Topic: International Independent Video Store Day

This Saturday is International Video Store Day so get into your local video rental store (if you still have one) and support them!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/315735_273542046012999_122060617827810_965008_589646927_n.jpg

Re: International Independent Video Store Day

I'm in the 7th largest city in the country and I can honestly say I am not aware of a single independent video store that still exists here.  Sad.

That is sad DH!  We still have quite a few here locally and I am blessed to have one that specializes in Horror!  That's all he carries...LOL   So I try to support him all I can, plus he is a super nice guy smile

So, in honour of the upcoming Video Store Day on October 15th.... what is your favourite Video Store movie... you know, that movie that you love but had never seen before you found it or had it recommended to you at your local indie video store?

DirtyGirl wrote:

So, in honour of the upcoming Video Store Day on October 15th.... what is your favourite Video Store movie... you know, that movie that you love but had never seen before you found it or had it recommended to you at your local indie video store?

I can't think of a video store within 30 minutes of me, either.  Ah, but for the old video store...
During high school and college, I worked at a Video Update during the summers.  Eventually they just made me a manager when I was around, so I got to order some videos from the catalog.  I can't remember exactly what I ordered, but they were lesser known horror and scifi films.  big_smile

when I got my first car at 16 I used to go to a mom-and-pop shop every weekend and stock up on horror titles - the young guy who worked there used to set new stuff aside especially for me (we were both fledgling horror geeks).  I fondly recall checking out Street Trash upon its initial video release which was just too cool - especially for the time.

Once they had a 100 question film quiz and whomever got the most correct answers got free rentals for a year - can you guess who won that bad boy?  wink
I miss those days.

Here for awhile we did have a cool indy comic shop which carried video rentals and the owner
pretty much let me pick his rental catalog because he thought I had good taste.  (Ha! tongue )
That was great while it lasted until the place changed owners and the new ones were a tad religious - they sold all the adult comics and gore films on the cheap just to get rid of them and that was that.  Did manage to get most of those early Anchor Bay Argento releases for a few bucks a pop so at least there was that.  LOL

edit - what really bummed me out was when our drive-in closed in 2000.  Uber-sad.

^^
Ah, man, I miss drive-ins!  sad

We still have one of those too smile   LOL

Ha!
Just thought of another great suggestion from back in the before times - Frankenhooker!

Anyone remember how you could make the box say "wanna date?" when you pushed a button on the cover?  I so wish I had a copy.  Somebody hook me up.  LOL

^^
Or "Dead Pit," with the zombie guy with the flashing eyes?

hells yeah.  LOL

I just looked up Frankenhooker on VHS at amazon - they have a copy for $75.00 - I would have to assume it talks but it doesn't say.  If not, yikes!  (and even if so - still with the yikes)

I get movies from Netflix, buy and use "other" means as well. There is a video store up the road a few miles but I don't go there much anymore but when I do its usually to buy old used vhs or dvds.

Mostly Amazon.com for me. I usually get used DVD's because of the low cost. Having 5 kids - 'ya gotta pinch them pennies.

drive-Ins... Yea' those were the days. Spent most of my time in the back seats wink  unless there was a good horror, sci-fi, or martial arts movie showing.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-10-12 21:10:50)