Topic: Should I drop official Movie Nights?

The Nights are down to about 6 people on average, and I'm not sure if running Halloween Fest is really worthwhile.

I welcome feedback from those who are regulars, but some feedback from those who have dropped in once or twice, or never, would be appreciated.

I don't know if the hours are off, no one is having fun, or whatever.

This sounds silly, but I'm trying to enhance HM's "brand" while having fun.

Give me some ideas that you would like to see to boost the attendance.  It's kind of depressing that fewer people show up each week.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-09 01:32:31)

Re: Should I drop official Movie Nights?

The timing is pretty bad for us who live in Europe. It's basically held on a Friday night, and most people like to go out and socialize on Fridays, and if not, people like to sleep. This is a bit of a problem. Also, the publicity is pretty weak. I think these things should be announced on the front page one or two days in advance.

Aw, keep the movie nights Azzy.

I think last week was just really bad timing. Next week hopefully there will be more people, or at least there should be.

And I agree with stianchrister - if Az could get his movie nights on the homepage that would be EPIC!

Ultimately, Az, I'd say this is your call because you're the one who's doing all the work.  If it doesn't seem like it's worth the effort anymore, I say save yourself the trouble.  I strenuously doubt anyone will think less of you for it.  I know I won't. smile

That said, it also irritates me how people say they'll show up, but don't.  They don't realize how much effort goes into this, so they get your hopes up saying "I'll be there for sure!" and then pull the rug right out from under you when they don't appear.

Or, who knows?  Maybe it really is just a timing issue.  But I can't imagine a better night to have it or a time to start that will maximize attendance potential.

Stian- it's actually Saturday nights, but I do know that it is late for the Europe people.  I've tried every hour from 4PM US Eastern to 10PM US Eastern.  I'm literally trying to cover 8 time zones, and that isn't even factoring in the Aussies.

I think Lon is right, it's the "yeah I'll be there" and then it's a no-show.  And probably because I'm run down from being sick.

As for the main page stuff, that is Meh's realm.  I usually give a 2 week notice for upcoming Movie Nights, and I bump the hell (as does Lon & Puppy, thanks!) out of my announcements.

Yeah, I'll keep running them.  Can't keep a good monkey down.  And besides, the regulars are fun as all get out to hang with for night.  Except Lon, somehow he keeps stealing my socks through the internet.  big_smile

First of all I am sorry I have not been able to join. I have really wanted to since it was first brought up. Unfortunately I am on pac time so late afternoon on sat is hard to pull off. Especially since we both work  the kid is in day care all week, so Saturday days are our only chance for fam quality time. But I was hoping to get a chance to attend and waiting for a time when the wife and kids at the in-laws or something.

That said doing anything (except spanking the monkey) too much can kill it and take away what made it special. Maybe if you scale it back it to once a month etc… it will keep it fresh and fun.

We live near and have season passes for Disney land. There was a time we were going too much and realized we were killing D land for our kid, so now we go less frequently and now he gets excited again.

^^
Swollen, I remember you telling me that it was hard for you to attend.

But you're right about the frequency issue.  During the summer it was good since everyone had more free time.  The fall is busier, so I will be bringing it down a notch.  There's actually only tomorrow and then the 24th before Halloween Fest.  After that, it'll depend on when I recover my wits.  Say 2017?  lol

i am very guilty of not attending but i am going to keep with my valid excuse of I am to damn busy running this god awful site. tongue

that said I would bug @Goon and @Deth_Banger to make an appearance. Or even @moviemaven but i think she was eaten by a pack of rabid bears have not heard from her in awhile.

Oh, don't worry Meh, you got enough goin' on.  Besides, we would mercilessly mince you.  lol  Mavie & Surv keep promising to show up, but they keep themselves rather busy (I get messages all the time, "Darn it, we have this fest to go to" from them), heh.  Deth has actually popped in a few times.

and you know I love them and want to be there and plan on being there for the one thats coming up. and I get upset when I cant be there. I look forward to them all week and then something happens and I cant be there and thats depressing

revengebiteme wrote:

and you know I love them and want to be there and plan on being there for the one thats coming up. and I get upset when I cant be there. I look forward to them all week and then something happens and I cant be there and thats depressing

I know you do Vengy- you always seem to have so much fun when you do get there.  You let me know when you can't or maybe can't show, so we're cool.  big_smile

I will do that love smile  I should be at the next one unless my mom plans something that Im not aware of if things change I will pm you

^^
Invite your mom, the movies tomorrow are a bit.. um, different!  Ha!

I have a wife, kid and a full time job, and as of Monday my wife is unemployed so I can't see me getting to attend any in the near future. Which kinda sucks because its a great thing you do and its great fun listening to you guys joking around and talking horror.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Invite your mom, the movies tomorrow are a bit.. um, different!  Ha!

its so funny that you say that! see a few weeks ago we were talking about movies and she was telling me about this movie that she loves and couldnt think of the name. well when I told her on the 3rd what movie we were watching she got all excited because night of the creeps is the one she had been trying to think of since then she has been trying to get me to watch it lol

I say keep this badboy going! Its unique and bonds us folk closer together. I wish I could attend more, but i always work freaking weekends, so it depends what shifts I have. But, when I'm free, I'll definitely pop in again. You do a damn fine job, Az... For a monkey. smile

i yet again agree with Lon, Bryan. the ball is in your court. you are the one that does all the hard work. for the record i for one do not want to see them end, although i do think a halloween fest may prove difficult. i am sorry i have not attended lately but have had other commitments but  i have enjoyed all the ones i have been on, and i will be back with my "Bollocks" so to speak. as long as you want to carry on with them. i also think the idea of say one or possibly two a month would be better than overkilling it. makes it more appatizing to look forward to.

I think one of the biggest detriments is new people have no idea how to participate.

Speaking as a newb here, I see multiple topics but it's a bit difficult to see how to participate in any of them.

I see a few things here and there about Skype but don't see anything else.

PS. I'm not saying I'm going to be able to participate just that I can see why it's difficult to bring new people in.

tarrbot wrote:

I think one of the biggest detriments is new people have no idea how to participate.

Here is the post for the last Movie Night-
-----------

Can you believe we have hit 11 Nights now?!

For this movie night I have picked two films that I have been wanting to do for a while.  They are funny, quirky, and have some nice horror bits.

Movies:
Night of the Creeps (1986)
The Convent (2000)

Date/Time:
Saturday, August 27th, 6PM US Eastern time.  (11PM Brit time, 3PM US Pacific time)

As usual, we will be using the free Skype.  If you are a first timer, post your Skype name here so I can add you.  If you don't, you may be ignored on Movie Night.  You can also message 'azathoth1945' that night to get my attention; make sure to mention you're from HM.

I will be recording the conversation during the movies to post as podcasts later, so mind your manners.  There will be an intermission between the films so people can go potty, get some food, etc. 

There is normally an Afterparty which may be taped, but only released with everyone's approval, as the Afterpary tends to get a bit saucy.  If anyone has an idea for an Afterparty movie, feel free to post an idea n this thread. 

If you would like to hear some of our previous outings, you can check here. 

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

Both of these movies start strong, have a small lull, and then just go nuts.  Interesting point- both Tom Atkins and Snoop Dogg play cops in these films (one in each).

----------------

I'm not sure how I can make it any clearer.  Get a Skype account, post your Skype name, log on to Skype at the appointed time.  I take care of the rest.

And if you feel like giving it a shot, at 6PM US Eastern time today (Sept. 10th), I'm rerunning the above movies since few people could attend last weekend because I forgot it was a holiday.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-10 08:44:26)

I Love movie night , I wish I lived in America though the late night kills me lol . Azy it's so much fun please keep em going wink   xxx

Don't worry Pupster- I was just a bit down and ranted.  I will probably roll back the frequency of the Nights, though.  It does take a bit of toll on me.  Especially with TECHNO ZOMBIES!