Topic: Edgar Allen Poe

So, I haven't quite read all of his works, but I've read most of his stories, and I love the guy. big_smile

Anyone else a fan? And if so, what are your favorite stories of his?

For me, it's The Fall of the House of Usher, The Tell-Tale Heart, Cask of Almontillado, and The Pit and the Pendulum.

Re: Edgar Allen Poe

I loveeeee Poe! I think my favorite is The Raven, Fall of the House of Usher, and Annabellelee

are you excited about the movie they are making? with John Cusack?

Ah, The Raven and Annabellelee are both great poems too.

As for the movie, Yes, I'm looking forward to it. Should be interesting!

I love Poe too! My favorite are "The Black Cat", "The Masque of the Red Death", "The Pit and the Pendulum" and "The Tell-Tale Heart". He was a genius in this genre. I read also "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket", a very good book.

Of course.  I have a leather-bound version of his collected works.

2nd only to Lovecraft.

palindorme wrote:

I love Poe too! My favorite are "The Black Cat", "The Masque of the Red Death", "The Pit and the Pendulum" and "The Tell-Tale Heart". He was a genius in this genre. I read also "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket", a very good book.

Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket is the only actual novel that Poe wrote isn't it?
I actually haven't read The Black Cat yet, suprisingly. That one's next on my list.

sleep!  those little snatches of death! how i hate them!

^^
Hey Coreheyu,
Almost everything you just said is incorrect, but I'll be sure to look into your fine locksmithing skills!

Now piss off with your spam.
Reported.

I've read so many through the years it's hard to remember all of them. Some obvious ones are great, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Cask of Amontillado, The Black Cat, and I really love Morella and Ligeia.

Hey Az, if Poe and Lovecraft are your favourite authors, then you must check out Algernon Blackwood, he was a huge influence on Lovecraft and predated his works buy a decade or so. His works a perfect mix of gothic horror and weird fiction. I'm sure you'll dig his work, The Willows and The Wendigo are particularly awesome tales.

Last edited by Theli (2013-04-26 09:57:17)

I'm a big fan.  My favs are The Facts in the Case of M. Valdermar, The Cask of Amontillado, The Premature Burial and Masque of the Red Death.

There's something so dark and encompassing in his style and I feel those bring out that uneasiness most effectively. I read Masque of the Red Death and I see this epic one shot Kubric-esque short film with one hell of a payoff..

@Theli-
Thanks, I've read some of his stuff.  For those interested, most of his work is public domain now.  Find his stuff here.

I published The Premature Burial in the first namesake anthology, and The Oblong Box in the second namesake then in Issue 13 I published The Black Cat.  I read The Tell-Tale Heart in high school and read Fall of The House of Usher in college.  I have the two anthologies in The Edgar Allan Poe Museum with two solo books I've written.  My first collection and my memoir (the memoir has a quote from  Edgar Allan Poe.)

So you're saying you're a fan?