Re: POLL: Deadliest Horror Movie Warrior, ROUND 3

I forget, how many total characters are you using?

Actually, after editing the schedule I had made up to include Djinn (I had one fight I thought was lopsided, but Wishmaster cleared it up lol ), I have a total of 104 characters involved. 

That includes all characters in regular tournament rounds, plus all characters who appear in exhibition matches.  FYI, exhibition matches will feature at least one character against another, though most are two-on-two, and I have one that's three-on-three.

Oh, incidentally, as this vote stands right now it's 7 for Jack (eight, minus my vote so I could see the results) and 1 for Norman (GhostSeeker's, as he inadvertently voted Jack by mistake).

Jack ... of course!

LoudLon wrote:

Actually, after editing the schedule I had made up to include Djinn (I had one fight I thought was lopsided, but Wishmaster cleared it up lol ), I have a total of 104 characters involved. 

That includes all characters in regular tournament rounds, plus all characters who appear in exhibition matches.  FYI, exhibition matches will feature at least one character against another, though most are two-on-two, and I have one that's three-on-three.

Oh, incidentally, as this vote stands right now it's 7 for Jack (eight, minus my vote so I could see the results) and 1 for Norman (GhostSeeker's, as he inadvertently voted Jack by mistake).

Hmm, I was going to do a graphic bracket-like thing (like they have for the NCAA basketball tourney), but with your pics instead of just names. I may have to rethink how to do that with that many characters.  Time to fire up Visio.

^ I thought about the bracket approach, myself.  As is, I just have the schedule as a text document.

Y'know, if you'd like, I can email you a PDF of the tournie schedule -- if you don't mind the surprises being ruined for you.  I've been thinking of getting someone as a back up in case I'm unable to post a new match for one reason or another. lol

LoudLon wrote:

^ I thought about the bracket approach, myself.  As is, I just have the fight broken down to single lines.

Y'know, if you'd like, I can email you a PDF of the tournie schedule -- if you don't mind the surprises being ruined for you.  I've been thinking of getting someone as a back up in case I'm unable to post a new match for one reason or another. lol

You can do that, I won't leak any secrets; I just leak in general, usually in all the wrong places. big_smile

Knowing the matches won't ruin it for me, and it'll give me an idea of how to start laying out the graphic.  (I can just use the pics you've already posted as place holders for upcoming matches)

I can be your backup man.  When the hell am I not here?  (Hospitals aside)

Right-o.  I'll PDF it up and you'll have it directly.

Edit: Emailed it. smile

Got it the file.  Very nice.  I think I'll have to break it up into sections rather than one huge graphic (though at the end I may paste them all together for a poster-worth pic).

People will be pleased.  [edit- with you setup I mean, not any of my fancy pics]

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-03 00:47:11)

Monkeys like to bump threads.

This week's voting is officially over.  The results:

Jack Torrance
7 votes: (9 total, minus 2 -- one for me so I could view the results, and one for GhostSeeker's mistake vote -- all 7 were "explained")
7 x 5 points = 35 total points

Norman Bates
3 votes (2, plus GhostSeeker's moved over from Jack), all explained
3 x 5 points = 15 points

This week's winner: JACK TORRANCE

Thanks to everyone who participated.  Round 4 will be up directly. smile

Now that we're three months into these matches I figured it's cool if I go back over previous weeks and add in my own two cents.  Here's how I'd break this one down:

Torrance is a raving lunatic with an axe.  Very dangerous, yes -- but it's the "raving" part which does him in.  He doesn't think clearly.  He has one speed: full on, leaving very little time to think about his actions or plan a course ahead of time.  His ineffectiveness as a killer is witnessed by the fact that he has a body count of ONE -- and that victim was a frail old man he pretty much sucker punched (or should I say sucker hacked?).  It took him ten minutes to chop through a single bathroom door, and was outsmarted by a boy.   

Norman Bates on the other hand, despite his insanity, is nevertheless calculating and devious.  His attacks are typically quick and precise and come from out of nowhere when you least expect them, be it in a shower, on a toilet or having tea at his dinner table.  As a serial killer he is a genuine threat because you never see him coming -- or his mother.  Just ask any of his numerous victims.

As far as weaponry, an axe is a heavy thing to wield in a fight.  It takes strength to rear back and deliver a swing with any kind of speed, whereas Norman's butcher knife is light, sharp and precise.  As Jack raises his axe overhead, Norman slices his throat wide open and then neurotically chews sunflower seeds as Torrance bleeds out on the floor.

My take: Norman wins

And this one reminds me I'm supposed to be putting together a graphic bracket pic together.   <types it into his to do list>