Re: Dead Island

Zed_Chuva wrote:

There WILL be gun play, but minimal. There's a video of actual game play, and it REALLY reminds me of Fallout 3. Talk to this guy, talk to that guy, get quests, drive across town to save this person, weapons wear out/take damage... eh, looking more and more like I'll be passing on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDzFzNg0bxk

Ugh, seeing that makes me a whole lot less excited..I don't like the Fallout games at all..but I still want to give this game a go when it comes out but only because I love zombie games..

I picked up Dead Island this morning. Fuckin' lovin' it! I'm a die-hard zombie fanatic, and this game has totally captured my imagination. I've only plunked a few hours on it so far though (the ol' lady playing it also). I can totally see myself losing quite a few hours into this game.

Is it free roaming, like GTA, where you can follow the mission or just go off and do your own thing?

The initial trailer was amazing...but honestly after seeing the gameplay videos a few weeks ago it looks a bit repetitive and boring.

i definitely want to hear more about this game. I might have to go snag a copy just for the purpose of reviewing it.

I'm hoping to have enough cabbage saved up by the end of the month to buy a new Xbox, for two reasons:

1. I miss Left 4 Dead 2 Versus

2. I've been psyched for this game since the second I saw the trailer.

Funny thing is, I just had to cancel my Live account earlier today because they were about to auto-renew my yearly subscription on the 11th, and that would cut into my new Xbox money.

Catch 22, yo.  Catch 22. hmm

Yea I don't have the money right now.. Once the game goes on sale on Steam I'll pick it up on PC though.. It looks pretty damn cool.

Dead Island is a neat game I played a bit last night and some this morning. Unfortunately have not gotten far enough to review it yet but hopefully by tonight.

It has some interesting first person combat options and the controls are good. I am not entirely sure I like the game because I only am about an hour into it but I dont dislike it.

@Goon or myself will review it soon. Of course anyone can submit a review if you have played far enough and think you can.

Im gonna see if Blockbuster has it this morning. Ill let yall know whats up...

It gets better the longer you play it. The first hour isn't it's finest, I may even say it's the worst. The prologue REALLY slowed down, because of the looting aspect of the game. Thats when the game should have delivered some memorable moments. The mission tracking can be buggy, and the NPC's AI leaves much to be desired. All that being said though, very few gripes with this game. The only game I've played as much as this is Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Why is that? Exploration! You can follow the main mission, do one of so many side missions, go try to find some collectables, or just explore your surroundings. I love to just wander and check out the scenery. Stumble upon some grisley scene and fill in the blanks my self, create some of my own random back sotries. I highly suggest all you gamers pick up on this! I hear it's even funner with online co-op (up to four player), but I have yet to jump into that. I tend to beat a game once before I go fuckin' up other peoples games, ha.

i completely agree with @Sw1134 the first hour of the game will tempt you to turn it off. It gets a lot better after that though. I am going to review it today even though I am only a few hours into it.

Sooooooo good I love it! and someone asked if it is free roaming like GTA..yes..yes it is..haha
I agree with it being a bit slow at first, I got bored for a few mins then it picked up and I was sold for life lol if you are a zombie game fan..YOU NEED TO PLAY THIS!

My review of Dead Island. http://www.horror-movies.ca/2011/09/dea … me-review/

Meh wrote:

Amazing review..completely agree with every word..ty smile

smile Tks

Interesting review.

So from what I gather it's at base a cross between the Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead franchises, except you can choose to ignore missions with no penalty.

I do believe I'll be picking this one up...next month, because this month I need to actually buy another Xbox first. lol

a good comparison would in fact be Left 4 Dead meets Dead Rising 2 but it has enough new elements to make it alot of fun.

i can't wait to play this. I am getting rather tired of nazi zombies on black ops, the new maps are waste of money.

Meh wrote:

Great review Meh! Wish I'd read it before I went out and bought Resistance 3 this morning. lol

Nevermind....there's always next month! wink

@LoudLon  Have you thought of picking up a ps3 instead of an xbox? They have dropped right down in price now! wink

Tks @twistedsista . I also thought about buying a PS3 but I already have an xbox and am not sure that PS3 offers enough different games to make it worth it.

That said I have heard that Resistance is pretty damn insane.

"someone asked if it is free roaming like GTA..yes..yes it is"

Thanks for answering. I think that settles it, I'm going to have to get it. I've been hoping for years that Rockstar would put out a zombie edition of GTA. I got the zombie version of Red Dead Revolver, which was fun, but I still want to free roam a zombie infested Liberty City.

Sleazy be sure to read my review smile

Great review Meh, everyone read that review and then run out and buy this game! All you lurkers out there, I'm talkin' at you. I got about 20 some hours sunk into it so far, and I've yet to get bored or angry at this game. I know there's a new game + option, but I'm hoping I can do that run through with a different character. I'm interested to see what I can build on the other three's skill trees.

The closer this game got to release, the less interest I had. Most people I talked to that have played it told me it's nothing other zombie games haven't done before so I'm going to take a pass.

I watched a twenty minute gameplay clip of it not long after the exchange above, and -- not to toot my own horn -- I think I nailed it when I said it was a cross between Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead.

Still, the graphics looked amazing and the gameplay looked smooth and exciting.  I'll definitely be getting it.  Some day...