Topic: REM calls it quits.

That's right folks REM announced today they are calling it quits after 31 years.
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx … ;gt1=28102

Re: REM calls it quits.

sad sad sad sad sad

thats a good run

Good music was fun while it lasted.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.  Old band, used to doing things their way, butting heads with the vapid new corporate machine.  Can't say I blame them for throwing up their hands and walking away.  And it's not like they haven't earned a break.

The band may be over, but we'll always have their music.  Think I'll play me some Orange Crush in remembrance.

LoudLon wrote:

The band may be over, but we'll always have their music.  Think I'll play me some Orange Crush in remembrance.

in REMembrance?

Cheeky girl!

Can't believe I missed that... lol

Gotta say, I loved Weird Al's parody song "Spam" which is a parody of Stand. I'm glad Weird Al is still lasting. I guess we'll have to make light to new bands and artists, this is 2011 and I won't be surprised to see whatever pop culture phenomenon happens because it's all the same.

Sucks their quitting, but is it better to fade out than burn away? I don't know if this quite applies to REM. I've been a long time fan. I remember listening to nothing but their album Monster and Weezer's Blue album all throughout sixth grade. They've made a lot of good music in their time and I still have that.

Thanks for making me feel old, MM.  I was way into Monster, too -- which came out when I was 22. lol

Horrible news but it ended on their terms so I guess that they're happy I should be happy.  I've been a R.E.M. fan since about 1993 or 4, whenever Monster came out I got it on cassette.  R.I.P. R.E.M.

I saw them on the Monster tour & they were a great live band, i also loved Monster & New Adventures in Hi-Fi & played them to death. They will be missed.

This came as a total surprise to me.
I thought they split up in the late 90's lol

http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/funny-graphs-rem-everybody-hurts.gif