Topic: Your Favorite Classic Movies?

I couldn't find a thread involving favorite movies, so I figured I'd make one. My list is in no particular order but here they change from time to time and their in no particular order. I'm a fan of classics so I thought I'd list those and if it weren't for my Granfdather and his affinity for movies, then I have a good reason to like the old man. big_smile

Rio Bravo
Night of the Hunter
North By Northwest
Strangers on a Train
Bringing Up Baby
Double Indemity
Red River
Anatomy of a Murder
Ball of Fire
The Searchers
The Pianist
North By Northwest

Re: Your Favorite Classic Movies?

Not sure the exact definition of 'classics', but judging from your list you're probably meaning movies from the 30s-50 that our Grandfathers would like. Usually those kinds of movie aren't my thing, but I will list a few that I do like -

The Great Escape (1963) - One of my favorite movies of all-time
The 39 Steps (1935 - Alfred Hitchcock film)
Nosferatu (1922 original silent movie)
Phantom of the Opera (1925 silent pic.)
The Odd Couple (1968 - maybe this is a little too late in the decade to be put on your 'classic' list - but this is another one of my favs!)

Anatomy of a Murder
Strangers on a Train
The Searchers

The Lost Weekend 1945
It's A Wonderful Life
Sayonara 1957
Cool Hand Luke

The Seven Year Itch

A full list would not only take forever to write, it'd take forever to read. lol  So I'll give my top five instead...

5.  Chinatown -- A tight screenplay by Robert Towne and terrific performances by Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway and John Houston elevate what could have been a seedier-than-most noir thriller into a bona fide work of art.  The plot, while serpentine, is never hard to follow and the climactic showdown in LA's Chinatown is the definition of tragedy.  Great movie.

4.  Superman: The Movie -- the 1978 Richard Donner-directed, Christopher Reeve-starring adaptation of the world-famous comic character showed how truly great a work of comic-book-based fantasy can be.  By taking its subject matter seriously, and by incorporating then-groundbreaking effects and wirework -- and headed by a charmingly tongue-in-cheek lead performance by Christopher Reeve -- this flick still stands as one of the best comic book movies ever made.

3.  Touch of Evil -- the ultimate B-Movie.  Orson Welles as a sputtering, hardboiled detective, Charlton Heston as a Mexican diplomat and the beautiful Janet Leigh tormented by a greaser gang in a seedy Mexican hotel.  And let's not forget Dennis Weaver as the memorably twitchy hotel clerk.

2.  It's a Wonderful Life -- few women have been so lovely as Donna Reed in this flick.  When the young Mary leans to the deaf ear of young George and whispers "George Bailey, I'm gonna love you 'til the day you die" it tugs on my masculine heart strings.

1.  Seven Samurai --  for my money, one of the two or three very best films ever made, period.  This movie literally has it all; great writing, great direction, action, humor, pathos, drama, suspense, excitement and a strong theme of morality, integrity and honor.  Movies rarely -- very, very rarely -- get better than this.

There you go.

Any Akira Kurosawa movie specifically Yojimbo or Seven Samurai, All Alfred Hitchcock movies and 12 Angry Men.  Also a huge fan of The Dirty Dozen and Mutiny on the Bounty

psycho
Harvey

Way to many to name so I'll pick 5 random ones: The Godfather, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, M*A*S*H,  American Graffiti, Frankenstein.

Psycho
A Clockwork Orange
American Graffiti
Dr. Strangelove
Night of the Living Dead
Night of the Hunter
The Bad Seed
The Haunting

What is meant by classics? Like are we specifically talking about Classical Hollywood cinema, as in the Golden Age of Hollywood? I will assume yes...

so here are some from that period that I like...

Frankenstein
The Public Enemy
Scarface: The Shame of a Nation
Freaks
The Wizard of Oz
The Searchers
Citizen Kane
Sullivan's Travels
The Palm Beach Story
Rope
Rebel Without a Cause
Vertigo
Rear Window
North by Northwest
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
The Birds
Shock Corridor

LoudLon wrote:

5.  Chinatown -- A tight screenplay by Robert Towne and terrific performances by Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway and John Houston elevate what could have been a seedier-than-most noir thriller into a bona fide work of art.  The plot, while serpentine, is never hard to follow and the climactic showdown in LA's Chinatown is the definition of tragedy.  Great movie.

you forgot to mention how great Roman Polanski is...

Tripod wrote:

I couldn't find a thread involving favorite movies, so I figured I'd make one. My list is in no particular order but here they change from time to time and their in no particular order. I'm a fan of classics so I thought I'd list those and if it weren't for my Granfdather and his affinity for movies, then I have a good reason to like the old man. big_smile

Rio Bravo
Night of the Hunter
North By Northwest
Strangers on a Train
Bringing Up Baby
Double Indemity
Red River
Anatomy of a Murder
Ball of Fire
The Searchers
The Pianist
North By Northwest

The Pianist?? Wasn't that made fairly recently??

Ms45 wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

I'd never say Polanski is great (the dirty little child molester) but I will say that there once was a time when he was great -- and yes, Chinatown was from that time.

LoudLon wrote:
Ms45 wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

I'd never say Polanski is great (the dirty little child molester) but I will say that there once was a time when he was great -- and yes, Chinatown was from that time.

Then again his wife was brutally murdered by the Manson Family and he is a Holocaust survivor.. Both probably screwed him up a bit..

Yeah, I could see how both those things would make you want to molest a teenager, then hide in France for thirty-some because they don't extradite. 

Dude's trash.  I can watch his pre-kiddie-boner flicks and not feel weird, but anything after '77 and I'll read shit into it. lol

he was probably a pedophile when he made Chinatown too.. just an unconvicted one.. but yeah i know what you mean haha..

with the exception of Pirates, Polanski IMO really has done little wrong:
latter stuff like Frantic is under-rated; Bitter Moon was great; The Ninth Gate is some enjoyable hokum and The Pianist IS a fantastic period piece.  Pedophile or not, the guy is a master when it comes to the language of film.

Yeah i reckon he is a damn fine director... What did you guys think of Fearless Vampire Killers? I didn't really get it, but it's been years since i've seen it and i was thinking of re-watching it...

personally I think it's funny as hell and Sharon Tate never looked more lovely.  good stuff.

Knife In The Water and Macbeth rarely gets props and really, really should, too

I dug Fearless Vampire Killers, though it's been a good twenty or so years since I saw it.  I also liked Frantic quite a bit, and still do, and that actually kind of bothers me. lol

Bitter Moon is a fave of mine - very interesting couples character study

yeah the ones i've seen are:

Repulsion
Fearless Vampire Killers
Rosemary's Baby
Macbeth
Chinatown
Frantic
The Ninth Gate
The Pianist

I wanna watch more.. Knife in the Water sounds pretty good.. I'm also interested in seeing Cul-de-sac and The Tenant...

The Tenant is...weird.  I bought it on DVD a few years back sight unseen and as I sat watching it I didn't know what to make of it.  I kept thinking, "What's the point of this movie?"  The answer I ultimately came up with was, "There isn't one."

Romeo and Juliet (1968 version)