Topic: POLL: Deadliest Horror Movie Warrior, Round 4

This week's match-up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/HMs%20Deadliest%20Warrior/Thing.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/HMs%20Deadliest%20Warrior/VS.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/HMs%20Deadliest%20Warrior/Blob.jpg

This should be a good one. smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before voting, please remember THE RULES:

1. Vote objectively for who you think is deadlier.  This is not a popularity contest.

2. Please be sure to comment below to explain why you came to your decision.  Those who do so, your votes will count as FIVE VOTES. 

Those who do not, or those whose explanations are in regards to the character's popularity rather than an objective comparing of the character's abilities (see rule #1), your vote will only count as ONE VOTE.

3. Voting will be open for seven days, at which time I'll post the results.

Have fun, and vote responsibly. smile

Re: POLL: Deadliest Horror Movie Warrior, Round 4

man, it's times like these I wish there were a cinematic representation of 'The Heap'.
Just sayin.  LOL

Being that these two monsters weakness' are sub-zero temperatures, I see this match up taking place in a desolate barren desert. And, some where that has wide open terrain, but also some kind of facility? A secret military base...yea that's it!

The Thing: After being experimented on by the government for 5 yrs, The Thing, found a way to escape from it's holding cell. It didn't take long to do what it does best: Replicate & kill!! Taking down the entire staff of scientists and soldiers in the facility. A squad of elite Black-Ops were sent in to destroy, the Thing. To no avail! The Thing sought refuge in the facility and waited it out. Patience is a virtue. Not to mention easy for, The Thing.

A yr passes

The Blob: In the small desert town of Victory a comet crash lands just outside the town. Four teens (go figure) who are partying in the desert see the comet crash land and decide to investigate. Finding the comet, one of the drunken teens gets a brilliant idea: Take a closer look at the fragmented, smoking comet, embedded in a 10' crater. Inside the broken comet appears to be some kind of oozing, slimy plasma...or some shit. The teen reaches out and touches the comet. Immediately he's burned (DUH!) Pissed off, he then kicks at the comet. Huge mistake!! The slime from the comet gets on his boot and takes hold. He reaches out and tries to wipe the slime from his foot. Another Huge mistake! The slime begins to work his way up his mid section, eventually engulfing the entire body. Seeing this, the other three teens book ass back to town in their Jeep. The police are contacted and a search party is organized. The Blob, after digesting it's first victim, is still hungry. It seeks out more food. Finding the military base, The Blob enters...

An hour passes

Awakened by strange noises, and as a possible threat, The Thing awakens from it's slumber. Meanwhile: The Blob's insatiable appetite needs quenching. Searching for another victim to give it strength. The Blob wanders the vast interior of the facility. The Thing's primal instincts senses a possible threat to it's survival. Thus the hunt begins. A show down is inevitable! Death inescapable!

Hungry as hell, The Blob has been searching the vacated rooms and halls of the facility for a bite to eat. A victim to engulf and digest. Weakening by the minute from the lack of food. The Blob's search is becoming fruitless," Finally," it senses something...something strange, like nothing it has ever sensed before. Something totally foreign. Never the less, a meal, foreign or not, is necessary. Suddenly The Blob stops! A split second later. From the ceiling above, drops, The Thing. The Blob immediately responds! Engulfing The Thing that has attacked it. It's feeding time! The Blob has it's victim wrapped in it's oozing slime. The Blob slowly begins to digest it's meal. Sounds simple? It always used to be! Not this time though!! The Thing is not of this Earth. It's composition can not be broken down. Even by The Blob. The Thing's alien structure is poison to it's enemy. Too late! The Blob explodes into fragmented spatter. Too fragmented to reconstruct. Oblivious to what has happened, other than it being attacked. The Thing makes it's way back to it's place of hiding. To again wait for another victim to replicate, and decimate. Time is on it's side...patience is a virtue....

Winner by necessity: The Thing.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-10-07 21:51:27)

Lon, I actually have 2 opinions for you here; Vampy chimed in on this one. (!)

Her take-
The Blob has the ability to absorb and neutralize any biological organism.  She believes that the Blob's systems will overwhelm The Thing's ability to adapt and take over other cells.  Basically, putting a blanket over a fire, smothering it.  She made the point "Does the Blob even have any cellular structure to replicate?"  Not bad horror thinking for a woman.  lol   
(I put that in there just to show her later, so the HM ladies need not be offended. big_smile  )

My take-
I think that as a spacefaring species, The Thing has encountered various lifeforms over the species' history, and have adapted to a variety of whacky biology.  I think that the Blob is just an accidental event, not planned, and it is a less evolved organism.  Therefore, I think that The Thing has an evolutionary advantage and will be able to overwhelm any defense the Blob has.  So The Thing does it's 'thing' (ha!) and takes over the Blob.  And then all kinds of hell breaks loose.

So, in summary:
1 Vote Blob - Vampy
1 Vote The Thing - Monkey

For the record, I voted in the poll for The Thing (hey, I'm the one typing this).  If you remember, you can add 1 poll vote for the Blob from Vampy.

(side note- was quite the fun conversation with Vamps about this.  Mostly she just gives me 'the eye' when I talk about odd aspects of horror.  (Then I follow her around, still talking, until she throws something at me.  We have a fun marriage. lol )

Oh, WonderDog, you may want to think about stringing your Versus fights into one long story.  Something Mortal Kombat like, where all these people/things get dumped on Earth to battle for.... um..... a pony?  Pretty trophy?  Hot wings and pizza?

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-08 13:25:47)

^ Thanks for the tip, Aza! Not sure exactly what you mean though? ( An example would be cool) I'm not as skilled at writing like some of you here. So I appreciate any/all tips. I've really enjoyed letting loose on these vs battles. Many thanks to, Lon!

Underdog wrote:

^ Thanks for the tip, Aza! Not sure exactly what you mean though? ( An example would be cool) I'm not as skilled at writing like some of you here. So I appreciate any/all tips. I've really enjoyed letting loose on these vs battles. Many thanks to, Lon!

You write some wrapper story- aliens visit the Earth and bring to life all these fictional characters, or a wizard zaps all the characters into an alternate dimension ('Last Action Hero,' anyone?).  Something like that.

Then you have each of the fights as a chapter (which you have already written).  You may need some connecting ideas between chapters, especially when you get to the 2nd and later rounds.  Your Versus fights are at least a page each, and trust me, Lon has a long list of fights to go (you have no idea how hard it was to keep my mouth shut about this one lol  ).

Obviously there would be some massaging need to be done, but the fights are at least 80% of the volume.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-08 14:04:39)

My vote is for The Thing. The Thing will be able to replicate the Blob and consume
It.

azathoth-" the fights are at least 80% of the volume."
By jove I think I get it! Muchas gracias mi amigo!!

With some of the other threads I didn't want to over kill with the writing. These vs battles have give me the chance to write longer responses.

* Hope I'm not boring everyone or taking up too much space? If so let me know and I will minimize, and will not take it personal either.*

^^
Are you kidding, I love your battle stories!  That's why I suggested turning them into a full story.  big_smile

Bump bump

I don’t think anyone paid attention to rule 1.
The Thing only imitates which makes it a danger to thinking life forms like us. The blob’s growth and ability to consume organic matter makes it potentially planet consuming. Its only weakness is extreme cold which holds true for Thing as well so no advantage there.

So since the blob is a non thinking all consuming amoeba like entity the Thing would have no use of its blending-in ability. And if the blob is potentially all consuming then manao a mano the blob takes it. the only way the Thing would win is by changing its self into a tool using creature and freezing the blob with something or containing it or casting it into space, but not by straight fist to cuffs.

I give it to the blob

Last edited by swollenguy (2011-10-10 16:32:50)

^^^
Only imitates?  I didn't realize that dogs commonly had whipping thingies come out of their backs.  Of a human chest with big chompy jaws.  Or a head that becomes a spider.  Or a human that has a big-assed claw hand.  Or a huge ass conglomerate thing at the end.  The Thing can imitate, but it seems it has the ability to do a few other things.  Like use it's own intelligence to mold the organic material to do its bidding.

And I'm kind of offended that you implied that I was playing a favorite.  I thought I wrote a balanced review of the fight.

Hmmph!  tongue

edit- especially since I included Vampy's take.  I was under no compulsion to put her thoughts in.  (double tongue tongue  )

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-10 16:55:13)

azathoth wrote:

^^^
Only imitates?  I didn't realize that dogs commonly had whipping thingies come out of their backs.  Of a human chest with big chompy jaws.  Or a head that becomes a spider.  Or a human that has a big-assed claw hand.  Or a huge ass conglomerate thing at the end.  The Thing can imitate, but it seems it has the ability to do a few other things.  Like use it's own intelligence to mold the organic material to do its bidding.

And I'm kind of offended that you implied that I was playing a favorite.  I thought I wrote a balanced review of the fight.

Hmmph!

edit- especially since I included Vampy's take.  I was under no compulsion to put her thoughts in.

Imitating and contorting mechanical features is one thing. But the Thing has never showed an absorbing/consuming ability like the blob and or size potential. Theatrically the blob could consume entire continents. Also it is in question if the blob can even be destroyed like the thing it freezes and like the Thing once defrosted its back at it, but nothing else has much affect. You can wound and torch the Thing.

Last edited by swollenguy (2011-10-10 16:55:53)

Figures you posted while I was 2nd editing my post.

Oh well, we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-10 16:57:41)

azathoth wrote:

Oh well, you are a amazing and sensual being.

Thanks AZ

swollenguy wrote:
azathoth wrote:

Oh well, you are a amazing and sensual being.

Thanks AZ

I always give credit were credit is due!  lol
Punk.

edit- Oh, did you ever read my review of your story on the "What R U Reading" thread?

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-10 17:59:11)

swollenguy wrote:

I don’t think anyone paid attention to rule 1.
The Thing only imitates which makes it a danger to thinking life forms like us. The blob’s growth and ability to consume organic matter makes it potentially planet consuming. Its only weakness is extreme cold which holds true for Thing as well so no advantage there.

So since the blob is a non thinking all consuming amoeba like entity the Thing would have no use of its blending-in ability. And if the blob is potentially all consuming then manao a mano the blob takes it. the only way the Thing would win is by changing its self into a tool using creature and freezing the blob with something or containing it or casting it into space, but not by straight fist to cuffs.

I give it to the blob

I have to agree with swollen...im a huge fan of the thing but I can't imagine it winning this battle. The thing will ultimately be consumed by the blob. I don't believe that the thing could emulate the blob, and if thething thing has nothing to emulate then what is the thing even? Really?

ChainSaW80 wrote:

I have to agree with AZ that Swollen is a amazing and sensual being

You guys are the best.

Ok...some sanity came to the debate with Swollen and Chainsaw.  Blob would destroy the thing. 

Here it goes, Thing is all cocky and attacks Blob.  Blob consumes Thing.  Thing realizes this is not a simple  animal or person, and cannot mimic Blob.  Blob toys with Thing for a while, slowly degrading Thing over many centuries (yummy).  Blob considers napping in a freezer - Then thinks, of wait, I'll freeze and die, so he skips that.  Luckily for Blob, Thing has no way to get Blob frozen, cuz Thing is SLOWLY GETTING EATEN!

This one is hands down, no contest, Blob knocks Thing's azz out!

Underdog wrote:

I'm not as skilled at writing like some of you here. So I appreciate any/all tips. I've really enjoyed letting loose on these vs battles.

I've enjoyed reading about your battles, and you got some talent.  smile

azathoth wrote:

For the record, I voted in the poll for The Thing (hey, I'm the one typing this).  If you remember, you can add 1 poll vote for the Blob from Vampy.

Did Vampy's vote get counted?  We have four votes for Blob, but only 3 show.  Or, is that added at the end with a no show type vote?

Ghostseeker wrote:
azathoth wrote:

Did Vampy's vote get counted?  We have four votes for Blob, but only 3 show.  Or, is that added at the end with a no show type vote?

She just voted in the poll, but for some reason HM wouldn't let her type a response here.  Kept asking the spam bot questions.  ?

But the poll is now correct.

Which means we're tied 4 to 4.  The fifth vote for the Thing is mine so I could see the voting results, and doesn't count.

Told you guys this would be a good one. big_smile

Ghostseeker wrote:
Underdog wrote:

I'm not as skilled at writing like some of you here. So I appreciate any/all tips. I've really enjoyed letting loose on these vs battles.

I've enjoyed reading about your battles, and you got some talent.  smile

Thank you Ghost, I appreciate that!!

would be pretty cool if underdog or someone wrote up a final battle after the results are final. Would be like the show deadliest worrior.