was 6 or 7 I got my dad to rent me the first 4 jaws movies (not all at the same time) because I love sharks and the box cover always intrigued me at the video store.

BUT I would say it officially started when I was 9 I watched I Know What You Did Last Summer with my cousins and their cousins at their cottage and I was hooked (pun?). I fell in love with slashers and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2011-09-07 06:08:03)

Jaws and Independence Day were the first 2 movies that scared me but the first real horror movie i watched was IT..hence my ridiculous fear of clowns lol

growing up my mom didnt see any problem with me watching the friday the 13th series. so when i'd come home from AM kindergarten, when all the other little girls were watching my little pony or whatever the hell it was the other girls watched, id be watching my favorite jasons smile mostly #3 and #4!!!
which would explain my heightened mood when i met kane hodder twice this year - the man is amazing!!!

for me personally it was the original Night Of The Living Dead, and Vincent Price's The Last man On Earth and then I started watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween and the A Nightmare On Elm Streets and Friday the 13th's also always been a big fan of the movies that Stephen King puts out.

I was watching movies on Elvira at a real young age. old B’s and creature features still hold a warm place for me.

The People Under The Stairs, Pet Semetary, Pumpkinhead, Child's Play, IT, the NOES series (especially number 4), and Goosebumps.

Night of the living Dead (1968) - as a kid, I got to stay up late with my brother and watch it on a Saturday night.

I watched Misery for the first time when I was about 7 and the utterly glorious terror I felt when Kathy Bates storms through the door in the middle of the night hooked me there and then. I want to second Goosebumps too though, I used to love that as a kid.

After that I watched NOES and Halloween and never turned back big_smile

I dont remember doing it but my mom said when I was 5 I  would watch Childs Play over and over.....I dont really remember watching that many until I was in the 9th grade (had a strict Christan mom) but when I did start watching them again I watched Hostel and Silent Hill at like 3 in the morning after that I wanted to see any and all horror movies

The Amityville Horror
American Werewolf in London

Those films are the ones i remember best & iwas about 8 or 9 but i also remember seeing the trailer for The Shining on tv & being scared.

Watched Salems Lot when i was about 9. scared the crap out of me for weeks ( kept thinking someone was tapping on my window) ever since then I was hooked. smile

When I was a kid my whole family absolutely loved horror movies. I mean they would always try and watch a good scary movie any night they could, usually on the weekends. So some of the movies which got me into horror were films like Halloween, The Shining, Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Poltergeist. That's all I can really think of right now.

D.Darko wrote:

Watched Salems Lot when i was about 9. scared the crap out of me for weeks ( kept thinking someone was tapping on my window) ever since then I was hooked. smile

It is so odd to me how many of us here had this exact same experience, and list this as one of our most influential movies.  That part of Salem's Lot stood out for years as one of the scariest scenes I had ever seen.  Loved it.

Hammer films were also a huge inspiration.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-10-01 11:33:01)

yup, Hammer gave me an addiction to blood and boobs that continues to this day.  Woot!

also The Exorcist, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Shining, Salem's Lot, The Evil Dead and Dawn and Day of the Dead were all instrumental in cementing this early 'preoccupation' which still pervades  smile