Topic: Help pick Halloween Fest movies! (Also, Night #12 postponed)

Hiya!

Real quick, I'm postponing Movie Night #12 to the future.  Not sure when, maybe in mid- November or December with some Thanksgiving or Christmas themed films, respectively.

Now, on Saturday, October 1st I and a few others will be convening on Skype to decide which films to "play" during Halloween Fest.  Everyone who wants input is encouraged to show up and voice an opinion.

In case you haven't heard yet, HFest is going to be a Friday-Monday extravaganza, with some changes.  There will be a set schedule so everyone knows when what is on.  2nd, no recording.  3rd, no way I'm there the entire time.  What I'm going to do is set up a convo that let's anyone on my favorites list (i.e. you guys/gals) automatically call and connect to it.  No guarantee if anyone will be there at any specific time.

With a 3 day smorgasbord, obviously the really good films will be prime time on Saturday and Sunday (and maybe a nice start on Friday and finish on Monday night).  This leaves a lot of flexibility for some fringe/fun/wacky stuff the rest of the time.  So besides the standard films, you get a chance to nominate and argue for other stuff!

Hopefully most of the stuff will be on YouTube or somewhere.

Once the schedule is set, I can put up a post where people can say "Hey, I think I'll be there for that" so friends can 'watch' at the same films.

Re: Help pick Halloween Fest movies! (Also, Night #12 postponed)

Sounds amazing, dude. Cool to see you're actually going to set this thing up! big_smile

I'll check into Skype on Oct. 1st to see what's going down, and if I see room for improvement, I'll try to contribute.

I want to go ahead and nominate Halloween '78.  There isn't a more perfect movie to play on Halloween than Halloween. big_smile

I think we can agree off the bat:
Halloween (1 and we have to fit in 3 somewhere)
Nightmare on Elm St.
Friday the 13th (1 or 2, both?)
Hellraiser (1 or 2)

Everything else is up for discussion.  Feel free to post ideas here so we have a starting point for Saturday.

Some possible movies for the H. Fest -

Silver Bullet
Children of the Corn (original)
Horror of Dracula
The Evil Dead 1,2, or Army of Darkness
Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives
Fright Night (original)
The Lost Boys
House of 1000 Corpses

And I concurr with Lon and Azzy, Halloween is a must have on the list!

edit - I would also include halloween 2, right after the original. I think that would be a fitting double feature.

Last edited by The Creature (2011-09-25 14:29:51)

all great movies so far possibly Halloween 4 cause its the best sequel

Good stuff so far.

Let's try to get some more... out there stuff, too.  Like some HG Lewis, Polonia brothers, Fred Olen Ray, Ted V. Mickels (shudder), Albert Pyun, Charles Band, and the like.  Some odd stuff that you wouldn't expect normally.  Having just a "greatest hits" marathon is kind of dull- everyone has seen all of them already. 

I'm not trying to stifle anyone's tastes; I'd like to see you folks exposed to stuff you haven't seen before a dozen times already.

I'm feeling pimptastic today, so I'm bumping my thread.

Some "out there" flicks off the top of my head:

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Blood Diner
Street Trash
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama
Haunting Fear (Fed Olen Ray)
Slumber Part Massacre
Evil Ed

^^
This type stuff.  smile

Hey smile Just jumped on your link. I'll try and make it on Oct 1st but I'm working that night (boo) so if not, I'll try and post my ideas here!

Absolutely love the idea by the way. Obviously Halloween has to be shown, it wouldn't be a fest without it!

What about The Last Horror Movie? I loved that because it was quite different but still really creepy at the same time

Edit to say: You've got my thoughts whirring now, what about May? That was so freaky, I thought it was brilliant. And The Woodchipper Massacre, although I don't know where we'll find that online.

How exactly does it work? Do we all watch our own copies or do we all stream the movies from somewhere?

Last edited by HorrorQueen17 (2011-09-26 15:35:36)

what about some Puppet Master those movies are awesome lol

Demonic Toys
Vamp
Black Sheep
Colin (? Haven't seen this one, but it sounds interesting)
Dead and Buried
Invaders From Marz (Tobe Hooper)
The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper!)
I Bury the Living (not great, but not bad)
Evil Bong

Not all of those are exactly 'obscure' but they're fun.

LoudLon wrote:

Some "out there" flicks off the top of my head:

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Blood Diner
Street Trash
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama
Haunting Fear (Fed Olen Ray)
Slumber Part Massacre
Evil Ed

LOVE Street Trash, and Evil Ed is a fun flick.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

How exactly does it work? Do we all watch our own copies or do we all stream the movies from somewhere?

Everyone is responsible to find their own copy by whatever means they wish.  We toyed with the idea of shared/streaming to everyone, then realized HM could get hammered by the studios/MPAA/etc.

On our normal Movie Nights I'll get everyone settled (no mean feat in itself with this crowd lol ), and we sync the start of the movie.  For Halloween Fest, I'm going to post a schedule for when the movies start- so it's basically jump in whenever and pester people where they are at (trust me, we do that even when we sync films- you should listen to some of the podcasts, oy!) so you are roughly in the same spot.

Just make sure you post your Skype name here or on the Skype name thread.

Oh, and as for working, you should stop in afterwards anyway.  We have a tendency to go on for hours.  I think the record was 5AM US Eastern time after starting at 6PM the previous day.  And I have a feeling the hashing out of the movies may take a while.

Oh, I completely forgot- this Saturday the chat will start around 6PM US Eastern time, as usual.  Don't worry about being late, I'm sure this will take a while.  Especially as we're (OK, I will be) going to have to do research on the fly.

Hi!  I'm a not above whoring my own agenda!  So I would like to invite new folks to come to this Saturday's chat to discuss films they would like to be presented during Halloween Fest!

Unlike politicians, I'm straight to the point.  And very, very sexy*.  Just ask Vampy!**  big_smile***

[*Sexy is a relative term compared to trilobites and various lizards]

[**On 2nd thought, don't ask her, as she'll just laugh at me for the rest of the day]

[***I was at the dentist yesterday so I'm showing off my nice white smile]

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-27 07:55:23)

That all sounds great, I have copies of a lot of films and I'm sure I'll be able to get any we decide on. Haha, I'm sure I'll handle jumping in and pestering people pretty well smile

I've never actually used Skype before (!) but I've just set up an account so I'll jump in if I can after work on Saturday. Sounds like my girlfriend on the phone tongue, taking hours lol.

Thanks for the info mate, I'll get my thinking cap on for the rest of the week and try to come up with more films. I watched Cannibal Holocaust again last night, can I nominate that?

^^
You can nominate anything you want.

Using Skype is rather easy.  Go to Skype.  Download, set up an account (try to keep your Skype name something like your name on HM, if possible).  Post it here or on the other thread.  I'll put you on my list, so you should pop up on my screen when you log on.  If not, you can search for 'azathoth1945' and send me a message on Saturday.

Bump smile XX

Ok, shall put my details in there.

Are we doing video chat or IM stuff? Because I'll be able to do video if I'm on this laptop but if I don't log in from my house I'll be using my Netbook and the webcam on that is something ridiculous like 0.5mp!

we normally use just voice chat and typing hun smile

Cool, that sounds great. Thanks big_smile And I want to un-nominate Cannibal Holocaust. I watched it the other night and I don't think I can stomach it again any time soon!

Video would tax most of members' capabilities way too much.  One guy is lucky if his power stays on (house is like 200 years old) and another is lucky if her 'net connection doesn't drop out every 10 minutes.  And I have no idea how the connection would be with our British friends.

To be honest, 'Cannibal Holocaust' would never have passed the committee; about a year ago there was a huge debate over the film.  But I'm not going to censor anyone's nominations.

Speaking of which, I'm going to create a temporary thread on Saturday to make it easier for everyone who is participating to keep track of the films as we go through them.  Especially when it comes to slotting the movies into times slots.

The monkey brings the bump with the strong hand!
(No, I have no idea what that means)  lol