Topic: HM's Deadliest Warrior

Recent discussion of the Vampire vs Zombie episode of Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior got me thinking.  How about each week we vote between two horror movie characters to see who is the deadliest?

Here's what I'm thinking:

I'll run the contests for eight months.  We'll call it HM's Deadliest Warrior: Season 1.

Each week I'll post a poll.  Character A vs Character B.  At the end of the week, the character with the most votes wins for that week.  The next week, two more characters will face off.

After the fourth week, each of the four weekly winners will be placed in a four-man free-for-all to decide who is the winner of that month. 

Month four will be the semi-annuals.  All four monthly winners will then face off to determine the semi-final winner.

Four months later, the second semi-final will be held.  The winner of this semi-final will then face the previous semi-finalist in a two-man fight.  Whoever gets the most votes in this final, will be the Season 1 Winner.

Then I'll take four months off, because at some point in time I hope to develop some modicum of a life. lol  Whether or not this idea proves popular will determine future seasons.

THE RULES:

Actually there's only one rule, and that rule is that THIS IS NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST.  Sure Dracula may be cooler than a Critter, but skill vs skill, power vs power, ability vs ability, do you seriously think a Critter would win?  If you do, and vote as such, please take the time to explain why.  Anyone who uses the explanation "because he has a cooler mask" or anything like it, will have their vote rendered null.  Put some thought into your choice, and vote accordingly.

That said, votes should be in accordance to the characters as they appear in film.  When I say "film," I mean "film" -- not the comic book version, or the cartoon version, or the novel version.  And while characters may change from film to film (Jason in Friday part 2 is a lot different from Jason in part 7), we'll be going with the most widely recognized version. 

For instance, Ash is known much more widely as the monster-busting bad-ass from Evil Dead 2 than he is as the cowardly, bumbling fool from the first Evil Dead, so when he appears in a fight, it will be as the bad-ass ED2 version.  Jason is most widely recognized as a super-strong, deformed hillbilly best exemplified in Friday parts III and IV, so that's the version we'll be going by instead of the Zombie Jason from Friday VII or Cyborg Jason from Jason X, etc etc etc.

Now.  What I need from you guys before I get this ball rolling is a list of suggestions.  Who do you want to see fight who?  It can literally be any character who has appeared in a horror film, hero or villain, with the exception of God or the Devil.  Those would be no-brainers, and would therefore drain the fun out of voting.  This includes supporting characters.  Do keep in mind any character's fate in their films; for instance, Evil Ed from Fright Night might be a hoot, but he was killed by a rickety old man with a table leg -- so he probably wouldn't be a very good contender.

Note that at times, there may be fights which seem one-sided.  This will not be intentional on my part, but merely a result of characters voted on from week to week.  So don't be surprised if at some point you see something like Frankenstein's Monster vs Chucky or Rawhead Rex vs Patrick Bateman.

Okay, I think I covered everything.  Just remember that when casting your vote, do so objectively, pitting skill against skill, ability against ability.  Not because you think one is cooler than the other.

I'd like to get this going as soon as tomorrow, so if there aren't any questions (please ask if there are), let's hear some character suggestions. smile

Re: HM's Deadliest Warrior

Great idea Lon.....

First the main three...

Jason, Michael, Freddy

and some of my favorites...

Alien
Pumpkinhead
Jack Torrance
Norman Bates
Pennywise
The Thing
Angela from Sleepaway Camp

A bidet is a water fountain for midgets.

Critters would massacre The Gremlins. Fact.

Killer idea, Lon. I like it.

I'll add some possible contenders -

Annie Wilks (Misery)
Godzilla!!!! (Gojira)
The Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
Leatherface (TCSM)
Pinhead (Hellraiser)
Shark (JAWS)
Damien Thorn (The Omen)
Count Orlock (Nosferatu)
Normon Bates (Psycho)
Hannibal Lector (Silence of the Lambs)

Sounds cool

Hell Yeah! Sounds fun smile

Im in!

I'd like to throw in Mahogany from The Midnight Meat Train. Awesome.

Misleading

I was hopping we were going to hold some forum member death matches.

Well you can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. big_smile

I've been grabbing pics of all the characters mentioned so far.  Keep those suggestions coming. smile

Monkey from 'Phenomena' vs. monkey from 'Monkey Shines.'
Monkeys from 'In the Shadow of Killimanjaro' vs. gorillas from 'Congo.'
Rat monkey from 'Dead Alive' vs. good monkey from 'Anaconda- Blood Orchid.'

Francisco from 'Dellemorte Dellamore' vs. the zombies from "Return of the Living Dead.'
Priest from 'Dead Alive' vs. Rawhead Rex.
Skeletons from 'Army of Darkness' vs. skeletons from 'Jason and the Argonauts.'

This one needs some latitude-
Buckaroo Bonzai, Jack Burton ('Big Trouble in Little China'), and Ash vs. Freddy, Jason & Michael.

edit- feel free to switch any of the above around as you please.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-15 17:35:16)

LoudLon wrote:

Well you can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. big_smile

I've been grabbing pics of all the characters mentioned so far.  Keep those suggestions coming. smile

right hand is full. ( and smells)

azathoth wrote:

Monkey from 'Phenomena' vs. monkey from 'Monkey Shines.'
Monkeys from 'In the Shadow of Killimanjaro' vs. gorillas from 'Congo.'
Rat monkey from 'Dead Alive' vs. good monkey from 'Anaconda- Blood Orchid.'

Francisco from 'Dellemorte Dellamore' vs. the zombies from "Return of the Living Dead.'
Priest from 'Dead Alive' vs. Rawhead Rex.
Skeletons from 'Army of Darkness' vs. skeletons from 'Jason and the Argonauts.'

This one needs some latitude-
Buckaroo Bonzai, Jack Burton ('Big Trouble in Little China'), and Ash vs. Freddy, Jason & Michael.

edit- feel free to switch any of the above around as you please.

The multi-participant ones give me an idea.  I think we'll do those for the occasional exhibition match -- kind of like a Royal Rumble, though voting will be for fun, and won't affect the "main" 1-on-1 polls. 

That's not to say those individual characters won't show up in the 1-on-1s, though. big_smile

@azathoth what about the flying monkey's from The Wizard of Oz?!?!?!?! lol

Last edited by z3r0c00l (2011-09-15 18:30:44)

Victor Crowley -- Hatchet
Pluto -- The Hills Have Eyes
Cropsey -- The Burning
Harry Warden -- My Bloody Valentine
Piranha
C.H.U.D.
Tremors
Cloverfield monster
weresheep -- Black Sheep
R.J. MacReady -- The Thing
Snake Pliskin -- Escape from NY
The Blob
stay puft marshmallow man cool
Cherry Darlin' -- Planet Terror
Buffy
El Wray -- PT
Shaun(of the Dead)
Damien
stuntman Mike
Brundell Fly

Way to think outside of the box, Lon This sounds like great fun and I'm guessing will get a ton of input. " let the games begin."

Last edited by Underdog (2011-09-15 20:03:21)

z3r0c00l wrote:

@azathoth what about the flying monkey's from The Wizard of Oz?!?!?!?! lol

oops!

Even the most bad-ass "human" monster wouldn't stand a chance against the giant monsters which have come up (i.e., Cloverfield monster, Stay-Puft, Godzilla, et al).

Anybody have a problem with them being exhibition matches (votes are for fun, but don't count toward the "main" polls)?

^ sure, or you could always just do a full 4 weeks with only giant monsters such as the mentioned.

Edit: after going over your original post again I could see how this wouldn't work that way...since you will be doing it tournament style.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2011-09-15 20:34:22)

The 4 Ghostbusters stood up against the Stay Puft guy pretty well. I mean I guess they fell over, but they killed the thing.

You could do a separate division just for the giant monsters.  There's enough of them for their own tourney.

How about:
http://pumpkinswirl08.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/phantasm.jpg

Wow, Mr. Rodgers has some shiny balls.

Blade
Chucky
King Kong
Darth Vader

Edit - thought of some more.....

Candyman
Alice (Resident Evil)
The Predator
Cujo
The Wolfman

Last edited by twistedsista (2011-09-16 05:03:41)

Hey Lon I think this is a Great idea!

I do have a suggestion.  Maybe too late for this season, but keep it in mind either way.

If we are talking about a tournament, there wouldn't be tons of characters.  I think each creature / monster / whatever should have a HM Forum regular paired with them.  Then before the fight, each member gets to write a Post for their monster on why they would beat the other. 

Just gives people voting somehting to think about before they vote.  Plus we'd learn something about the history of the character.  I think that would be really cool and not a lot of work.  The person that suggested the character can get that one, or if their were multiple people picking the same character then you just decide based on something.  If there aren't enough people interested in supporting a character, the same HM people can go more than once.  I think that would be fun.  A kinda debate about the history of a character to support why that character would beat the other.

Anyway...just an idea.  Either way I think your idea is super cool.

^^
Good luck getting people to do that.  It's not a bad idea per se, but how many characters are not going to be known by (essentially) everyone on HM?