Topic: What are some good horror movies to get for Blu Ray for the first time

Not interested in getting the Halloween movies since I still have the originals for VHS and Halloween Resurrection and Rob Zombie's Halloween and John Carpenter's Hallowen for DVD.

Any obscure horror movies that were known that showed up in theaters but noone ever talks about anymore that I should get for Blu Ray?

Re: What are some good horror movies to get for Blu Ray for the first time

Night of the Creeps has a nice Blu-ray release.  Only horror I have on Blu-ray so far.  edit- sorry, also have Drag Me to Hell, but that's not obscure.
I have a bunch of non-horror Blu-rays.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-09-28 22:56:50)

Any different between the Special anniversary edition DVD of Night of the Creeps and the Blu Ray for the movie?

or does the Blu Ray of Night of the Creeps have more extra bonus features?

I don't have the anniversary edition, so I had to look that up.  It appears that both discs have the same bonus features.  The only difference I could find was that the B-R was 2 minutes longer than the DVD (I think due to the different ending).  But both discs have both endings, so....

Here is a fairly comprehensive review I found about the B-R version.

Hope that helps some.

My very first Blu Ray was the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre and I was so shocked at how beautiful the picture quality was

The Dorm That Dripped Blood, though it doesn't look great, but better than any previous releases and it is uncut.
The Monster Squad, not really horror, but it looks great, though it is not all that obscure.

New guy here.

Here's a few of my favorite, smaller horror films on BD (obscure is a matter of judgement):

THE DESCENT was a real pleasant surprise. It was the first horror movie in a few decades that made me jump.

SANTA SANGRE for the very open minded.

PLAGUE TOWN is an extremely creepy experience. I'm not thrilled with the ultimate resolution of the story but it was great trip.

THE RUINS. A fairly original flick.

SPLINTER. Straight forward horror. Good stuff.

VAMP is another fun ride.

BURIAL GROUND. Bizarre and Italian...need I say more?

MIMIC. First class monster stuff...with native dances choreographed by the director of HAIRSPRAY (I'm serious).

Last edited by Dex Robinson (2011-10-08 17:21:16)

Hi Dex!  I will be your resident monkey. (oops, forgot I changed my avatar.  It's normally a monkey, but it's Bob the Skull for Halloween)  Fell free to ignore me, everyone else thinks I'm nuts.  lol

Stop by the 'Introduce Yourself' thread to say hi.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-08 17:31:45)

Santa Sangre's on bluray?  nice.  smile

deadhorse13 wrote:

Santa Sangre's on bluray?  nice.  smile

Yep...from Severin films via MPI.

And it has a boatload of extras: Making of featurette, Commentary with Jodorowsky, Deleted scenes with commentary, UK documentary about Jodorowsky, Documentary about the inspiration for the movie....well just a lot of stuff.