Topic: Marvel Universe VS Wolverine

I know there's a few comic readers out there, so was wondering if anyone is reading this? I found out about it yesterday, and am contemplating picking up the series. Marvel Universe VS Punisher was a fun read, and I hear this takes place before the events in Franks book.

Re: Marvel Universe VS Wolverine

I haven't read this, but sounds pretty good. IWolverine is one of my fav characters in the Marvel Universe. I still read a lot of GN's, but am limited to what's avail at the local libraries (can't afford to buy many w/5 kids). For me what usually makes-or-breaks a comic is the writer.

I've read the first three issues -- and haven't liked a single one of them.

But don't take my word on this series.  I despise the character of Wolverine.  He used to be cool, back in the 80s, when he was just a little bad-ass with a nasty disposition and a healing factor.

But subsequent writers have elevated that "healing factor" to a "can't be killed no matter what you do, even if he's ripped in half by the Hulk" factor.  They've done the same thing with Sabretooth and Deadpool, who are two more characters I hate with every fiber of my being now, but who originally were decent and interesting.

But I digress. lol

Yes, I've read the first three and will be reading the fourth when I get my hands on it, but only because I'm a completist.  I really have no big expectations or even small hopes for the final entry in the story.

Dude, I picked up the issue today and it was an awesome read. I was stoked to see The Punisher and Wolverine team up. There was a badass scene where Wolverine slashes Frank's gun in half and I was not expecting that..definitely worth the read!

Snap, I didn't know Punisher was gonna be in the ish's. Thought maybe a cameo, given its the Marvel U, and those two have a past. If Punisher is in it, then I am definantly buying it. I'm a sucker for Punisher books, I have two long boxes of comics, 98 percent of which are Punisher. I know what your saying Lon about Wolvie and Deadpool, but I can still get down with those characters, because I don't read them much. Wolverine used to be number three on my top 10 favorite list, but with his over saturation and whatnot he got bumped down.

I have an old  "What if" Conan VS Wolverine issue

that kicks ass

^ I remember the " What if" series, and they were pretty cool. If I remember right the stories are set up by, The Watchers?

that would be the mag. if anyone cares Conan won. he almost decaps Wolv (saved by the metal spine) then rides off. when wolv heals his brain had been without oxygen long enough he cant remember anything and is reduced to a feral animal.

swollenguy wrote:

that would be the mag. if anyone cares Conan won. he almost decaps Wolv (saved by the metal spine) then rides off. when wolv heals his brain had been without oxygen long enough he cant remember anything and is reduced to a feral animal.

Yeah Conan is better than Wolverine i think.. There is also a 'what if' involving Conan in the 20th century... apparently he starts a gang or something...

Wolverine is the sh!t how could anyone not like him. Of the four major heroes he's the best. Batman and Spiderman comics are boring. Way to much talking. Also it's only  obvious for characters to keep evolving for a series to continue to grow. Thank god I started reading comics in my twenties because had I started in my teens I wouldn't be reading them now. Nothing personal but the old drawing stles scked.

I wouldn't even consider Wolverine top fifty, let alone four.  The character used to be fascinating and exciting, but writers catering to his fan-base turned him into an over-amped annoyance who has no business winning half the fights the writers have him winning.  Used to love this character back in the day but now I think he's a joke.

I don't really read much new Marvel, my experiences, other than works by Brubaker, have been mostly underwhelming. As I was growing Wolverine was my favourite character, and even now I read some of the older stuff. Like I've said before though I read a lot more DC than I do Marvel.

I do enjoy the older Wolverine stories, more-so than newer stories, but think he still kicks ass. Currently reading: Wolverines Revenge. Great story!

Last edited by Underdog (2013-04-30 19:54:49)

I love the Wolverine origins and  wolverine goes to hell series. X-force with Wolverine as the leader was one of the most epic series of all time. To each his own but Wolverine will always be the sh!t to me. Except in movies I hate all x-men and wolverine movies. Disney needs to get the rights back to that franchise.

I agree about the X-Men movies.  I like Hugh Jackman but I've never been a big fan of him as Wolverine.  Personally I think he'd make a better Bruce Wayne/Batman.  And the only X-Men movie I've really liked so far is X2.  The first was merely okay, the third sucked balls and First Class was two hours worth of  missed opportunities and canon-bungling.  Maybe the upcoming Days of Future Past will be worth something but I'm not getting my hopes up.  But so long as audiences keep making the films successful, Fox will keep pumping them out and they'll never revert back to Marvel.

They could if Disney bought the rights back. I want them and Fantastic Four back. Think of all the great cross over movies they could do. The onslaught saga or maybe even civil war. A man can dream. Back on topic I dont think Wolverine could beat everyone but he could beat half.

A bit off topic, but oh well.

I'm currently re- reading Daredevil stories (1980s) written by frank Miller. Miller, (IMO) is in the top 3 of all time comic writers! Such a great story teller!!

Underdog, the current Daredevil run by Mark Waid is pretty incredible.  Probably one of the best writers of the last decade or so.  Interested to see if he has a hand in developing a new Daredevil movie now that Marvel has the rights back.

As far as Wolverine stories, Weapon X and  Enemy of the State are must reads.  Wolverine: Logan is a very underrated tale by Brian K Vaughn

The last days of wolverine was good too. i just love everything wolverine. Dare devil and deadpool are cool too.

jmh314 wrote:

Underdog, the current Daredevil run by Mark Waid is pretty incredible.  Probably one of the best writers of the last decade or so.  Interested to see if he has a hand in developing a new Daredevil movie now that Marvel has the rights back.

As far as Wolverine stories, Weapon X and  Enemy of the State are must reads.  Wolverine: Logan is a very underrated tale by Brian K Vaughn

Thanks for the heads up.

Underdog wrote:
jmh314 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. I could talk comics all day. Fell back into comics a few years ago when the horror industry started to really decline. Some amazing comics out there, many with great dark themes

I regularly participate in VS matches over on comicbookmovie.com  Very frustrating for purists like me who go by most iconic version of a character when pretty much everyone else votes based on either a character's popularity or one particular interpretation of a character a writer used while ignoring canon.  Like Superman being able to lift 200 quintillion tons, when historically he's typically been shown around the level of an angry Hulk.

And I REALLY FUCKING HATE deluded fanboys who say Batman can beat anyone with prep.  I like Batman but he has to be the single most over-rated character in the history of comic books.

Lon " I like Batman but he has to be the single most over-rated character in the history of comic books."

that hurt like you don't know.  smile

Sorry Undie, just callin' 'em like I see 'em.  hmm

Underdog wrote:

Lon " I like Batman but he has to be the single most over-rated character in the history of comic books."

that hurt like you don't know.  smile

So true man, he's good but never THAT much.

The most underated of them all is definitely Spawn.
The damn dude rocks like no one else does.