Topic: The Blood Trilogy

What do you guys think of HGL's blood trilogy (Blood Feast, 2000 Maniacs, Color Me Blood Red)? I was thinking of buying the new bluray release since they are in widescreen and it is cheaper than the DVD collection. 14 bucks for 3 films seems good to me. I have never seen gem in their entirety and I am sure I would enjoy them, but not only that I think it would be cool to see the beginnings of the gore film, so I feel I would appreciate them anyway, but what are all your opinions on the films?

Re: The Blood Trilogy

$14?  Definitely go for it.  Not masterpieces by any stretch, but I have a soft spot for Lewis.

I never seen any of those. I watched The Wizard of Gore and never made made it past that as far as H.G. Lewis goes. I thought the movie was pretty bad honestly. His films plots' seem to be built around the gore. So WoG was just weird, and I know it was the 60's and all but the f/x is not great to say the least. Not a fan so far, but eventually I would like to check out 2000 maniacs because I did kinda enjoy the remake. Just my two cents.

I give the Blu-ray my highest recommendation.

I got the trilogy about a week ago. They are actually all on one disc but considering that they aren't very long films, they aren't too cramped.

BLOOD FEAST looks great. You might almost mistake it for a real movie smile.  TWO THOUSAND MANIACS and COLOR ME BLOOD RED have their share of grindhouse print wear and tear but they're still pretty decent.

The commentary tracks are fascinating and there's a ton of outtakes.

It's a great deal.

I love seeing a type of film making that truly does not exist anymore. The advent of video and the world of cable TV have killed off the low budget, drive-in movie. We will not see the likes of this again. It's wonderful stuff.

Dex R ; I love seeing a type of film making that truly does not exist anymore. The advent of video and the world of cable TV have killed off the low budget, drive-in movie. We will not see the likes of this again. It's wonderful stuff.

Growing up in San Diego I used to frequent grind house theaters in the late 70's-80's. Man-oh-Man, do I miss the cheap, yet fun thrills they provided. For about a $ 1.50 you could usually see 3 different movies and stay all day/evening re-watching them. Thanks to the likes of QT & RR, they have made a bit of a come back.

V_S: I haven't seen 2000 M, or CMBR. But for the low price of $14.00 for 3 films. If you like even 2 of them. Go for it.

ChainSawWD40-
'Wizard of Gore' is one of his weakest (hey, it's a sliding scale) films.  You should give 'Blood Feast' a look sometime, it's one of his better ones (again, sliding scale).

HGL was a guy who really could care less about quality.  The Wizard in 'Gore' was originally a grip that had no previous acting experience, used only because the actor who was supposed to do the role quit after 1(!) day after seeing what a crock the production was.

You just got to love this stuff; the background(s) for HGL's film(s) is often much more fascinating than the films themselves.

Dex- you're right.  His level of not caring about quality is now reserved only for micro-budget, backyard DV shoots.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-10-13 21:52:23)