Topic: What Games Have You Liked That Actually Scared You?

Last year, around this time, in preparation for Halloween I ordered a bunch of dark games.  Got a deal on Amazon and paid 4-$5 for three of em, and plus got Arkham Asylum for full price.

Generally, I take some extra time off around Halloween.  Like to watch scary movies and play scary games with the Halloween decorations up.  In the dark with the Halloween lights on or flashing, my Haunted Houses / ship collection glowing and playing their eerie noises.  Window open, with the cool fall breeze blowin through the house.  My homemade scarecrows right outside the window, lit up by the lights in the yard, cuz it gets dark so early around that time.  So, you get the atmosphere I like for these games.

Question is, as the topic suggested, what are good scary games (preferably for 360) that also scared you?

Mine are easy:

#1 The Suffering for the original Xbox.  This game freaked me out.  Specially the parts where you could hear things running but not see them in the dark.  Plus it was just a cool game, fun game.  Very underrated...you just don't hear about this game.

#2 DOOM 3.  Ok, this game freaked me out more than any other.  Horrible noises.  Then you'd walk by and something would scream and jump out at you.  However, did not like the game that great.  Was strictly a 1st person shooter.  Just run around shooting things, not much else to do.

3# Dark Sector.  This game is AWESOME.  Especially cuz this was one of the $5 games.  Now, not really scary.  A couple anxious parts when it was dark and the zombie / monster things would come after you.  Overall though, this was a really fun game.

There are a bunch of others, Jericho, Manhunter (I think), some were fun, but none got me as excited as the ones above, so just picked 3 to write about.

So again...What games that you have liked have also scared you?  I'd like to get some recommendations for some new games for Halloween this year!

Re: What Games Have You Liked That Actually Scared You?

I never had any games freak me out until I got my 7.1 surround sound head set.

I played the first Dead Space with those on and it made a HUGE difference! The sounds came alive and freaked me the hell out!

Oddly enough, back when the first Silent Hill came out, it wasn't the actual game itself, but it was the Easter Egg ending. The UFO ending. Well, not the ending, but getting the ending. You would have to go to certain locations with this amulet and use it and you would see lights in the sky. Freaks me out.

Tiddlywinks.

The first silent hill scared me for sure..and there was also a board game i played when i was a kid called nightmare i think..it came with a vhs and the guy on it was scary as shit lol..

pinkzombieprincess wrote:

The first silent hill scared me for sure..and there was also a board game i played when i was a kid called nightmare i think..it came with a vhs and the guy on it was scary as shit lol..

There most certainly was! I had that game as a kid and...yeah it was fun. I still have friends come over for drinks and we still play it. For one of the best reviews on this game, check out Spoony's video review. Pretty much sums it up.
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2009/10/14/ … re-review/

is that what its called "nightmare"?

Fallout: New Vegas in the beginning. The wasteland filled with all those mutated insects. I hate insects, and when they're huge, it's even worse.

Alien Resurrection for the PS1 was quite scary for me at the time. (i was about 8 and wasn't into horror movies then). Also mainly due to the fact it had top class sound effects and that you were given a pistol at the start which took about 200 shots to kill 1 alien. Not scary now though.
LOL. One of the few games that are better than the movie. Extremely tough though. After level 1 i could not complete another level, even with cheats on. The levels were a complete maze, a confined eerie maze. The Thing which i mentioned in another thread also had some creepy moments (not overly so though) and perfectly captured the mood of Carpenters movie.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-30 13:04:20)

pinkzombieprincess wrote:

is that what its called "nightmare"?

It was called Nightmare, also known as Atmostphere and had many expansion VHS tapes.

none

The first zombie in the 1st Res Evil.  Unexpected 'boo yah!'

Resident Evil II for the PS One had some real 'jump' moments in it. To me, it's still the best Resident Evil game, I wish they would do an update for the PS3.

My uncle used to force me to play a game called "Hide The Salami"... scared the SHIT outta me, literally.

Condemned is pretty damned intense.  And the first Silent Hill is creepy as hell.

The first Dead Space had me going. The sound design in that thing is amazing.

Not so much emotionally scary, but RE2 made me nearly jump outta my chair a bunch!

The original Silent Hill was hands down the scariest game I played although I was about 11 at the time. I must of played the first 2 minutes of the game a hundred times because I kept getting to that wheelchair on its side and freaked out big_smile.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

My uncle used to force me to play a game called "Hide The Salami"... scared the SHIT outta me, literally.

Did you win?

Not that into games but probably Resident Evil 4... That guy with the chainsaw is terrifying...

Also the rats in Duke Nukem 64 used to scare me...

swollenguy wrote:
Zed_Chuva wrote:

Did you win?

Is there any possible winning scenario there? hmm

The first resident evil game made me jump quite a few times actually.

Back in the day when i started gaming in the 90s , Space Hulk gives me the creeps. 

But the last time i got spooked by a game i'm playing is probably one of the fatal frame games in PS2 when i was playing at night in the dark.

Silent Hill 3. A few times I screamed out loud and dropped the controller lol. Then my mum came running in like 'what happened!!!'.

D.Darko wrote:

The original Silent Hill was hands down the scariest game I played although I was about 11 at the time. I must of played the first 2 minutes of the game a hundred times because I kept getting to that wheelchair on its side and freaked out big_smile.

Same for me. Just that I was about 18-20 when I played it. Still the scariest game I ever played. But Dead Space was nice as well.

fmvgamer wrote:

Back in the day when i started gaming in the 90s , Space Hulk gives me the creeps. 

But the last time i got spooked by a game i'm playing is probably one of the fatal frame games in PS2 when i was playing at night in the dark.

Oh yeah, I watched some 'Let's Play' vids of those, and I was freaked out.