Re: Dead Island

Really, how can people not compare out to dead rising or left 4 dead? Those are the only real zombie games these days. It's like how everyone tries to compare any new zombie comedy to shaun of the dead. We always compare it to most recent successful effort, even if it's an unfair comparison

I have to admit I didn't pay attention and wasn't aware of this game until a week or so ago.

I had the good fortune to watch a long trailer of it at a friend's house.

The trailer got me excited until about halfway through it.

I'm sorry, the graphics looked kinda blah in some respects. Maybe it was because it was on a PS3 that I was watching it. PS3s seem to always look like the graphics have been covered in a layer of dirt. Like the animators used too much Grit and Grime on the bump mapping.

Everything seems like it's awfully washed out and over-saturated. The lighting has issues. Facial animations seem plastic and forced. The fire effects look like something that was sprite based 10 years ago.

That may be a bad perception and I've tried to see some 'good' reviews online for it but they only reinforce my earlier feelings.

Hopefully I will get a better impression when I actually sit down with it.

Last edited by tarrbot (2011-09-09 21:06:00)

Well, that's true.  My comparison stems from the "first person shooter" aspect of the Left 4 Dead series and the mission-based, weapons-crafting aspects of the Dead Rising series.

Too bad it doesn't have the puzzle-solving aspects of the Resident Evil series, then we'd have total amalgamation. lol

I found some walkthrough vids on YouTube I'm gonna check out.  The trailer showed some promise.

^^^ Yeah, I watched a twenty minute gameplay clip earlier after the exchange with Meh.  The graphics look damn good.

^^
Sad thing is my reflexes have got so crappy I can't play the newest games anymore, so I'm regulated to watching "Let's Play" vids.  sad

I do pretty well at "Angry Birds," though!  big_smile

Read the review Meh, I especially liked the description of what happened when a zombie came through your windshield. It sounds great, the only trepidition I have left is that it doesn't sound like there's any firearms. I would really like to open fire on a zombie hoard, is it only melee weapons? I'll probably still get it, but having a gun is half the fun in a zombie game.

sleazydinosaur wrote:

...but having a gun is half the fun in a zombie game.

Wuss.  Real men fight with toothpicks and rubber chickens!  lol

sleazydinosaur wrote:

Read the review Meh, I especially liked the description of what happened when a zombie came through your windshield. It sounds great, the only trepidition I have left is that it doesn't sound like there's any firearms. I would really like to open fire on a zombie hoard, is it only melee weapons? I'll probably still get it, but having a gun is half the fun in a zombie game.

i managed to find a pistol and have a good story to go with it. I was stuck in an old warehouse with very little health, weapons failing and a HUGE zombie up ahead of me. So I pulled out the pistol I had been carrying around for the better part of an hour for 'emergencies only' and fired from about 10 feet at the zombie.

Hit it in the face but not the brain and all I did was make it REALLY mad. You know whats worse then no gun? A gun with 1 bullet and wasting it smile

I also had a molotov which was awesome until I dropped it by accident while running away from a horde of zombies lol

^^^
I find your lack of zombie killing skills disturbing.
Here's a rubber chicken for you.
lol

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-10 08:02:02)

azathoth wrote:

^^^
I find your lack of zombie killing skills disturbing.

Was this done in a Darth Vader voice?

Yep, with swishy lightsaber noises, too!

Surrendered your molotov?  In your moment of triumph???

I just got this a few days ago and just started playing it last night.  Glad I read Meh's review and some of the posts on this thread.  I was kinda disappointed with the beginning of the game, but it seems like that's common.  So...hope it gets better. 

One thing that is frustrating is literally trying to figure out how the controls work.  Directions for things like breaking open doors and fighting off zombies that have jumped on you do not seem to be listed anywhere.  Eventually I figured it out but hope there aren't similar problems.

Graphic are cool and I like that you are open to explore.  Pretty good so far.

Ok...So I am really disappointed with this game.  Very irritated actually.  Most of it is my own fault.  I believed the trailer they had for this game, with the little girl in the hotel getting turned into a Zombie.  Think there was someone jumping out a window.  What the hell did that even have to do with this game?!?!? 

I did not realize this was like GTA with Zombies.  Get a mission, drive around / run around, do the mission then come back and get more missions.  I thought this was more like a story.  So my fault for not checking into it more.  Then, for some of these missions I find hordes of Zombies that are really difficult to beat them all, then I die and go back to one of the bases.

Plus, what is it with all these "friends" coming in the game?  All the sudden there are people running around me with screen names.  Are these supposed to be on-line people playing the game with me?

There are some cool things bout the game.  Great graphics.  Open game for plenty of exploring.  Lots of zombies.  Still...just the concept of runnin around doin stupid missions gets old for me.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-10-15 02:16:25)

I find it has a good gameplay, and the RPG side just makes it worth your money because you can play it for much longer than your average zombie game (a little bit like Dead Rising).

Of course, you may get overwhelmed when you have 25 quests to do and no car to drive (since you smashed every zombie you encountered with a crazy grin on your face). Or you smash all your weapons without thinking and you are left with barely nothing to face those fucking zombies that only takes a single swing a you to make you fly 20 feet backwards.

I find the choice of characters rather useless, or is it maybe because I didn't beat the game (I was level 22 or 23 when I stopped playing).

Anyway, I find that zombie games and movies and such are getting more and more popular, and we may be able to take good advantage of that.

Overall, I liked the game pretty much because I didn't have any expectations about it.

Last edited by Doc_Dracula (2012-01-29 16:11:22)

So...I forced myself to give this one another chance.  One thing I didn't know, that has made a huge difference, is that you can go into quests, choose one, then mark it on the map so it tells you how to get there.  This is much better than looking on the map for the stupid small symbols and trying to figure out how to get there.

Still trying to figure out how to make weapons at the work bench...I may have figured it out.  Still confused on what you need to do to get to the next chapter.

Finally got those dam flares!

I picked this game up (along with Skyrim *aka SkyCrack*,Skate3, Dead Rising2, and Dante's Inferno) recently and when I'm not knee deep in wandering the wilds of Skyrim (seriously that game is crack) I've been running around in Dead Island.

First impression was "Wow, this is a really pretty game" and once I figured out how to shut off the random online players dropping into my game (I don't always want to play with other people) I started enjoying the game more.  I had read a couple reviews of the game and when I had heard it had RPG elements, I knew I wanted to check it out.

I'm currently playing with the lady cop (the only person with firearm skills, despite no fucking guns yet!) and I really like the game. I have a few minor complaints about it (weapons breaking down quickly is one of them) but they are really minor at best.

It's similar to Fallout 3, just not as deep (Fallout 3 was my last Crack like game) and that's not a bad thing. Fallout 3 (like Skyrim) has soooooooo much going on that it's super easy to just get lost and wander the game for hours while not completing any missions at all. This one feels a bit more focused, and while  you can wander around, the game does give you a fairly clear direction of how to get to and from an objective once you've picked it.

Awesome game, extremely pretty graphics, and I think it's bloodier than the Left 4 Dead games (both of which I enjoyed) and this one has more of a story/mayhem aspect to it than L4D did (hacking up Zombies is fucking fun)