Re: Lucio Fulci

I love Zombi 2 and The Beyond. big_smile

But other then that, I have not seen any other Fulci films. I'll get to em' soon though.

Docteur Génessier wrote:

I've only seen Don't Torture a Duckling which isn't really a fair indication of his work, i enjoyed it though although it took me a while to get use to the english dub, the young boy sounds like he's voiced by a middle aged woman Bart Simpson style...but i liked it and i really ought to check out more of his work.

There's no better jumping off point with Fulci than his seminal classic, Zombie.  Others may contest that he's done better work but it's easily his most accessible film, and probably the most logical.

Also strongly recommended: The Beyond, New York Ripper, Gates of Hell/City of the Living Dead and Contraband/The Smuggler.

cheers for the heads up,  I have heard great things about Zombie
The godfather of gore hehe, how can that title not excite anyone

In another direction would be his Gialli films. For me, the best is The Psychic, although A Lizard in a Woman's Skin and Don't Torture a Duckling have more sex and blood.

Unique, raw, visionary, bold, and enigmatic are what come to mind when I think of Lucio Fulci the man and director. I thoroughly enjoy all the movies I have seen that I havent seen all of them mind you but I would say anyone that has posted as their favorite and or considered the best of his movies New York Ripper I would be in complete agreement with those posters. Its truly a vicious movie not just a horror a movie period. One of the most clever ideas ever too is in this movie the duck voice I mean thats as inspired, weird, and unique as it gets.

Ive watched Zombi 2 and New York Ripper, just bought Arrows release of the Beyond which i intended to watch as soon as possible.

Zombie 2 has certainly one or two gross out scenes. One of which is a testament to the impact a director can create on the viewer using traditional FX effects and emphasises, as a director his bold and therefore and ultimately effective technique. Lets just say Dinners served.
This was combined with an overall engaging vision, something which is sacrificed in some modern movies for all out gore.

His obsession with eyes and his knack for stories that ultimately make no sense (usually) makes for perfect 70's-80's exploitation cinema. The Beyond and Zombi 2 are not only gore landmarks (as Vasquez said above, testament to using practical effects) but landmarks on the horror genre that usually gets overlooked by other audiences, which is unfortunate. Also, Cat in the Brain and all of it's insanity along with most all of his other filmography that I've seen have been goretastic and creepy. Except for that god damn kid in House by the Cemetery, that kid really pissed me of in that movie LOL