Re: Best Movies of the year so far... (2011)

I have a pile of movies from this year but haven't really watched any yet except Hall Pass which certainly isn't one of the best, lol.

Top 10 (as of July 23):

1. Tree of Life
2. Hobo With a Shotgun
3. Super 8
4. X-Men First Class
5. Scre4m
6. Drive Angry 3D
7. Midnight In Paris
8. Kaboom
9. Cowboys and Aliens (Granted I have only seen the first hour; It was better than I thought it would be!! I can't wait till the premiere on Wednesday so I can see the rest of it. But the first hour merits it being on the list.)
10. The Ward (which I feel I need to give another chance to)

Last edited by robertthunder (2011-07-23 14:16:00)

1. scre4m
2. Super 8
3. Insidious
4.The Ward

I don't get people obsession with Insidious!! It simply wasn't that great. I thought the story was lacking, the effects were terrible!!!! and with the exception of Rose Byrne the acting wasn't that good either (Which sucks for me to say because I like Patrick Wilson and Lin Shaye). This like most Hollywood horror dribble is mediocre at best. Maybe I'm just sick of films that look like they could be good getting fucked over by the PG-13 rating and directors trying to abide by that.

The effects are a non factor for me. I was just impressed with the imagery and chilling elements that it had. What do you have against Insidious?

It was predictable. There was no element of surprise. It played out like everyother PG-13 piece of shit. Films like Psycho or Poltergeist can get away with whatever rating you want to give it because they are so good they transcend ratings. Films like Insidious are trying to be a certain rating and frankly just don't have anything new to offer the genre. It was boring... And I like most of the people involved with the film so that's hard for me to say. And the effects oh man were they fucking bad!!!

HORRORKID wrote:

The effects are a non factor for me. I was just impressed with the imagery and chilling elements that it had. What do you have against Insidious?

I'm with you. I really dug the atmosphere. That made the movie great for me, I mean, I had higher expectations but I still thought it was a great horror flick. It reminded me a lot of Poltergeist.

Insidious.  Loved it.  Going to watch it again right now.

IckiMikki wrote:
HORRORKID wrote:

I'm with you. I really dug the atmosphere. That made the movie great for me, I mean, I had higher expectations but I still thought it was a great horror flick. It reminded me a lot of Poltergeist.

And Poltergeist is a billion times better!! This is so blown up at this point, I just dont see the appeal here. It felt like another remake (yes it was that boring and bad and uninspired).

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

robertthunder wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:
robertthunder wrote:

The only reason this will be true is because it will be the extended cut. SP was one of the biggest disappointments in years!! The reason because Snyder bent down and sucked the dick of the studio to make it PG-13. Hopefully the extra 18 min will be back to form in the R world. The film could have been so much but shy'd away from everything. If you want to talk about an underrated film that the critics scared people from lets talk about Speed Racer! But SP deserved the harsh criticisms; because the critics and the fans both knew this was some more studio cut bullshit!

I also wish SP woulda been rated R...coulda been pretty bad ass but I couldn't hate it for that...still thought it was original and fun.

See thats one of the problems. It wasn't suposeto be fun. There was touches of sheer brilliance with that ending and It should have been taken even further and to an even darker place. How Snyder announced this at comic-con was a balls to the wall adventure unlike anything you have ever seen. He promised a dark R rated film not a light hearted fun PG-13 washed down studio cut!

Another reason SP does not get the credit it deserves, is because IMO it is misunderstood.  Most of the reviews written by critics believe that the movie is suppose to be about "empowering" women.  For those that have not seen the movie, then stop reading.  IMO, the movie is about the oppression of women.  For example, the girls were skimpy outfits, are imprisoned to perform sexual shows for men, and sometimes even sleep with them.

robertthunder wrote:
Zed_Chuva wrote:

Sucker Punch would be my fave flick of the year overall so far. SO underrated. The critics scared people away with their closed minded assery, and once it hits DVD, people will kick themselves for not seeing it earlier.

The only reason this will be true is because it will be the extended cut. SP was one of the biggest disappointments in years!! The reason because Snyder bent down and sucked the dick of the studio to make it PG-13. Hopefully the extra 18 min will be back to form in the R world. The film could have been so much but shy'd away from everything. If you want to talk about an underrated film that the critics scared people from lets talk about Speed Racer! But SP deserved the harsh criticisms; because the critics and the fans both knew this was some more studio cut bullshit!

I could be wrong, but the majority of the 18 minutes, will consist of dance numbers not seen in the original movie.  In fact, one of the dance numbers can be seen in the ending credits.  Now how much of the 18 minutes this will take up, I do not know.

jmccully61 wrote:
robertthunder wrote:
Zed_Chuva wrote:

Sucker Punch would be my fave flick of the year overall so far. SO underrated. The critics scared people away with their closed minded assery, and once it hits DVD, people will kick themselves for not seeing it earlier.

I could be wrong, but the majority of the 18 minutes, will consist of dance numbers not seen in the original movie.  In fact, one of the dance numbers can be seen in the ending credits.  Now how much of the 18 minutes this will take up, I do not know.

**SPOILERS**
There is the musical sequence that only takes up maybe 4 min. The biggest thing is the sexual scene with Jon Hamm and Babydoll. And there is more violence. I think the directors cut has a better feel to it and feels like a more complete film but even after seeing the DC I don't think it that great still!! Snyder had so much he could do and just pussied out of doing any of it!!

Top 10 (as of August 18):

1. Red State
2. Tree of Life
3. Hobo With a Shotgun
4. Super 8
5. American:The Bill Hicks Story
6. X-Men First Class
7. Scre4m
8. Drive Angry 3D
9. Another Earth
10. Kaboom

damn i seen so many

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-22 19:23:47)

Top 10 (as of September 19):

1. Red State
2. Tree of Life
3. Hobo With a Shotgun
4. Drive
5. Super 8
6. American:The Bill Hicks Story
7. Contagion
8. X-Men First Class
9. Scre4m
10. Drive Angry 3D

I gotta say there have been several films this year that have totally reignited my passion for Horror films. Top Horror and mainstream films i can think of as of now.

1. Hobo
2. I Saw the Devil
3. ISOYG remake
4. Mothers day remake
5. City of Life and Death
6. Stake Land
7. Troll Hunter

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-09-26 18:32:34)

Vasquez wrote:

I gotta say there have been several films this year that have totally reignite my passion for Horror films. Top films i can think of as of now.

1. Hobo
2. I Saw the Devil
3. ISOYG remake
4. Mothers day remake
5. City of Life and Death
6. Stake Land
7. Troll Hunter

City of Life and Death is brilliant!! (But not out this year... Neither was ISOYG!!)

Is this limited just to horror?  If so, I haven't seen many I really, really enjoyed this year.  At least, none that are coming to me.  Some non-horror flicks I think are worth checking out:

Horrible Bosses -- this flick is FUNNY.  I laughed outloud frequently throughout and am kinda crushing on Jennifer Aniston now.

I Saw the Devil -- wow, what a great flick.  Brutal as hell and even moving. 

Captain America: The First Avenger -- best superhero flick of the year, and IMO the best superhero flick since the first Iron Man

The Whistleblower -- very good flick, but it will piss you off.  Nevertheless, recommended.

Another Earth -- a deeply philosophical and meditative flick.  If you like an intelligently told story, check it out.

The Interrupters -- VERY good documentary about ex-convicts who walk the streets of Chicago hoping to educate young gang members.  The ex-convicts AND the documentary crew find themselves in some pretty hairy situations, and when you see this flick you'll compliment both their intent and their bravery.  Gut-wrenching parts, but a fantastic documentary on urban warfare.

No this is top 10 everything of the year!! My list is def not just horror!!

Top 10 (as of October 2):

1. Sleeping Beauty
2. Red State
3. Tree of Life
4. Hobo With a Shotgun
5. Drive
6. Super 8
7. The Skin I Live In
8. American:The Bill Hicks Story
9. Restless
10. Moneyball

The only ones I've seen-

Insidious- really liked; finally an atmospheric film
X-Men 1st Class- good
Harry Potter- nice
(Was 'Grave Encounters' this year?- also liked, except for the damn girl screaming!!!!!!!)

azathoth wrote:

Was 'Grave Encounters' this year?

Yes it was!

Top 10 (as of November 8):

1. Sleeping Beauty
2. Red State
3. Pearl Jam 20
4. Tree of Life
5. Hobo With a Shotgun
6. Drive
7. Super 8
8. The Skin I Live In
9. Moneyball
10. American:The Bill Hicks Story

I enjoyed
Grave Encounters
Insidious
Contagion

I also liked
Fast Five
Harry Potter and The Deathy Hallows
Bridesmaids